Wiper Motor Issues and more ... - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Wiper Motor Issues and more ...
Sunday, February 14, 2010 4:04 PM
So, I mentioned in another POST that my Wiper motor appears to have a mind of its own.
In Delay mode (or any mode actually) they sometimes stop mid-window and then no matter where the switch is positioned they don’t move. Then with no operator action they wipe again. I suspect as bad ground or dirty contact somewhere.

So I continued snooping. Took out the wiper motor and noticed the female connector has overheated a few times. But the motor and circuit card seem to work fine. Ran them while they were laying on top of the air cleaner no problems.

Then I noticed this white Relay part number 10032082 was chattering on the firewall I disconnected it (it stopped … go figure) But I noticed its connector has overheated a few times too! (Subsequent search of part# says it’s the AC compressor relay)

I reconnected it, restarted the car, the chattering stopped.

I put the Wiper motor back on the car. It worked then shut off car turn key to Aux. and just started the wipers and WAH LA!! the blades stopped mid window. I tapped the box (circuit card) on the front of wiper motor and wipers began working again.

Why are these connectors overheating?
Why does the AC relay chatter randomly?
Why do wipers stop intermittently?
Why does tapping on the circuit card on the wiper motor restart them?

Any thoughts out there??
Thanks

Re: Wiper Motor Issues and more ...
Sunday, February 14, 2010 7:23 PM
Bob-

I wish I could help here. I pulled my ac and my wipers are old school no delay.

My AC relay did cycle quite often from what I can remember.

Re: Wiper Motor Issues and more ...
Tuesday, February 16, 2010 10:37 PM
Well my 85 cav has the delay feature or intermittent.And from time to time the wipers do come on and make one rotation and go back to the resting position for no reason.I do not have a answer other than maybe it is a little dust,crap build up on the switch that may cause the problem.It only happens occasionally but ,the wiper work great all speeds,and so forth.If I find anything that seems out of the norm I will post it up.It is weird for sure when you do not engage it and it just freaking comes on and wipes for no reason.Heck it could be the wiper motor relay with gm stuff it is loco.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search