mechanical temp gauge - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
mechanical temp gauge
Wednesday, July 21, 2010 7:25 AM
Need a little advice on where to install a mechanical temperature gauge on a 1987 cavalier with a 2.0 engine. I don't want to make the ECM mad. There are several points to install it in the water jacket but I don't know which one's the best. Any help will be appreciated.

Poppop

Kenny "Poppop" Brown

Re: mechanical temp gauge
Wednesday, July 21, 2010 4:58 PM
Kenny-

I bet Ron knows... I am more familiar with the OHC setup.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 9:23 PM
I am really scratching my head with this? I can tell you on the thermostat housing you have two sensors.The double plug going to the back side with a clip on connector should have a yellow and black wire that is the water temperature sender for the ecm.The other sensor on the front side of the thermostat housing shows to be for the AC comp/coolant fan green wires and has ONE terminal connector.As to where to tie a actual gauge into the mix umm.Being my cav has only the idiot light for coolant or temperature I am not sure where to suggest a hook up.I can tell you on the end of the manifold there is a plug for coolant under the tbi.I replaced the plug when I did the gasket for it.I would suggest using a adapter to screw in to it that would alloy you to connect a sending unit into that sense coolant runs thru the intake.This would be pretty easy to do.I hope this makes sense after scoping my cav.I would not touch the two sensors at the thermostat housing or tie into either due to grounding,ecm issues,idiot light on.On the back of the block there is not much I could see to do this.I am thinking way too hard and do not want to ramble on further,this is prolly simple and maybe overthinking this rite now.Ok

Thursday, July 22, 2010 2:36 AM
Thanks Ron, that's enough to keep me from making a mistake. I'll try to get it hooked up today if the weather cooperates and let you know how things work out. I removed the AC and have the fan hot wired so I might be able to use the port that has that sensor in it. I can always use a tee and reinstall the sensor. Even if it isn't accurate it can still supply a ground. if necessary. I'll take a look at the plug under the intake but don't think there's enough room to install the sensor without removing the manifold.

Poppop

Kenny "Poppop" Brown

Thursday, July 22, 2010 4:44 PM
Kenny-

I would look for one in the boneyard that has a temp gauge from the factory and grab the sending unit and pig tail and make it work. Heck, change up the dash while you are add it and add a factory gauge

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search