1984 Cav w/ 2.2L second gen motor.....Should I save it or strip it for parts? W/pictures - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1984 Cav w/ 2.2L second gen motor.....Should I save it or strip it for parts? W/pictures
Wednesday, March 23, 2011 3:21 PM
Got it home yesterday. WOW towing has gone up! Well looks like bad coil. Anyway after stripping out the interior I'm having second thoughts on stripping the car. It will need doors and some very minor floor work and minor body work, a carpet and new top. Originally a white car and the color change was top notch.Someone took real good care of this car at one time as it came out New Hampshire. Can you believe the kid I bought this from used it as a winter car in Mass. He admitted he abused it and dented it........ Save it, Strip it or park it for someday?

Link to picasa with more pictures = https://picasaweb.google.com/84conv/84CavalierConvertiblePartsCar#

THE GOOD ONE

Re: 1984 Cav w/ 2.2L second gen motor.....Should I save it or strip it for parts? W/pictures
Wednesday, March 23, 2011 4:57 PM
Is that actual gauges and not idiot lights?

If you decide to strip it I'll take the gauge panel.
To be honest though if I was you I'd probably fix it up, it's in excellent condition for being 17+yrs old.

Re: 1984 Cav w/ 2.2L second gen motor.....Should I save it or strip it for parts? W/pictures
Wednesday, March 23, 2011 6:56 PM
Yup gauges and they do work (I think). And if my math is right its about 27 plus.. Not in as good of condition as my blue cav convert. but someone loved this J body at one time.

Thursday, March 24, 2011 5:13 AM
JOHN MASSON wrote: And if my math is right its about 27 plus.. Not in as good of condition as my blue cav convert. but someone loved this J body at one time.

D'oh your right I haven't gotten much sleep since the damn time change. In some states that qualifies it as a historical vehicle.
you might find this webpage interesting 1984 Cavalier Brochure

Thursday, March 24, 2011 6:44 AM
I say definitely save it. It's really not in that bad of condition and seems so complete. You could even do just a little work to it and drive it as is for fun. It'd be a shame to strip and junk it.
Thursday, March 24, 2011 5:54 PM
Same color combo as my 84 Sunbird vert only yours is 10x better condition. I'd definatlly save it, If not, I'll take the seats
Thursday, March 24, 2011 9:15 PM
if i was you i would try to save it. it is worth it. that would hurt me if i you would do that. first gen is so rare
Thursday, March 24, 2011 9:27 PM
For the minor cost of a over time project keep it as it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.The body looks pretty solid,damage and all.To send a overall solid car to scrap even stripped of all the good parts would be umm dumb !!!sss thing to do.Finding a ride with the age/wear in that condition has real potential and doodle on it in your spare time.Keep it and fix the odds and ends when money alloys.And buy a car cover for it preferably a water proof version they are available and put it up on jacks or blocks wheels off the ground better for tires and moisture problems if it sits on grass or even gravel.Ok my take on it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search