oil pressure & valve tap problem - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
oil pressure & valve tap problem
Saturday, July 24, 2010 5:19 PM

when i first start my car the oil pressure is pritty high. as i drive the car i noticed that at stop lights or when the car isnt moving the oil pressure drops below the middle mark and the electric gauge follows. for some reason when the car is at normal operating temp the oil pressure drops below the middle mark and stays one line above the bottom line (1/4) and im pritty worryed if this is normal or if there is a problem. the pressure returns to normal when i press on the gas pedal. the car has a 2.0 engine with fuel injected carb. i use 10w-30 oil & even tryed 5w-30. also i have noticed when i start my car that there is a small ticking noise until the car has been driven for a good distance. i think it may have to do with my valves needing adjusted. the car has been sitting in a garage for 17 yrs with no oil. it hasnt been started until i fixed the valve cover gasket and replaced the oil filther and added oil. im running out of things to try and the local garages are draining me dry trying to figure out what the problem may be...please help.
- the car is a 2.0 4cyl 3 speed automatic.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3062549

Re: oil pressure & valve tap problem
Saturday, July 24, 2010 6:27 PM
Hey Charles-

I would spring for the cheapest manual pressure gauge you can get and confirm your pressure readings. I had an issue with a failing sending unit earlier and it caused a bunch of unnecessary concern. Once you know for sure you do or do not have an oil issue, we can go from there. My Sunbird sat for 8 years without being started and came back without a rebuild...

Re: oil pressure & valve tap problem
Sunday, July 25, 2010 11:12 PM
I would do the recommend from paul.I would also run 5w30 only.The 10w30 is a touch heavy.Not that it would make a difference.And replacing the oil sending unit on the back side of the block near the oil filter is way EASY. Since u have a guage on the dash yours is a touch different than my set up.To explain you will have two senders one is for low oil probably and one is the actual oil pressure.These two sensors are side by side.The idiot low oil should a single wire going to it, the sender itself should have two wires that go onto the actual oil pressure sender.I would change both out and use some permatex high temp sealant comes in a white tube sold at auto zone,advance,napa.You do not have to drain the oil to this(the nice part).I would suggest pouring one can of seafoam into the oil (where u put the oil when doing the oil change) and run it for a day or two.This should clear the oil passages and drain the system,change the oil,and filter again.I would then replace the two sensors advance auto does carry these may not be a instock item tho.Then check the status of things after this.I would hold off on the gauge idea until (if it were me did this first).Worst case after running the seafoam in the oil for a day or two and change the oil,filter and the two sensors and run 5w30 any brand(I like super tech walmart brand) and better psi and still a little valve noise get the valves adjusted.Sorry for the book just adding more info to consider.The car sitting is hard on seals and cleaning the gook out with seafoam in the oil will help.And most mechanics today have no F clue on these older cars unless they worked on them back in the 80s.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search