Basic Troubleshooting Sanity Check - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Basic Troubleshooting Sanity Check
Sunday, February 06, 2011 7:08 AM
Ok, so I was going like crazy making the car pretty and still have a bunch of stuff piled in the garage - never mind the ton of snow outside...

I still have my pan leak and want to run it by you all one more time.

Situation - Car leaks from oil pump seam area when reaching 180 degrees. Does not leak when cold. I have R&R the pan more times than I can count. I am running the 2.0 pan/windage tray on a 1.8 turbo. PVC appears to be working as advertised, replaced valve (just in case). Kepp in mind this is not an occasional driveway driip. It appears to be under some pressure - think 60 drips/minute. The oil pump on the car was new with the rebuild in 94, but only 15-20k miles on it since then as it sat for 8 years with a blown head gasket.

I have been obsessing over the pan, but now thinking if it was the pan it would leak hot or cold, was even gonna try buying two old style cork gaskets and sandwiching the windage tray between those instead of the perma dry one.

Car looks great, want to show off new historical plate , but have to get this, rear shocks, rear sway bar bushings, and some tune-up items done before the spring.

Anyone wanna venture a guess? I am thinking the oil pump is loosening up under heat, but before I throw my $100 down I want to be sure.

Thanks for any assistance.

Paul

Re: Basic Troubleshooting Sanity Check
Sunday, February 06, 2011 10:16 AM
Paul, I would think the same thing you mentioned. Oil pump has loosened or perhaps the machined flange where it bolts to the block isn't 100% straight. I wonder if it was a bad reman or repro unit where the machined surface or metal used isn't up to snuff.

I also like the double gasket idea. I would be trying that as well to see if that helped fill any voids. Its a pain chasing down this stuff, but you're on the right track.

I hope you get to enjoy the cruise season this year. I'm off this month to the DMV to get my anique plates for my Cavalier. I'm sure the person will look at me funny when I apply for them, but hey these are 25+ year old cars now!

Good luck, Paul

Sunday, February 06, 2011 2:34 PM
Thanks Daryl-

I was thinking to try the gaskets first, then pony up for a pump, but I think just based on the pattern that it is the pump. If it was the pan seal, I would think it would leak no matter what the temp.
Either way, I need to get this nailed and done soon.
I saw a guy running around in an 84 Corvette with a historical plate - it did look strange. I remember when they were new after taking a year off in 83.

BTW - Did you finally get your carpet done?

Sunday, February 06, 2011 4:54 PM
I have a really dumb idea, but figure why not, I'll share--

I had a car that would give me problems with starting whenever it felt like it, then about two days before I sold the car, I solved the problem. One of the bolts in the battery was bad, and when the car would warm up, it would loosen up just enough and lose contact and I wouldn't be able to start the car. The car would cool down and the car would start again...this leads me to your oil pan, maybe one of the bolts is doing to you what that battery bolt did to me, and that's why it leaks when warmed up.
Sunday, February 06, 2011 6:13 PM
Wayne-

I was thinking bolts earlier, I tried 3 different gaskets and two sets of bolts. I seriously have done this pan about 6 times. The upside is I get faster, the downside is it is still not fixed.

I appreciate the ideas.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search