FOUND THE SOURCE OF THE LEAK - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
FOUND THE SOURCE OF THE LEAK
Monday, July 26, 2010 7:00 PM
Happy Day!

I found the source of the leak on my 84! The brass looking right angle fitting coming out of the oil pump that the sending unit scews into the end of appears to be the source of the leak. It only took like 5 tests to figure this out - grrr.... Does this right angle fitting come installed in a new oil pump? Is there a way to tighten it down? There does not appear to be a whole lotta detail around this in either the gm manual or the chilton manual.

Anyone know? I would really rather not pony up the $132 for an oil pump if I do not have to.

Re: FOUND THE SOURCE OF THE LEAK
Monday, July 26, 2010 8:01 PM
Not sure I know whenI pulled my pump out I just cleaned it and installed a new gasket for the pickup.I do not recall what ur decribing and the pics in my three manuals show ohv doing a quick check.Those matched mine.I may look online at a auto store pic to see if I am just overlooking something.ok

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 4:56 AM
These schematics may be of some help.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 10:41 PM
Well here is my take on things.Now that I have seen a good view of your oem pump thanks to advance auto! I did not see the fitting you are describing.Even spike js post did not help me either.So my question is if this fitting just screws into the pump why not remove the sending unit assuming it is pretty easy,remove the fitting assuming if it is threaded you should be able to pull it out.And use some permatex high temp gasket sealant (white in color and comes in a white tube) and put some on the threads of the fitting unless it is pressed into the hole it goes to.Worst case example only you can replace the fitting pretty easy to find at napa,lowes for brass stuff and use the sealant I recommend highly and try that.Unless the pump picture I saw just shows the pump and the fitting is something gm supplied as not part of the pump but,a adapter like alternators do not come with a belt.If it is a external fitting I or even internal the fitting may not even come on the pump.Heck go to advance they show the part as in stock item.Check it over and decide for yourself.My take and my big azz chiltons that covers alot of gms did not show what your describing.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search