Do I Need to Buy a Tool? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Do I Need to Buy a Tool?
Thursday, April 15, 2010 4:49 PM
OK, it's been about 15 years since I've done brakes on a Hawk, so I'm trying to remember if I need a specific tool for my brakes...

I think it was the caliper bolt that used an allen wrench, or did it need one of those torx head thingys? One of my cars had that and I can't remember if it was the 92 Grand Prix or the Hawk. I just remember that I had a set of those torx heads, only used them once and now all these years later I can't find them. I also know I had to use the smallest one in the set and it barely fit (yeah, if it didn't fit, I forced it).

If it is one of those, any idea what size, I have 13" wheels if that makes any difference.

Re: Do I Need to Buy a Tool?
Thursday, April 15, 2010 7:14 PM
My 84 has the torx head (T-40)

Thursday, April 15, 2010 8:19 PM
You know I have not bothered to check my cav for that myself.If I get enthusiastic I will let you know on mine as well.

Friday, April 16, 2010 9:06 AM
My 89' Sunbird has T50 torx head and the 92' and up ABS style have T55 torx heads.
Friday, April 16, 2010 10:42 AM
Had to go and but a torx attachment for my 95 grand am. don't remember the size though. too bad they arent like chryslers and just use a #11 socket.

Friday, April 16, 2010 12:02 PM
My 97 Grand Am GT didn't need it, that was just a normal bolt/screw/whatever.

I'm kinda thinking it was my first Hawk that I got it for and then found I could use it on my 92 Grand Prix.

I'll be mine matches Paul's '84 and I'll need the T-40. Good thing is I just might have one of those in my old vending machine repair tool kit from when I had that lousy job.
Friday, April 16, 2010 3:53 PM
My 94 Camaro is different, takes an allen key instead of the torx.

I was thinking of doing a brake upgrade off a newer Sunbird like I am doing on the Camaro, but I want to keep my 14" rims so we stay stock for now...

Friday, April 16, 2010 5:54 PM
If you have the 14" aluminum turbo rims they do clear the calipers of the larger 92'-94' Sunbird setup because I know someone that has those rims on his 1999 Sunfire and I installed a set on a 93' Sunbird myself onetime, but that brake upgrade is a good upgrade to do.
Tuesday, April 20, 2010 7:42 AM
Want a good laugh? Go to the beginning of this thread and read my first post, then come back down and read this post...

Turns out I need a T-50 on mine. Of course I find this out when the car is jacked up with the wheels off and I only bought the T-40. I looked through my vending machine tools and had several smaller sizes, but not a T-40 (or a T-50 for that matter). So I called up a friend of mine to see if maybe he had any Torx tools and he says...here's the funny part...well I have that set you gave me years ago!

So that's what happened to it. I gave it to him since he was still heavy into working on cars and I didn't want to deal with them anymore (I guess I changed my mind). So he brought over the set and I find my memory was a little off--it was the largest one in the set, not the smallest.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search