Found one!!! 86 Z24 Convertible - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Found one!!! 86 Z24 Convertible
Friday, July 08, 2011 8:45 PM
Hello all,

I have been lurking around this site for a while (as well as Ebay, Autotrader, etc) looking for a 1st gen Sunbird GT Convertible or 1st gen V6 Cavalier Convertible and I finally found one. An 86 Z24 Convertible with a 4spd. My first "fun" car was an 87 Z24 white and this 86 is also white. I will be picking it up this next week. I had a few questions for the forum regarding the car:

Does anyone have information or a link about the production numbers of the Cavalier? As I understand it, there were both Z24 and RS convertibles in 86, with the Z24 being some kind of "California only" model. Oddly enough the car was initially titled in California.

Anyone have any "automatic" fixes to work on? For example, I used to race a 93 SC2 Saturn and once the exhaust and intake were opened up, it made an additional 25 Hp. The factory intake and outlet were the size of a straw, and greatly restricted the output of the engine. The 2.8L v6 MPFI has been a pretty strong performer in such a light car, but I was just wondering if anyone made any simple mods/repairs that you would recommend.

I will post pics as soon as I get it home.

I cant wait.

Take care,

Steve

Re: Found one!!! 86 Z24 Convertible
Friday, July 08, 2011 9:28 PM
As for production numbers that is probably in the FAQ section with just the total number of Js made regardless of model,engine,specs.Next as for the RS versus Z24 for 1986 both were made everywhere!(to the best of my knowledge).It soley was a trim model difference but,gm did alot of screwy stuff back then.As for upgrades or adds I have no real idea where to point to in that dept.Glad you found what you wanted and post some pics when the time permits.By all means try and keep the car stock bc parts are hard to come by on first gens especially body,seals, and other odds and ends.Just take care of it.I am sure others like darryl or paul may chime in on more power or specifics being they own a rs vert, and bird vert (turbo).Mines just a type 10 2.0 4 spd.I am on cardomain under ronsoldcav.Sorry no link right now just search the 1985 cavs I am there.

Sunday, July 10, 2011 7:59 PM
I am gonna pony up for the Pontiac Historical Services kit on my car. It will be like $100 when I am done but will include all the build info and laminated repro window sticker...

Sunday, July 10, 2011 9:05 PM
Ok there mister fancy pants! Ha that is pretty cool.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 5:37 PM
I have a white 1986 Cavalier Z24 Convertible. From my research and contacts at GM, the 1986 Z24 Convertibles were made by ASC (American Sunroof Co.) and were limited to under 300 made. The were sold only to the top performing dealers in California for retail sale. In fact Chevrolet does not list the X24 convertible at all in the 1986 catalogs. It is only available as an "RS".

Almost all of the cars converted by ASC were fully optioned Z24 coupes, and all have the power top.

You will have a sticker on the drivers door with the ASC logo and the date of the conversion.

The people in the "know" think that there are less than 50 still out on the road. Keep it clean and enjoy your rare car!
Tuesday, August 02, 2011 8:19 PM
Well, after paying nearly $500 for shipping, the car died within a quarter mile of my house. I told the guy to come get it and return my money. Easy come, easy go...still looking for that early cav 6cyl conv with a stick if anyone is selling.

Damn. I was so pumped for about 3 minutes...
Tuesday, August 09, 2011 7:23 PM
What did u pay for the car?
Wednesday, August 10, 2011 5:06 AM
And what 'died' in the car; engine, tranny?

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 5:16 AM
Personally if the car wasn't in that bad of shape and is that rare I would have fixed it. Would love to see it if u took any pics
Wednesday, August 10, 2011 12:39 PM
I agree, where is the car located now?

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 12:59 PM
One of you guys should pick up my 85 vert it needs a good new home.

Just sayin lol

Want hub spacers rear disk brackets or trailing arm bushings? Shoot me a PM.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 1:04 PM
I am more into the z24s myself I don't know if I have even seen an 86 z24 vert b4
Wednesday, August 10, 2011 7:55 PM
I have seen a 86 Z24.I stole lots of parts like both doors,hood,side skirts and rear bumper,tail lights and license plate holder.It was in the upull it and stripped.Ha Ha

Thursday, August 11, 2011 8:19 PM
Got any pics....post em! I'm in Mass. and if your in Jersey It is close.

Friday, August 12, 2011 6:24 AM
JOHN MASSON wrote:Got any pics....post em! I'm in Mass. and if your in Jersey It is close.

Here are a few. It also has a set of Z skirts and a front bumper waiting for it. It will come with some black Z wheels also and the stock hubcaps are still in the trunk.

It's not in perfect shape but for a 26 year old Jbody it's pretty damn solid. Only one bit of real cancer on the driver side quarter.

Friday, August 12, 2011 10:03 PM
If I had the time,extra cash I would consider it.However I just bought my new 2011 civic and my own cavy keeps me busy,plus my orig daily 1987 mazda cabplus trk (bought NEW) has things I need to do to it.If hypothetically got it,give me a yr and u would be asking for it back!It looks pretty good what the hell happen to the radio mounts and shifter console?It DOES have potential,anyone with some 1st gen disease could square it up.Yeah I am contaminated with J body coodies 1st gen that it biatches.

Friday, August 12, 2011 11:17 PM
That looks like a regular cavalier to me with a z24 hood. If u ask me it still is a nice car but would have been cooler a z24 convertible if that year. Looks like a different motor got dropped in it too.
Saturday, August 13, 2011 4:59 AM
Ron Love wrote:If I had the time,extra cash I would consider it.However I just bought my new 2011 civic and my own cavy keeps me busy,plus my orig daily 1987 mazda cabplus trk (bought NEW) has things I need to do to it.If hypothetically got it,give me a yr and u would be asking for it back!It looks pretty good what the hell happen to the radio mounts and shifter console?It DOES have potential,anyone with some 1st gen disease could square it up.Yeah I am contaminated with J body coodies 1st gen that it biatches.

I have everything out of it right now, So that I could clean everything up and get the 26 year old carpet out of it, and to start swapping in 3rd gen seats.

I really would rather not get rid of it but I have no more time or space for the thing

I'm wanting it to go to a good home with some one that will bring it back to where it should be.

dale nafzinger wrote:That looks like a regular cavalier to me with a z24 hood. If u ask me it still is a nice car but would have been cooler a z24 convertible if that year. Looks like a different motor got dropped in it too.

It's not a z it's a type-10, and it's all original driveline aside from usual maintenance replacement parts.

Sunday, August 14, 2011 6:45 PM
I didn't get any pics, but the car was on Ebay....It wasn't nearly as nice as advertised either. Needed paint work, half-shafts, then when it died, I offered to split diagnostic cost before we got in to repairs....he refused, so I said come get it.

I guess it just wasn't meant to be...

I've always liked the first generation Sunbird better but thought the V6 might be a safer choice with all the issues of the turbos.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search