Starting to work on the cav time! - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Starting to work on the cav time!
Monday, October 18, 2010 9:03 PM
Well I have sat idle with working on (sunny) for a longggg while.So today finally starting and the duralast gold battery bought in jan 2010,kept fnn up.In short always had a two amp trickle charger on it to keep it full charged.About three wks ago went to check things battery water was low? so I add some distilled and charged for 4 days,charges up and reinstall.I just turn on the lights(not running) and they go dim(I like wtf????).So I then leave my big charger on it for over two wks 15 amp charge the battery does fine,no trouble light on charger,check voltage all good.So today do the light check and the charger kicks back up the amps(again wtf).I take it back to autozone,get a load test done that did not work,they put it on a big charger and it kicks back will not charge!I know have another NEW battery.Warranty good 3yrs for any reason.Next refill coolant to mix the water/freeze since it was just water in it since my flush like way back.Find a small leak in my coolant tank(old and fixed with silicone yrs ago) and car is running heat is awesome and runs pretty good.Let it run for 25 min coolant seems fine.Pulled tank and cleaned resealed and will reinstall tues.So next my horn died(had a short burial) it was original.I am going to buy a new one tue.Next bought the other seal for the rhs axle seal already had the left.I am going to have to buy a puller for the hubs,the axles prove to be interesting to do.I am prolly gonna have to buy a slide hammer and see if I can get the adapter to pull the axles (they are way old).The trans is leaking like a faucet on the lhs at the seal.I am buying the puller prolly this wk as well.The slider hammer I will have to chek into.Sorry for the book.But I am wanting to get this thing drivable again and will post pics of things I wanted to do the front struts just not enuff cash right now.I prolly will strip the metal stuff and clean it and reunder coat the fender welds in the mean time.I have just been busy doing toooo much other stuff the last couple months.

Re: Starting to work on the cav time!
Monday, October 25, 2010 8:43 PM
Looks like I will be saving some money for the tools I want .The slide hammer kit is about 120.00 and the adapter I need is around 45.00.Freaking tools are stupid expensive these days.Pretty bad when you have the parts and it cost dearly to get tools to do a job.Oh well at least things are fine other wise.

Saturday, October 30, 2010 6:16 PM
Hang In There. Life gets in the way, but keep at it!!!

Monday, November 01, 2010 9:25 PM
Well things got a WHOLE lot better sunday nite.I will share this when I get some stuff in order.

Wednesday, November 03, 2010 8:57 PM
Ok I finally found a NOS brand new set of chrome center caps for my ride.I have the alloys and only had one original the others got lost in snow and elsewhere.I found them on ebay and paid 18.50 total (10.00 +8.50 s/h) and these are no longer made and no salvage searches or any online looking .SWEET is all I can say

Thursday, November 04, 2010 4:45 AM
Ron Love wrote:

Awesome find I got similar caps but they're black instead of chrome

Sunday, November 07, 2010 6:42 PM
Great Find Ron!

Those look awesome.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 8:46 PM
Ok FINALLY own a slide hammer kit (9 piece with a 5 lb hammer) and bought at carquest for 107.00 and the adapter for the inner cv bought from autozone (normal stock 20.00). I still need to buy a socket for the axle nut unless I over looked one that will fit in my tools.I am closer to starting this project still need to buy a horn I like and get it inspected b4 I do this job.ALong with the resto work I will do when I pull everything out of the way.

Saturday, January 15, 2011 10:31 PM
Well lately have been too busy with other stuff to bother with my cav(crap).I am getting ready to do some work on my daily 87 mazda trk.I still need to buy a stupid horn this wk will be the buy time.Get a safety inspection and then if my daily is happy then start the axle job and front end resto minus new struts and springs( I did not win lottery) to buy them yet.Just a update

Thursday, February 24, 2011 10:57 PM
Just to update my cars status.I have driven it and got the inspection(safety done) and passd with no issues as I already knew.I still need to do my axle job.This is on idle status.Because I have to do a rear axle swap on my 1987 mazda cabplus truck and have the axle and paid 100.00 from the local u pull it and have some work cut out on this.I am replacing the brakes(not transferring my current stuff) even though mine stuff is only six months old.It is just easier and still have to sand blast it replace the brake lines two hard lines,one rubber hose,and primer it and paint and will reuse my two yr old drums.I choose to upgrade the lines bc there cheap and this axle has the orig stuff and want to restore it back to orig kick azz status.The gears seem solid turning it no clunking(a good thing for ring/pinion).Sorry if a touch of my topic page but explains the delay.I did get the plastic sleeve for reverse for my four speed which puts it in rev and kick azz find so mine will work pulling the plastic zip tie style to make it work like it should.I have been looking for everrrrrrrr for this.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 8:13 PM
Guys I have bought a new 2011 honda civic LX(S) over on the other cars forum!!! So now I can spend more time on fixing the cav and my truck which was(WAS) my daily driver.The truck has been eating my time up lately with fix this fix that all due to age wear .So hopefully I can get the freaking axles done by the summer.I still need to get my truck heavy work done (headgasket) next.I just did a full axle swap on the trk refurbished it (bought a used one from a u pull it) and made NEW again and runs freaking cherry as sh@#T.So once I get the trk rite,the cav will see my atttention.It sits inside anyway,covered all the time.My post 24 yrs later buying a new car.

Thursday, March 31, 2011 6:45 PM
Would love to say I'm gonna get started on some stuff with the Hawk, but I'm supposed to get snow tonight...fracking lying groundhog!
Wednesday, November 23, 2011 8:27 PM
Here is my big pile of NEW parts slated for sunny at freaking LAST!!!!.Short list new drums,wheel cylinders,hoses both sides,brake shoes,wheel bearings(yeah the whole hub with studs) timken RULES,new main e brake cable from park brake to rear,new left and right brake cables.I will probably replace the short hard lines and I do have the bending tool to do(loads of experience after my pickup rear axle swap) replaced those.Oh and a spring kit.Cost umm let me totally it up first.I am stoked just have to get sunny a safety inspection next wk before she hits the jackstands and jump into this fun.Finally I have the parts,it has only taken forever to do this.

Thursday, November 24, 2011 7:33 PM
wow, I thought the rear of sunny looked pretty good with the resto work you did. Looks like more fun coming your way.

Thursday, November 24, 2011 8:50 PM
I can appreciate your overhaulin' in the back end there!!
Wasn't too long ago I blew out a brake line going down hill and right on top of a RED light to boot!! Hit the brakes and the wheel locked up where the line gave out....don't know why. Tried to use the e-brake, but was just locking up the rear. Thank goodness I blew by the intersection just after the light changed and the opposite traffic hadn't started to move yet. I still cringe at the thought of a bus or mother driving a child to school coming through when I flew by.
Hope you really have an enjoyable time turnin' some wrenches on Sunny!! :-)

Thursday, November 24, 2011 8:59 PM
Yeah the previous work was spot on all new parts.Aside from the items I got here recently to get all of the working components done,it will last a long time.Then the front end stuff is next,that should be a real joy.

Monday, January 16, 2012 8:45 PM
Ok guys no doodling today at the junkyard just started working on some stuff for sunny! How about a rear sway bar that has been sanded with a da sander 200,400 1000,2000 grit and lots of cleaning to get this bar stupid clean and showing a pic with the other sway untouched to show what the one going on sunny is like primerless as of yet.I started cleaning the donor trans(backup just in case) but NO pics of it bc it was stupid nasty and still have some serious cleaning on it but,my orig pic in my parts page are there to show how freakin greasy it is.I got it 50% clean and still gooky engine cleaner worked but,going loco clean on it with something stronger! Hope you enjoy these pics and will update as I follow thru.

Thursday, January 19, 2012 4:45 AM
Ron-

Looks Great! You could put a nice powder cote finish on that at it would stay nice for the rest of its life. I will post pics of mine installed. Mine is Red with the Ziebart "Patina" behind it. I was saving pics until I got the final touch up paint on it, but it just got too cold for paint the last few days.

Hopefully will post something shortly.

Thursday, January 19, 2012 9:10 PM
I may do that if cost effecient for me.I know it will take a lot more wear than primer and paint for sure.I have more goodies yet to get too.

Sunday, July 08, 2012 10:42 PM
Ok I cheated on the pic bc I just got yet another set of these NOS center caps off ebay and recieved this sat.Being they are scarce to find period and paid wayyy more for them this go round.Cost 41.00 but hey only double the cost however the ones I got are JUST as cherry as this pic and figure why bother taking more pics of same sweetness.I might suggest checking out neatcollectibles on ebay bc this guys is straight up gold on old NOS parts gm,etc and ships quick.Tired as dirt after a good 12 hr day and plans to get work started on the cav are probably next wk since I know have room to work on it.John masson has his doors and they were blocking my drvr side.Have some things to square up this wk but hope to be posting some REAL pics of my work finally once I do the rear brakes and ebrake cables.

Sunday, July 08, 2012 11:53 PM
I know it's a little late but you can rent a 5lb slide hammer and cv axle adapter from autozone for $60 you get your money back when you return it. Autozone is a half a block from my house. I always rent this tool. I use to go through axles faster then tanks of gas till I started rebuilding them myself.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.

Monday, July 09, 2012 11:57 AM
Nice find on the center caps. I have been looking for another set also. I got a set a few years ago for Around $20.00 with shipping new in boxes, so the price/value in my head is a little off from the true value in todays market. I think that Sunny will look a lot better in your signature photo with caps on though .

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 8:14 PM
Well ROB I know you can rent tools however I like to OWN my own stuff for future use and for what I paid for the set it will last a long time and no junky worn tools used over and over.John yeah these were more on cost but,heck with finding them brand new is nearly impossible and once I finish my rear end work and do my front axles at least(may have to hold on struts $ is the thing) then I will install the caps and snap some newer pics for my signature.I doodled around inside mon just to hot to sweat it up yesterday.Today however all outside trying to do several small projects and worked on my nephews 98 accord he's going to college in aug so have to check the car over solid.Pulled tires off cleaned rims and whl welds and painted,checked brakes and pulled slide pins for calipers and regreased, cleaned interior out and shined up,fixd two odd items interior with junkyard parts in good shape.So tommorrow I will be mowing with my BRAND NEW husqvarna riding mower! PICS are coming.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 8:39 PM
Ok here is my 2012 husqvarna lgt24k54 it has a 24 hp kawasaki eng,54 inch deck,cup holder,12 volt plug in,small side pocket,cell phone holder,hydro static,headlights with a switch,push bar and had to update things and needed a bigger deck.My trusted mtd has a clutch brkt (no longer made) I need however I have all the other parts that work with it from mtd brand new.I may just swap the new and try and if no good(clutch pedal is shakyyyyy) as crap and if need be I will get a bracket made at a machine shop.It is a 1996 and will only use if need be,and my mother in laws JD solid and serviced by me and only a 38 inch deck.No more stories but felt like it was time and got a good deal on it and 0% interest for two years can't go wrong with that.Car unrelated yeah but so be it since I mentioned it and SO looking forward to using it wed.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 11:10 PM
You can get KYB struts for $80 for a pair from autozone. They are the best struts out there for our cars. Monro sensatracs are garbage. I believe complete struts with springs and bushing are $80 a piece but you shouldn't need springs. The bushings are around $10. That was last year when I did mine.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search