1989 Z24 Stalling???? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1989 Z24 Stalling????
Friday, May 20, 2011 5:09 PM
Anyone out there know why my 1989 Cavalier with the 2.8 V6 would keep stalling when i drive it? and no its not a manual its a auto. I have replaced the following:

Crank sensor
Ignition module
TTC solenoid
Checked fuel pump and filter
New plugs and wires
Torque converter

It runs perfect but stalls after i drive it for awhile. Only when i am stopped and push on the gas it stalls and then its hard to start???? Its driving me nuts. Today im replacing the wire harness that goes from the ignition module to the crank sensor. I will take all the help i can get. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

Re: 1989 Z24 Stalling????
Saturday, May 21, 2011 7:19 PM
I drove a 2.8 celebrity around on a delivery job and the same happened to me (I think, since you didn't get to specific with the details of when it stalls, if it only stalls under some circumstances, etc.).

But from what you have, I had a bad MAP sensor when I had that problem once.

From a different post, here is what Ron said about testing the MAP:

Ok round two.It is time to check the map sensor.It is kind of lengthy to show u how to check it.But in brief disconnect the plug going to it.Mine is on the firewall behind the tbi.Now make two jumper wires.Run one wire from the A on the plug to the sensor.Run one wire from the C on the plug to the sensor.Now using a multimeter place the meters end (RED) in the sensors B plug.The multimer has 4 plug in points.The red goes in the V horseshoe side(the little electri symbols.Place the black lead on the meter beside it (COM) will be on it.Run the other end of the black to a good ground.Place the meter 20v range.IF u have a vacumm gauge hook it up to the vac line to the map itself.Turn ur key ON (ONLY)vac should be at ZERO and the voltage should be 3v-5v.If the vacumm is not at zero or voltage is not in range as above it needs to be replaced.I sure hope u can figure out all this unless I scan this in,and post or check this site. Http://www.wellsve.com click on the tech upper left corner it has a step by step.
Sunday, May 22, 2011 5:43 AM
I had the same problem on a '89 Cutlass supreme. Never figured out the problem though, it just went away. First few months we had it it would stall about once a week usually at a traffic light, just went away after a while though, was sitting on the dealer lot for quite a while before we bought it so it could've been gas past its prime. Good luck.

Sunday, May 22, 2011 9:16 PM
Well I see my thoughts are already up on a suggestion.I might suggest checking your tps as well,it may have a dead spot causing the engine to choke.I doubt the tps is suspect but very easy to check with a multimeter.I may ponder this and if I think of something other wise I will post it here.

Monday, May 23, 2011 4:02 PM
so I done good Ron? I'm finally learning?
Monday, May 23, 2011 7:44 PM
no arguement from me.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search