84 J body snow fence - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
84 J body snow fence
Friday, December 25, 2009 2:56 PM
Well, the old girl wouldn't start so I pulled it out of the garage so I could park my truck out of the weather.

I put up 2 rolls of snow fence, (last night). Looks like a J body works just as well or better than the wooden snow fence.

About the starting problem; It was in the garage. When I tried to start it to go to work one day, it seemed to flood out on me. I finally changed the plugs, cap and rotor. No luck. Compression test shows 70-90 psi across all 4 cylinders. Goes up to ~100 psi if I crank it over for a few more seconds. Plenty of spark.

What do you all think? Jumped timeing, intake gasket?
Car has >300,000 miles but the engine has ~40,000. New engine from "The engine shop" in PA.
New fuel pump and filter 4 months ago (was a loose wire on the coil keeping it from running that time)
I may just sell it. We've had it since 1985..........

Re: 84 J body snow fence
Friday, December 25, 2009 2:58 PM
Hers a shot a few years back before the 85 Fiero wheels were installed........

Saturday, December 26, 2009 11:16 AM
WOW! That's a clean vert. Don't sell unless you have to. If I had it that long I'd be hard pressed to sell it. I can't believe it's sitting under all of that snow.
Sunday, December 27, 2009 8:54 PM
At least buy a cover for it!At least my cav sits in the garage year round and covered.Damn it looks cold in that pic.

Monday, December 28, 2009 5:27 PM
Missed the Fiero wheels in the snow pic... Nice color - champagne? I was used to seeing that on 85s with a two tone treatment champagne/chocolate, etc. Somebody must have been hungry when naming the paint. Looks like it works well as a snow fence, hopefully the top is tight

I am always suspect of the coil and ignition modules on these cars since I had my problem two years ago. Mine would just crank and sound like a coli wire was off.

Monday, December 28, 2009 6:00 PM
It is freakin cold. The picture without the snow was taken after a MACO paint job. New lower door skins and new passenger front fender. Those are/were NOS wire wheel covers.
I'm not sure of the exact name of the color but someone here has the same car. Sorry, forget who at the moment.
The floors are shot as are the rockers. The passenger seat is about to fall out. I do have a replacement floor, but with the brake lines and fuel lines in the way, it's not an easy job.
I put the top on years ago, then the paint. The car ran great but used some oil. I let someone barrow the car and within 3 miles of driving it when I got it back, the motor started knocking..........no oil. So..........40,000 miles on the new engine.
The car is fun to drive and handles great.

I found another 84 with low miles, but don't really want Red or white or grey interior............
Wednesday, December 30, 2009 6:11 PM
Your compression sounds kinda low. My Cavalier has 150psi on all cylinders. If all your cylinders are that low I would assume that it jumped time.

Sunday, January 03, 2010 8:47 AM
It sure sounds like it jumped time. What's the easiest way to check?
Remove the timeing belt cover and bump the engine over to see if the marks on the gears line up?
It may be a while before I can do anything.Waiting on parts for my trailer winch, and I don't think the
car is in a good spot for wrenchin.
Thursday, January 07, 2010 9:51 AM
Hey Iowa.... hows that snow fence & J working out? Bet they're both gone for awhile.

Sorry couldn't resist, it's sunny in NJ, but cold. :> Alan
Sunday, January 10, 2010 12:52 PM
Well, I finally got yhe car covered. Notice the OEM antenna?

Alan, I lived in Delaware for over 20 years, I know all about Jerzy.
Since it is such an easy target for razing, I'll just let you be

You do know why "Choosy mothers choose Jif" don't you?

Because Skippy is made in jerzy.

Notice how there is no toll to get in, but they charge you to get out? No one would pay to
go there, but would give anything to get out...

And why is it AGAINST THE LAW to pump your own gas?

Sunday, January 10, 2010 1:39 PM

Well I left myself wide open, and sure as sheet flows downhill & I live in da valley you got me !

Thanks I needed a good laugh. Lived here all my life, that's a long time, and it still manages
to get worse.

Guess we should've imported the Duponts to straighten us out.

Alan

Monday, January 11, 2010 3:54 AM
Well, Jerzy people are ok and the Dupont Company is great, worked for them for 15 years.
Some of the family has some issues though.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search