84 Turbo Sunbird Vert? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
84 Turbo Sunbird Vert?
Sunday, June 20, 2010 2:35 PM
Well, my 84 Sunbird vert is getting a little tired, and rusty. I've found another rust free 84 vert convertible turbo. Was the turbo available in 84? It dosn't have the turbo hood. Any problems with these? I know I can upgrade the turbo later, but am not looking for a project right now.
I can get it for a grand. Cruise, gauges auto.
It's dark brown with a dark brown top. I've never seen this color combo either.
Any thoughts?

Re: 84 Turbo Sunbird Vert?
Sunday, June 20, 2010 7:01 PM
Hey Iowa,

'84 was 1st year for the turbo motor, and it was avail in the convertible. Turbo hood came w/ the turbo (S/E) package. Either the hood got yanked (most probable) or someone added the turbo (less likely). Here is proof of the package

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/691/1761/26725880027_large.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2672588/r1&h=768&w=1024&sz=421&t bnid=RYscCVoMZjxksM:&tbnh=113&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3D1984%2Bpontiac%2Bsunbird&hl=en&usg=__rnAoPHmHpuJCfdA8iEYZ1K9uFTk=&sa=X&ei=GsYeTOTEK4T78AaAi8nGDA&ved=0CB4Q9QEwAA

I'll let others more knowlegeable than I to speak on the turbo 1.8 package reliability but as a onetime owner of an '85 mine was not that great. The turbos simply did not last that long even back in the day and by the early '90s they had largely evaporated from landscape.
Sunday, June 20, 2010 8:53 PM
My 84 came with the flat hood. I had thought the vented hood was an 85 and up item...

Sunday, June 20, 2010 9:04 PM
John-

By the way that is a fine reference link to my cardomain page. Mine started as no spoiler, and no vented hood.

I always loved the champagne/chocolate combo but I thought that was 85 as well.

I have owned my car since 1990 and it has not been the most relaiable. I love the way it looks and will keep it as long as I can. I have a much faster Camaro, but the Sunbird soothes my soul. The turbo is fine, my issues have been more distributor and ecm related. But it those don't work, you are not going anywhere... Make sure the turbo timer and fan are working, this is key. Head gaskets are a weak area that can be expensive.

My car has responded well to mods, may do a bigger turbo at some point.

Monday, June 21, 2010 5:35 PM
Thanks everyone. The 1984 I have now must be "Champagne". We bought it from dealer new in 1985. They kept it for a year so thier daughter could drive it.
The one I am looking at is dark brown with the same brown interior as my current one. The new one has remote passenger mirror, p/w, p/l, tilt, cruise, gauges
original stereo and the turbo. 118,000 miles.
My old 84 is about ready to break in half, it has always run hot and has oil blow by I can smell, which I don't like much.

Is a non turbo engine the same as a turbo engine? My 84 has a new engine with ~40,000 miles. When the time comes, can I swap it into the turb car with no issues? I would want to keep the turbo of course
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search