Newbie here with my '86 Z24 Convertible - Page 4 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Newbie here with my '86 Z24 Convertible
Monday, October 19, 2009 9:19 PM
Wayne Schiff wrote:You can use the Dexcool, just can't use those factory gaskets from the era. Now they still use Dexcool, but a different material is used for the gaskets.

I still don't blame ya!

Or you can convert the top end over to the previous intake design and bypass the coolant issue all together. I used the 3100 block with 2.8 heads and intake. The combustion cambers are both 28cc so you can mount the old style heads and intake without any issue. The only thing you will have to buy separately is a set of push rods for a '95 3100 block because '95 was the first year for that design and it has a roller cam but not rockers so the push rods are different length from the '96+ block and the 3.1('90-'94).

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 11:03 AM
I don't think I've shared this little idea yet. I am thinking of doing heat extractors on my cowl hood. This is a pic of the type of hood that I had on my GTO. It's an RMR hood, this one is a carbon fiber one, but you get the idea.

And this is what I found on ebay last night. I don't think it will follow the lines of the hood, but it's generally what I'm going to use. These are off of an '82-'92 T/A.

Whatcha think?
Wednesday, October 21, 2009 5:50 PM
Funny--I was planning on heat extractors too!

I want to take some measurements first so I can get a better idea of how they would look, but I want to grab a pair off a Z-34.

I don't have a cowl hood.

I considered the TA ones, but that would look too obvious as to the origin (at least that's my opinion, but I'm such a huge TA fan the obvious might just be in my head).
Wednesday, October 21, 2009 6:08 PM
Wayne Schiff wrote:Funny--I was planning on heat extractors too!

I want to take some measurements first so I can get a better idea of how they would look, but I want to grab a pair off a Z-34.

I don't have a cowl hood.

I considered the TA ones, but that would look too obvious as to the origin (at least that's my opinion, but I'm such a huge TA fan the obvious might just be in my head).

If your wanting to stay "incagnito" then the Z34's might be the way to go. They are sublte, but you know they're there.

I looked.....*gasp*.....for some heat extractors for sport compacts and couldn't find any that would really work. If I get the T/A's I'll have to do some modding to them to make them flow with the hood.

Let me know what you go with.

This is the other mod that I had in mind for the bumper. I want to put round fogs in the bumper like this truck. I still can't find an old school S-10 that has this same setup, but here is a late model that will give a hint of what I'm talking about.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 6:45 PM
Yeah, the problem with the TA ones is the curved hood of the TA, so they might not just pop in.

I found a Z-34 at the junkyard on my last trip, got all excited as I approached to get the extractors from the hood, and one was missing--WHO THE F**K ONLY NEEDS ONE OF THOSE!!!!

Considering the boxy look of the 86 z-24, I would go with rectangular fog lamps, and place them about an inch from the corners.

My wife as a 2002 S-10 with factory fog lamps, and the fogs are bundled in with the headlights, not down low. These were aftermarket fogs to go along with the bumper.
Friday, December 11, 2009 7:03 PM
Wayne Schiff wrote:Considering the boxy look of the 86 z-24, I would go with rectangular fog lamps, and place them about an inch from the corners.

Well, Wayne....this is what I had in mind to do with the fogs and maybe a SS hood.

Friday, December 11, 2009 7:10 PM
The fogs could work, the hood is epic fails.

Do a Z cowl hood, or a old school 2" traditional cowl.

Friday, December 11, 2009 7:29 PM
notta fan of this idea

JGM T-SHIRTS!!!!

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Alexis: Dustin, you're ghey, lol. I am better. I have tits, and tits rule all.

Friday, December 11, 2009 7:52 PM
Broke Status wrote:The fogs could work, the hood is epic fails.

Do a Z cowl hood, or a old school 2" traditional cowl.

I have a cowl hood and was also thinking of doing heat extractors with the cowls.
Friday, December 11, 2009 7:53 PM
I SATCHMOE YOU!!!! wrote:notta fan of this idea

What about doing it with the rectangular fogs in the place of the rounds? I think that the rounds would look better closer together.
Friday, December 11, 2009 8:38 PM
I think if your gonna run any fogs, hide them behind the opening in the bumper... There is enough lights on the gen1 bumpers. lol.

Saturday, December 12, 2009 6:16 AM
Paul Siebert wrote:

What about doing it with the rectangular fogs in the place of the rounds? I think that the rounds would look better closer together.

The hood is the main thing too curvy for a 1st gen.

The fogs recessed into the bumper could work it gives it a more OEM feel then some fogs added to the openings. But I also Have to agree there already is alot of forward facing lights on these cars.

JGM T-SHIRTS!!!!

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Alexis: Dustin, you're ghey, lol. I am better. I have tits, and tits rule all.

Saturday, December 12, 2009 10:35 AM
I SATCHMOE YOU!!!! wrote:
Paul Siebert wrote:

The hood is the main thing too curvy for a 1st gen.

The fogs recessed into the bumper could work it gives it a more OEM feel then some fogs added to the openings. But I also Have to agree there already is alot of forward facing lights on these cars.

I'm realing starting to dislike the SS hood, especially for the reason you gave. The round lights I just can't seem to shake though. This is the inspirration that sparked the idea....

Granted the Cavalier is square compared to the Camaro, it still gives the Cavy a different look. I think it'll look better to everyone with a full body shot at an angle.....I'll try to get one made.

I've found some other hoods and I'm waiting to get them PS'd.
Saturday, December 12, 2009 5:37 PM
What about putting the turn signals in/behind the grill, and using those slots for fogs?
Saturday, December 12, 2009 6:56 PM
closer9 wrote:What about putting the turn signals in/behind the grill, and using those slots for fogs?

I have thought of the, sir. Spooky....we're on the same wave of thought.
Wednesday, January 13, 2010 5:20 PM
Just started my new photobucket acount, so don't mind me. Lowered the fogs to where I wanted them originally.

Friday, April 09, 2010 5:24 PM
Well, why is it that when we get some cash saved up to do something, other issues pop up? Got a crack in one of our toilets and have to fix that. We had to buy a riding mower since the old one finally went. Now there is no more cash for the suspension I was going to get for the vert. I have a little put back for another project that I'm getting in a few weeks though. I refuse to let the cash go for something else besides the future project. I sure hope the OT keeps up at work so I can start putting back the cash for the suspension/brakes.

I did manage to pick up some goodies last Saturday before I found out about toilet and lawn mower.

Goodies for the future car:

Header panel w/flip-ups off of a Sunbird GT
Four fender flares
One good usable door
Front bumper

Just thought I'd let everyone know what was going on with the vert. Obviously not much. Hope everbody elses projects are going well.
Saturday, April 10, 2010 12:00 PM
Quote:

Got a crack in one of our toilets and have to fix that.

Was there any consturction going on nearby? Friend of mine had the same issue years ago but it was due to road construction for a new development right across the street from him. Unfortunately he ended up having to do a claim thru his insurance because the developer refused to pay for repairs and told him he could keep it in courts for years.

Sunday, April 18, 2010 5:56 AM
Spike J wrote:
Quote:

Got a crack in one of our toilets and have to fix that.

Was there any consturction going on nearby?

Nope. Finally found out what it was though and it is an easy fix The three bolts that hold the tank to the bowl are leaking. On to the next home improvement .

On a good note I did find someone close by that does new tops. He is less than half the price of the other place I originally went to. Top an labor.......$750. Can a glass rear window be installed in our cars? He was showing that he could get one for it. The way the top folds it would be impossible. Any idea, vert guys?
Sunday, May 30, 2010 6:21 AM
Just giving an update on the car. Bottom line......it ain't runnin' . Since the wife is out of a job for the next school year I won't have the $$$$ to fix it. If she manages to pick something up and the O/T holds up at work then I might be able to get the rest of the things needed to drop the 3100 in . Ahhh, we all eventually get there, right?
Sunday, May 30, 2010 8:24 PM
I feel your pain.My 1987 mazda truck I have owned since new well the rear end differential is well toast.Short version mazda is doing my work and found a used one and gonna swap it.However I found a mazda site that sells every part for the rear end however mazda no longer does(my guess just to old to make being a manuf).So I am gonna keep the old one and when the used one chokes I will buy the gears I need that will be NEW,and reuse my old rearend.Rough cost 1k so far.So any new extras for my cav are out the door for a while.When it sucks it does alot!!! At least I do have the front axles for the cav,thats my next project literally,all the suspension stuff will have to wait.Oh gotta by a puller first for the job whatever.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search