AC condensation dripping into footwell - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
AC condensation dripping into footwell
Tuesday, July 27, 2010 7:00 AM
Hey guys,

I am pretty much as noob to mechanics- I am a change spark plugs and fires and filters kind of guy. I accept my limitations. But I try and learn where I can.

I got my '86 2.8 V6 hatch's AC recharged via an R134c conversion, so I have A/C 1st time since I bought the car 2 years ago. Now I have A/C condensation dripping into the driver's side footwell. I can't see the drips themselves, just that the floor and the area behind the pedals is soaked. Definately not a rain issue - we have had none.

Where does the A/C condenstion line run for the 2.8V6- is this something with good access? Can most garages handle this sort of issue, or is clearance/access going to be an issue?.

Thanks in advance!

Re: AC condensation dripping into footwell
Tuesday, July 27, 2010 9:00 PM
The drain hole is probably stopped up. It will be on the engine compartment side of the fire wall (engine side of the dashboard area). It will be a small downward pointing tube about midway between driver side & passenger side....or slightly towards the passenger side. You may have to get at it from the bottom of the car, but however you can get to it, try sticking a small piece of flexible wire in the tube to see if you can dislodge dirt or mold that may be there. Something about the size of a clothes hanger would work, but use something a little more flexible if you can find it. I have done this proceedure on other cars and if the blockage is close to the tube exit, you'll have a waterfall of water come out.
Tuesday, July 27, 2010 10:58 PM
That is totally what I would recommend!I would try look for a drain tube going down from the AC inside and not sure on what it looks like to the letter however on my daily it is easy to remove from the inside(not gm) and clear the tubing.You definitely have a drain blockage.You can do this yourself.If I am doodling around wed,I will take a peek at my 85cavs since this has been brought up.Good luck should not take long to clear it out.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 7:10 AM
Hi Chad and Ron,

Thanks guys for the replies. I am going to give it a go by jacking up the passenger side front and back (I' ll be using jack stands) and use a clothes hanger to initally open it up, followed by one of those little fuzzy flexible pipe cleaners from cigar stores to give it a scrub on the inside.

The pipe cleaners are only 6-8 inches long but between the clothes hanger and the pipe cleaner I hope that should be enough.

Ron, if you see anything more if you are under your '85 today, let me know.

Thanks again!
Wednesday, July 28, 2010 8:00 PM
Irony.

I'm suffering the same problem with my 85 Vert.

I assumed is was a clogged condensate line, but didn't know where it was located to clear it out, so keep us posted-I'm gonna hit it Saturday.

Thanks for the info!
Sunday, August 01, 2010 2:22 PM
More b/c I felt lazy and didn't feel like jacking the car up in the driveway, I called the shop who did the R134C conversion, and the owner said 'not a prob- if it is the condensation line I'll clean it no charge'.

Car went on the lift. On the firewall engine side, just slightly to the passenger side of center, is a black boot shaped rubber deal that you squeeze together to open it up. The line is inside. He inserted a 2 foot long thin shaft screwdriver and a cupful of water dribbled out.

He then took a nozzle shaped air jet blaster and shot a few puffs of air thru the tube to blow it out. Seems fine now- water from AC forms a puddle beneath the car as you would expect when AC is on.

Thanks guys for your help on this!
Sunday, August 01, 2010 6:03 PM
So glad that fixed it! Smart to call the shop since he was willing to help and had a lift!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search