turbo engine question - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
turbo engine question
Tuesday, April 20, 2010 1:57 PM
It seems that since the majority of the factory turbo cars are first gen's maybe someone here knows if it is possible to run a 92 2.0 n/a engine off a 2.0 turbo intake, wiring and ecm.

I have installed a 93 n/a head and camshaft on my old 87 Sunbird a few years ago so I know the distributor is a straight bolt on, but not so sure about the signal for fuel timing on the multi-port fuel injection. How do the Turbo M.P.F.I engines recieve their fuel signal, from the distributor or the crankshaft?

My plan was to install to pistons, connecting rods and camshaft from the turbo engine to the newer n/a engine and run it on 10lbs of boost with head studs.

Re: turbo engine question
Saturday, April 24, 2010 5:58 AM
Lewis-

I think what you want to do is possible, but may not be worth the effort. It seems like a lot of work for 10lbs of boost on a 2.0. Did you start with a LT3 and grenade it?

Sunday, April 25, 2010 6:21 AM
Yes, the car I own now is a 89 GT and the LT3 engine is toast.
I have a 92 2.0 engine with 37'000 and it is like new so my plan is to install the forged pistons from the LT3 to lower the compression then keep the boost at the factory 10lbs area. Since I have a turbocharger,downpipe,inter-cooler, turbo E.C.M and 2 spare LT3's already the only coin this will cost me is for the head studs, so it is worth doing.
I want to know if I will have issues with the M.P.F.I crankshaft index on the 92 engine because it uses a crank sensor in the block that indexes both spark and fuel but the LT3 has a brass plug where the sensor would be, there are people that have done this before I just need the talk to one.
Sunday, April 25, 2010 10:15 AM
Lewis-

I can't help with that one. If you have not tried already, I would post it at v6z24.com, they tend to get a little more technical on that site, especially with swaps. There are some more knowledgeable folks on here as well, maybe one of them will comment...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search