84 Sunbird Vacuum Lines on TB - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
84 Sunbird Vacuum Lines on TB
Saturday, July 17, 2010 7:52 AM
Hello-

I yanked the eecs(evap) lines off the car a couple of years ago and capped off the lines on the Throttle body (TB). My question is should all of these be capped off? The car seems to run better with one of them open. I am not totally hip to the workings of vacuum, but I would think open holes are a bad thing. Should I pull the TB and have them welded shut?

lmk what you think.

Re: 84 Sunbird Vacuum Lines on TB
Sunday, July 18, 2010 9:15 PM
I can say I have no clue on the answer for that.I did rebuild mine aside from the fuel pressure regulator which I will do soon,since it is still in my rebuild kit,needs a new gasket cars still running a touch rich.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 9:01 PM
Well, it turns out that de-turboed 88 I found has taught me a lot and been a good source of parts.

It looks like things were worked around a bit with the 2.0, including moving the evap canister fully inside the fender - which is exactly what I needed. I grabbed the bracket and will be re-routing mine accordingly.

Also grabbed the washer bottle as I will be moving mine from the firewall to the strut tower as I now have a space conflict with my strut tower brace. I just need to find a place to move the alarm horn and fan switch and timer.

Also comparing the two, the pcv system was tweaked a bit to make it a lot cleaner. On the 1.8, the air intake runs 3/4 of the way around the engine. I can clean it up quite a bit by just using the 2.0 cam cover. Instead of running around the engine, it goes the other direction right to the intake. I was thinking get the cam cover powdercoated silver so as not to appear like the 2.0 turbo one. I also score all of the vaccum lines off off the tb. These will be mich cleaner to use once I switch to the different cam cover. I was thinking about trying to fit the gt foglights on the front of the car also.

I will have it in the GM show next week so it just has to make it. I will do the washer bottle/fan timer and switch move later.

Thats the status for this week, once the evap is restored, I will road test the oil pan and starter install.

Friday, July 23, 2010 5:24 PM
EVAP done, now just waiting for it to stop raining.

Saturday, July 31, 2010 8:41 PM
EVAP Great!, Starter Great! - Even on heat soaked 90+ days. Oil still a problem. Got Camaro running this week so gonna enjoy it a bit and come back to Sunbird after wallet recovers.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search