Can this work? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Can this work?
Thursday, June 03, 2010 12:46 PM
I have a sunroof in my car, and of course it leaks, and we all know how easy it is to get that taken care of...yeah!

So I'm thinking of taking out the glass and having a body shop weld some sheet metal over the hole and then sanding down the welds to smooth it out and blend in with the roof. Then I can get a non-sunroof car's headliner out of a junkyard and have my ultra-crafty wife stretch/sew some fabric to match my red interior and it will look like I never had a sunroof.

Can that work, or is there a better/easier/cheaper way to accomplish the same task?

Re: Can this work?
Thursday, June 03, 2010 12:56 PM
its cheaper to get it fixed, and u need to make sure the body shop can do that correctly,

if it can't win a race it better win a show
Thursday, June 03, 2010 8:26 PM
I appreciate any input, but as I've said on other posts with what is for most people here a basic question "i'm not that smart", I have to ask, since no parts are available (weatherstripping I'm guessing is the issue), how could it be fixed?

This is the main reason I'm thinking the best thing would be to cover it up.
Thursday, June 03, 2010 8:32 PM
I had an electric slider put in my extended cab Z71. The shop cut the opening in the rood too far back. The glass would not fully open since it would hit the rear of the cab.
They had to have the opening welded shut and then recut it correctly.
So they can do it.
They gave me $300 off the price so I was happy.
Friday, June 04, 2010 8:11 AM
It definitely can be welded, but panel adhesive would be better.
Friday, June 04, 2010 1:24 PM
I seem to be getting closer to what I'm hoping to find...bottom line is it can be covered, the body shop should be able to do it, the only thing wrong with what I asked is that welding is not the answer?

Awesome!
Saturday, June 05, 2010 7:49 AM
Why not just get an aftermarket Sunroof?

Saturday, June 05, 2010 2:49 PM
Because just like this one, which I believe is not truly factory, they all leak and I don't want to bother with that again.
Tuesday, June 08, 2010 12:33 PM
what year? if i'm correct, 1st gens and second gens have the same sun roof, i had to swap the latch from my 1st gen to my 2nd gen... and it worked, and as far as i can tell by looking at them, they are the same size aswell.
Tuesday, June 08, 2010 1:11 PM
It's an 85, but it's leaking at more places than just the latch--that was where it began and it wasn't so bad, but now it's at the front as well. It goes into the headliner and that soaks up as much as it can, which then dries out while the car sits in the sun, but I really just want to cover it up and be done with it if at all possible.

Also, since I found a hatchback with a perfect headliner (not even sagging), does that fit the coupe?
Friday, July 02, 2010 9:49 PM
i would just fix it...cheaper and nicer to me then a plain roof.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3062549

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search