What Are These Things? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What Are These Things?
Wednesday, June 23, 2010 7:13 PM
So I finally got around to changing my plugs/wires on the 1.8...

does anyone know what those metal sleeves around the boots of #1, 2 and 3 are for?

Wasn't so bad for # 2 and #3, but #1 made it impossible to get contact with the boot of the wire. So I took the sleeve off--is that bad?

I've never seen those until I bought this car.

Re: What Are These Things?
Wednesday, June 23, 2010 7:30 PM
I see nothing.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 8:18 PM
Was not sure if you were going to post a pic or just ask the question.But I will attempt to answer this the best I can.On your engine while similar to the 2.0 maybe some what different on the design and do not have a pic of the engine.So my guess is being the exhaust manifold is at the plugs where they seat and the heat is stupid hot,I imagine the sleeves are to reduce the heat around the plug boots due to the way the engine is designed is would explain to me the set up.I know on my 85 with 2.0 the exhuast manifold gasket is made to vent or protect the plug wires with how it is,which would make sense.Unless paul who has the same engine can come up with a better response I would bet hands down that is what the purpose of those are.Ok

Thursday, June 24, 2010 8:24 AM
Yeah, I don't have a pic, but they just sit there on top of the plug (they don't "click in" or anything else).

I wasn't sure if it was for heat protection or maybe to prevent an arc situation. I just left it off for now, but didn't want to go taking it to NYC or Philly before I knew how safe it was to leave them off the car.

My 2.0 didn't have these, I've never seen them before.
Thursday, June 24, 2010 6:38 PM
My '85 1.8 turbo had them. All 4 wires.
When I changed plugs I slipped the metal sleeves onto the boot of the wire so it was up the wire as far as possible, then plugged the wire onto the plug as normal. If I did not shove the sleeves all the way up, they did cause the wires to not be on the plugs as tight as I would like.

I cleaned the sleeves up with Brillo pads for appearance.

I assumed they were for protecting the wires from the manifold heat, as the wires are only a few inches away.
Thursday, June 24, 2010 6:45 PM
Ron is correct. I have a 1.8 turbo and the sleeves are used to dissipate the heat from the manifold to the entire plug boot. I think they use this because the early 1.8 manifolds are so thin and heat up so quickly developing hot spots near the plug wire, underside of the boot would bear the brunt of the heat. Hope this helps.
Thursday, June 24, 2010 6:46 PM
My 84 has them, 1, 2, and 3. Not on #4. Heat shields for the plug wires...

Thursday, June 24, 2010 7:01 PM
Heat sheilds for your wires. Both of my Fiero's have them on all six wires. If I remember correctly my '87 Z24 had them as well.
Thursday, June 24, 2010 7:30 PM
Has anyone ever left them off the #1 on a 1.8?

I'm just thinking the wires I have the boot may be a little shorter than factory and that's why I can't get it to fit.

What's everyone's opinion on my just leaving it off and driving it over 100 miles?
Thursday, June 24, 2010 8:47 PM
I do not see any issues with that at all.I do not know what wire brand you have but,will suggest buying some accel 8mm wires for a v8 and that way you have two sets and the boots for accel wires are very tall and ten times better than the normal auto zone,napa,etc brand.I did this with my daily driver a 87 mazda trk and the boots are better and while the exh man is not a problem I still have a whole new set of wires and metal pins when the set I have choke.Should be fine for the short drive my guess running it for long term may fry the boots and break down the wire over time.Ok

Friday, July 02, 2010 9:46 PM
i wouldnt take the heat protection gaps off the wires...could melt or cause alot of damage. NEVER TRUST AUTOZONE. lmao

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3062549

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search