Input Wanted: Engine Swap Possibility? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Input Wanted: Engine Swap Possibility?
Sunday, November 21, 2010 12:21 PM
I found a low mile 2.0 Turbo (code M) engine with an automatic that I was thinking of swapping into my 84 1.8 Turbo (Code J). Could I keep my 4 speed manual transmission?

What do I need to look out for? The car is local and they are only asking $550 so it is pretty tempting.

Input appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Re: Input Wanted: Engine Swap Possibility?
Sunday, November 21, 2010 5:02 PM
sure, you can keep the tranny, of course I couldn't tell you if it would work better in your trunk or mated to your new engine...
Monday, November 22, 2010 7:09 PM
Good One...

Was actually wanting to keep the 4 speed in place and mate it to the 2.0 turbo...

Monday, December 06, 2010 6:51 PM
Hmm, now that I saw my co-worker's 08 Impala SS with the transverse 5.3 V8, I really have some ideas. Seems like it would be a lot of work to get that goin in an early J, but still fun to think about.

Tuesday, December 07, 2010 6:29 AM
I keep thinking about somehow someday of stuffing a 3.8 series II in there.
Friday, December 10, 2010 9:34 PM
3800 series 2 is duable. i did it in my 1st gen.

although i have though of doing a transverse V8 in a first gen it is just not possible without cutting off the front end building a new unibody front chassi and making the front fenders into a wide body pushing them out about 2 inches on each side. i took alot of possibilitys into consideration inlcuding rwd ls1. until i decided on a 3800 series 2 supercharged.

Sunday, December 12, 2010 9:48 AM
The 1.8 and 2.0 have the same bellhousing pattern, so you should be able to do that swap fairly easy.

If the 1.8 intake won't bolt up(which it should) you could donate the throttle body, vacuum lines,injectors, ect from the 1.8 manifold to the LT3.
It can be done, the toughest part is probably gonna be finding the courage to do it.

I am running a 93 N/A engine off my 2.0 Turbo wiring harness, it runs better than stock with the turbo pistons,manifold, injectors and mild port and polishing.
Sunday, December 12, 2010 6:01 PM
the courage is there, the equipment/money is not.

There is also the matter of my motor runs great and I really am the if it ain't broke, don't fix it type. Just something I'm thinking about for when this motor does go or needs too much, and when I have a garage to do it in and when I'm not using the Hawk as a daily driver.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search