MP3 Player in my Sunbird - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
MP3 Player in my Sunbird
Tuesday, January 19, 2010 5:57 PM
So I gambled and bought a $5 MP3 player off ebay that is powered by your cig lighter and plays through an FM Modulator. Straight from China.
It plays MP3s off of flash drives. It is not perfect, but the technology is really close. I don't seem to get it in stereo, but I have enough amps in there where is does not really matter...

Thought I would share.

Re: MP3 Player in my Sunbird
Tuesday, January 19, 2010 7:57 PM
I was hoping you were going to tell me how to wire up an AUX IN with the factory tape deck, but cool anyway... maybe a pic or two wouldn't hurt. I'm so tempted to put my factory unit back in, just because I hate the way the CD player looks in there...
Tuesday, January 19, 2010 8:14 PM
Factory units FTW. I saved mine for the next first gen I get

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 3:23 AM
I will post a pic, it works with my tape player, no drilling required

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 4:28 PM
Here You Go-

The only new part is the lighter plug in - You have to add your own flash drive, 800 songs so far...

And just because I love the taillights...

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 4:48 PM
You can do it with the factory tape deck.

There's a nifty piece of early 90s technology with a tape type thingy on one end and a stereophonic jack at the other. This was used in the early days of "walkman" style personal CD players to use in the car equipped with a tape deck.

Get yourself one of those (hard to find, but still available at stores like Worst Buy) and stick the jack into the earphone jack of your MP3 player--TA DA!

sometimes, it's good to be a geek...Where there's a Wayne, there's a way.
Wednesday, January 20, 2010 4:58 PM
I had one of those that I udes with my Treo. The thing I hated was the fact that my tape player kept wanting to eject it...

I am sure there are many ways to do this. I am sticking with this one as it saves the $50 I was gonna pay to have an Aux In drilled into my stock head unit.

Thursday, January 21, 2010 10:08 AM
I was also thinking last night about ripping the earbuds off and lining a set of earphones into the speaker harness leaving the plug coming out from behind the dashboard.
Wednesday, February 03, 2010 6:06 PM
OK, I love this thing.

It is now working perfectly. I keep my fave 200 songs on it.

If anyone is in need of the tape player input that Wayne mentioned , I have one gathering dust - give me your addy and I will send it to you.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search