Trunk Carpet - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Trunk Carpet
Saturday, April 30, 2011 8:02 PM
The people who had the car before me were pretty sloppy, and my trunk was a disgusting mess of spilled oil or whatever. A while back I managed to find a good carpet in the boneyard, but I never had the time/energy/good weather all at the same time to deal with cleaning the trunk.

Today was my lucky day--that only took 2 1/2 years!

First thing I did was pull out the old carpet, and on the parts covering the wheel wells were the manufacturer tags!

Collins & Aikman made them. The coding was:

85 F SH J W/HS
20 07 N/W
LC# 20162088
LT SIDE S- 27
ER# 518830CH-1

obviously the top line is year (1985), F for Fisher body? Not sure what the SH was for, I have a coupe, so maybe Short Hatch? then J for j-body, and I have no idea for the W/HS.

I'm guessing line 2 is a date or shift code.

Line 3 is for left side, no idea for the s- 27, or why the spacing between s- and the number 27.

I think line 4 is more like a lot number.

I never saw tags like this before, but thought it would be cool to share. There was also the number 75 on the tag just under the C&A company logo--no ideas from me there either.

Re: Trunk Carpet
Sunday, May 01, 2011 1:22 PM
Would love to see what the pieces covering the wheel wells look like if u can take a pic I would appreciate it heck I might even be able to get u reproduction one at my work for free if they want the pattern.
Sunday, May 01, 2011 6:02 PM
You don't have the factory carpet in the back of your coupe?

When I say carpet, I mean that foam rubber like black colored trunk lining GM used in the 80s. It was in three pieces, the main trunk that covered the spare tire well, and a left and right side pieces that went around the wheel wells.

I'll still get ya a pic if you want.
Sunday, May 01, 2011 11:28 PM
I have the main carpet for the trunk floor but not the pieces for the wheel wells.
Monday, May 02, 2011 1:13 PM
Garbage day for me is Wednesday, and the old stuff is in its own bag...since we're kinda but not really close do you want me to pull them out of the garbage and give them to you sometime?

If you're trying to do some sort of reproduction, I'm not so sure a pic will do it for ya--it is as best I can describe "molded"--that is to say it holds shape and doesn't roll up after the fact.

If you still want pics, since they are different on each side I'm guessing you'd want pics of each.
Monday, May 02, 2011 1:26 PM
Well if u would want to ship them pieces to me. I can pay u for shipping but it would have to be after I get my check friday if that's ok. Yeah my work should be able to make reproduction ones so that way anyone who needs them can get them for their car too. Will help out some other j body owners. I just wanted a pic to see what its made of is all.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search