1.8 Turbo Charge Pipe? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1.8 Turbo Charge Pipe?
Monday, April 05, 2010 7:49 PM
Anybody know where I can get an extra stock 1.8 turbo charge pipe?

I want to experiemnet with adding a bov and NOT using my intercooler.

Re: 1.8 Turbo Charge Pipe?
Tuesday, April 06, 2010 5:50 PM
Well, I had a 2.0 pipe and cut it to fit. Needless to say, the response is better. Still have to get the bov dialed in...

Friday, April 09, 2010 6:48 AM
Paul, your turbos response will be better w/o tthe i/cooler. You must remember that adding the i/c increases the area of volume the charge from turbo must fill up, before engine receives any boost. While it isn't a very large area, unless you added one of those gonzo large i/c's, it must never the less fill it up and the necessary charge piping. All to often this increase in filling prolongs boost, making any further useable boost fall into the not to desireable surge area.

The whole idea of i/c's is only to reduce air charge temeratures, thus reducing detonation, changing air density and as a side bonus, boost may be able to be increased. On street driven vehicles, unless a seperate water/air i/c and water supply is used, you run into the nasty heat soak problems.

BOV's are installed to bleed off boost when using a non-internal wastegate turbo or to relieve the pressure before the throttle body when the throttle is snapped closed...while still in boost mode.

This prevents the turbos boost from backing up and actually stalling the turbines speed down, because the boost can't get past the closed throttle body. Standing outside the car or listening really good you can actually hear the turbo stalling or making strange noises, not that BOV's don't make noise. There are 2 types of valves, noisey with lost of noise and the more muffled style. Several states have clamped down on the loud type as noise pollution, same as the compression release engine brakes diesel tractor trailers employ. Needless to say the exhaust pressure still incoming to the turbo won't appreciate anything slowing down the compressor turbines !

Alan
Friday, April 09, 2010 11:34 AM
I have a 89' 2.0 turbo and I have been thinking on the same lines Paul. After looking at my original intake pipe and seeing how much the lower section was blistered from heat, I got to thinking how to lower the air charge w/o an intercooler. Why not just route a 2 1/2" pipe out front in the air stream where the
inter-cooler would be located, install a manual boost control valve,map bleed valve,and a good blow-off valve then watch it fly!
Thursday, April 22, 2010 6:37 PM
So have it back together and running. I floor it in first and it builds right away and shreds the tires at 4k.

I think I am on to something here. Now on to the bov...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search