Tie Rod Grease Boot? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tie Rod Grease Boot?
Saturday, June 13, 2009 5:35 AM
My grease boots on both sides are cracked and leaking. It does not look like they are included with the tie rod kit.

Any thoughts of where to get these? Or another name they might go by?

Re: Tie Rod Grease Boot?
Saturday, June 13, 2009 6:21 PM
Would that be the outer cv joint boot?

My original Hawk was hit in the RF, and I was forever replacing the boot on the right since the body shop didn't quite fix it right. I found that using silicone spray on the boots kept them soft.
Sunday, June 14, 2009 2:49 PM
Paul, went crazy with the tie rod splitter I see >:o

The actual name is/ are tie rod end seals/boots. I use SpeedwayMotors.com

If it keeps the dirt/crud from roundy-round cars out, it's good enough for me !

Plug in these numbers or call the very nice folks in tech & ask about them.

910-01500 for the Seals-it type or

916-18112 these are complete kits, but they don't always put the zillion of items they have in catalog(s)

Alan
Sunday, June 14, 2009 4:12 PM
Alan-

You are THE MAN. They actually just split from age. Do I have to pull everything apart to replace them?

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 1:56 PM
Alan-

No w for the million dollar question. Do you happen to know the size? They have 3 choices. I don't happen to have a mic available to measure...

Definately going with speedway if I can get the size, they were very friendly.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 2:36 PM
Paul...Paul, what'a you gonna do when i'm gone.

Stud measures 5/8". That is usually what is used for the measurement. If perhaps you'd like to jot this down on your bathroom wall for future reference.... the base or largest area of boot is: 1 37/64".

Yes, you must use dreaded tie rod splitter to install these, they don't come in pieces. Helps if you coat everything with some anti seize before inserting back into position. Just'a little dab will do ya !

Have fun, don't forget to use a jackstand, stuff rag in mouth for when you whack knuckles with hammer, cause ya missed the splitter. Remember you split the tie rod, not your skin.........

FWIW... they have six sizes in the Seals-It line: 5/16-3/8-7/16-1/2-5/8-3/4" part # 910-01500 to 910-01505

Alan
Wednesday, June 17, 2009 11:46 AM
Quote:

Have fun, don't forget to use a jackstand, stuff rag in mouth for when you whack knuckles with hammer, cause ya missed the splitter. Remember you split the tie rod, not your skin.........

This is part of my tool kit:

Saves damage and works quick.
Wednesday, June 17, 2009 5:04 PM
Hey Slow, how ya doing ? Now you know us old knuckle dragging neanderathal mechanics wouldn't have a nice fancy tool like that ! After all.... wth would I do with my massive collection of big hammers !

Alan
Saturday, June 20, 2009 11:47 AM
Things are good here. Busy as always but it keeps me from noticing the weeks fly by.

That tool is nice. Banged a lot of skin before I bought it. We've got some newer vans in the fleet with aluminum steering knuckles. Turns out aluminum knuckles take a hammer hit worse than a caveman's knuckle. Kit with that tool is cheaper than new knuckle, so it's worth the investment.

Shannen
Saturday, June 20, 2009 2:38 PM
Slow, sure am glad all's well with you. Ahhhh, give me a break, i've got a new improved neanderthal hammer for those aluminum knuckles. Gotta keep on top of automotive improvements don't we? It's a beauty, has this knobby wooden knarled handle, and to lessen the damage, it has a sandstone head, not granite ! Snap-off maybe????

Talk about progress...................... Alan
Wednesday, June 24, 2009 4:09 PM
Sandstone frowned on here in the Granite State. Snap-off, knock-off. Quality's falling off the map. Wouldn't be surprised to find Japanese Beetles at the VW dealer. But at least they're not having a fire sale to raise $$.

Monday, April 05, 2010 7:46 PM
Well, I finally ended up getting on this. I replaced the entire driver side tie rod end link with a nice sealed unit, right from China. For $15, it seemed like I might as well go that route.

I will get to the passenger side at some point. Not a real bad job, I used a 3 jaw puller and it came off with a nice, healthy SNAP!

Happy Wrenching.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search