Winter Projects? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Winter Projects?
Wednesday, February 03, 2010 6:04 PM
So I am done with the Z28 for the present and am back to the Sunbird.

I am doing the neutral safety switch. Then may move on to the following:

Washer bottle move from firewall to strut tower

Chase mystery mass oil leak... (not head, not turbo supply, not turbo return, not valve cover, not pan, wtf is it???)

Steering outer tie rods (grease bags are shot and appear to be part of the unit)

Rear Shocks and spring perches

Rear sway bar hardware and powder cote

Play with intercooler piping and look for way to shorten the path to reduce boost build time

Really need to save for new top and window...

Re: Winter Projects?
Wednesday, February 03, 2010 6:28 PM
They make this blacklight fluorescent stuff that you put in your oil and run the car. Then you use a blacklight and trace the glowing oil trail.

Im saving cash for my Tein basics or a 240sx depends on it I can find a nice one.

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 6:46 PM
TheSundownFire (JBO Chat) wrote:They make this blacklight fluorescent stuff that you put in your oil and run the car. Then you use a blacklight and trace the glowing oil trail..

Best way to find a leak. They also make the dye for trans fluid, coolant, and freon FYI.
Thursday, February 04, 2010 3:43 PM
I have the dye and am using that, I was just venting frustration...

It took me quite a while to chase a power steering leak on my Camaro. but I eventually found it.

Anybody doin anything else?

Thursday, February 04, 2010 5:12 PM
Yeah, just fixed my exhaust--so glad I still had a wire hanger from the last trip to the dry cleaners...

Really, it's too frickin cold to fix it for now, but that will be priority #1 come better weather (and this is supposed to be an el nino year--bullsh*t)

So now I'm hanging out mostly inside and playing all the video games (love those drums on Guitar Hero--I'm up to the hard level now); and working on more shows (I've set an ambitious schedule for myself on that front). I'll be testing my latest show at the end of this month. Also trolling the internet looking for bank-owned and short sale homes, don't know if I'll find anything worthwhile in my vulture venture. In doing that, I did happen to stumble across that lip spoiler for Closer, but I have to find a way to get the part now. Possibly a midnight acquisition is in order

Finally, all my studying and hard work almost paid off, I missed by 4 on the Jeopardy test the other week.
Saturday, February 06, 2010 3:47 AM
Come tax time combined with a small bonus from work the vert will be getting the much needed upgrades that I've been wanting. Who know's, there maybe another car in the future.
Saturday, February 06, 2010 4:51 AM
Paul
That’s quite a list!

My winter project this year is overhauling the engine in my 96 firebird (V6). It’s my first engine overhaul so, slow going is the word. At 53 you think I might have would have tried this sooner, must be like a second childhood thing…
The engine is out. Transmission separated, and suspension components also need attention. The car came from upstate NY so there is quite a bit of rust and the undercarriage needs some “lovin as well”

The Skyhawk’s list continues to grow although I’m trying not to get distracted from the overhaul.

Currently The headlight doors have gremlins. They open sometimes and sometimes not (any suggestions or wiring diagrams are welcome) not really sure what make the doors stop once they get into the correct position.

Also Wiper motor appears to have a mind of its own. In Delay mode they sometimes stop mid-window and then no matter where the switch is positioned they don’t move. Then with no operator action they wipe again. I suspect as bad ground or dirty contact somewhere. I probably should have made these separate posts.

Well, That’s what is keeping Bob busy this winter. (Its doing a pretty good job of it too!)

Good luck with your oil leak!
Saturday, February 06, 2010 2:31 PM
I'll speak for Motorman here and say he's busy with the shovel! He had about 2 feet of snow a month ago and just got slammed with another 2 feet! I dodged the bullet with only 6" here--how about everyone else?
Saturday, February 06, 2010 9:03 PM
We missed out on the snow here in MI, for the moment anyhow.

I got the car up on ramps. Found a few leaks, ps pressure hose, dye picked up leak from turbo return line and oil pressure sending unit. Also looks like main might be leaking between trans and engine. Gonna fix the small ones and wipr down and see where we are.

NSS was not fun, looks like the swiches I picked up off the donor cars (Pontiac Lemans) will not work. They appear to be a similiar part, but are clocked a little differently. Looks like I will be buying an ebay part and getting it together that way.

Did finally get some pics of the sway bar on the car.

Saturday, February 06, 2010 9:54 PM
So with the oil pressure sending unit, do they just leak over time? Or should I just pull it off and try and reseal it?

BTW - My NSS does not look like is available - the eBAY one appears to be off an X-Car (where my 4 speed came from) but it is upside down to what I need. grrr

Sorry no pics yet, there seems to be an issue with me adding them to cardomain.

Sunday, February 07, 2010 8:39 PM
I was so going to say check your oil pressure sender!!But some other ideas popd up.Paul u DEF should replace the sender.I speak from exper mine starting leaking and I mean like a river while on the interstate.Lost two qts in two miles.I lucked out at a garage close and they had the right part((I was like uh ok).That was yrs ago now.I just finished most of the heavy duty work on my pick up it's a 87 mazda.Short list new timingbelt,waterpump(tb driven),new radiator,new heater core,new pwr strg pulley bearing.Tim/belt at age to change,pump was leaking,rad way old poor circul,and core orig and not throwing heat out quick any more.The heater core required me to pull the dash out(not bad but there is a learning curve)U really pull it loose and I used a bungee cord to hold it up.The pulley bearing froze up(I managed to remove the belt its been noisy for awhile before it really locked up.I drove around with manual for two days whatevr.I plan on working on the cav this WEEK.I got to get it inspected safety only then start the dreaded new axles both sides and replace the input shaft seal that also leaks like a ocean.

Monday, February 08, 2010 6:23 PM
Well, not much here... Started tearing down the 318 in my Belvedere, but then made a deal for a low mileage '86 Dodge truck, so just gonna pull its 318 for the Belvedere. However, I owe an AODE to the guy, but it's still in Mark VII I'll be parting out. Waiting on the ground to dry out enough that I can finally move the Mark though... I'm SO ready for Spring... Have also been slowly parting out a '76 Malibu... and dealing with idiots on craigslist trying to sell an older BMW... I've also acquired a '79 Camino that needs a few little things. It will probably get tagged, and I'll let the Skyhawk tags lapse in a month or so. Probably just leave the Buick sitting a while, so I can get a few things done to it. Still got selling the Buick in the back of my mind. Don't want to, but don't really need it anymore, and I have too many cars...
Tuesday, February 09, 2010 5:31 PM
The longer you hang on to that Hawk, the better position I'm in to buy it...
Sunday, February 14, 2010 7:22 PM
Pressure Sender done - $36 more thrown in the $$$ pit. No leaks now.

Will drive and see what fluid drops next

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 10:23 PM
Good news finally got the cavalier RUNNING again! Getting the timing dialed in was a pain but,it is cherry now.Going for a state inspection for safety then park it for awhile.I have new axles awaiting and def a new input shaft seal that is leaking like a ocean.It was so cool to hear it run and burn the antiseize and new paint on the engine and just run period after over a year of sitting in the garage.I will start the axle job soon but,still have some work to do on the daily new front brakes,bearings and such before it will happen.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 10:53 AM
Why get the inspection if it is going to sit and be put up on jack stands?
Wednesday, February 17, 2010 7:33 PM
Inspection was two months out,and have to do this to keep my registration current.NC requires having this done in order to keep your tag sticker up to date.Either way I want to be able to drive it once I do the front axles and shaft seal regardless.It sure was fun driving it after it has sat for a yr already and needed to be driven so,I could check for any leaks from the work I did.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 6:39 PM
Wayne, if it like my sunbird, there is a control module that is mounted on the driver strut tower. From what I can tell (from earlier headaches) the control unit uses a current limiter breaker in combination with a timer. So unlike earlier camaros that have upwards of 4 switches to determine the open/closed position of the headlamp doors, the control module uses a timer and if the load is to much, opens the circuit. I would pull the headlamp assembly from the car and open the motor internals and oil the internal and external bushings to free up the mechanics. I believe the last module I found was off of a late 80's Pontiac Firebird. I had to reverse the polarity of the passenger side motor because the motors were out of phase. I was odd looking having the car constantly 'wink' at you. Hope this helps.
Wednesday, February 24, 2010 1:15 PM
uhh...that's Bob's car
Thursday, February 25, 2010 7:02 PM
just got my new rear shocks in the mail

Monday, March 01, 2010 9:06 PM
I am sitting on my hands right now with my cav.I am really considering doing a rear brake job(need to buy the drums) and go ahead and buy the new rear wheel bearing assembly and replace the parking brake cables first.Then jump onto the front end axles and seal issue which I have.I really would prefer to wait and save the cash to do the struts the whole deal(quick strut package) new,strut,spring,mts since I will have to be working around them on the axle job.Plus if I do this I will be doing new paint on the a arms and new paint,and or undercoating all at the same time.Down fall the quick struts cost about 175.00 a piece but ,those front springs are kinda weak after 25 yrs and the struts are def TOAST.Btw I have all the other brake components for the rear already,new everything aside from the drums as stated.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search