Went to the U-pull it and wow found some cool stuff. - Page 2 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Went to the U-pull it and wow found some cool stuff.
Monday, July 25, 2011 10:43 AM
Hey Ron,

Sent you an email and PM on the coolant tank today (Monday)

Thanks
John

(Quoting a past member)-"Never underestimate a First Gen"

Monday, July 25, 2011 8:36 PM
Well the TOOL BOX is packed and a shoulder bag with stuff the go sweat it out at the u pull it tues.I am going to get some doors for some dude(oh wayne) ha ha on here and find the correct coolant tank for john(I got the wrong one) so hopefully all goes smooth.At least it is only going to be 94 not a 100 like last wk uh nasty.To explain the coolant tank the 2.0 with AC have a different dryer bigger than the 1.8 and apparently the second gens period.The tank is designed to alloy room for the ac lines and dryer and my 85 is a good example to compare the 2 extra tanks I have that prolly want fit either.Kinda sucks bc they tanks are da!! near identical except the plastic is curved more or straight on the top and sides to accommodate the AC stuff.So in case anyone wonders this.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 8:06 PM
Ok here are WAYNES doors and also the pass side door the glass was removed,I believe it was like this b4 went I took pics.I did get the lower hinges that bolt to the body.Took 50 min to remove not to much of a b!@ch.I got both side glasses plus the clips the that hold them in place and the covers below the glass and trim at the door.Next in the pic of parts 3 strut tower bars of a couple 2nd gens!!!!.Next is a pic of me nice and sweaty and DIRTY!!!!!!!!!!!.I went thru two bottles of water and a big gatorade while I there.Da!! I am tired,but NOW clean and those doors are stupid heavy.Gm made a real steel door.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 4:56 AM
How much for the strut bars? Front or rear?

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 5:54 PM
you so crazy! But wow!

send me an email at itsmach5 (at) yahoo.com, so i can pay you for this.
Wednesday, July 27, 2011 7:59 PM
The strut bars are for the front and I know 2 of them are off 91 model cavs with the 3.1 I think.The other one is off a 90 model.I would have to compare the two alike to differiate the yrs.I did place one on my 85 it will fit,but with the wiring harness and plastic cover (drvr side) it rubs right against it.I do not know how much but,I will not be LOCO on price.I got all the items tues U saw for 130.00 the doors be 80.00 (40.00 each side). Wayne I will get you a invoice sent maybe tommrrw thru paypal.TO tired after yard work and washing and cleaning the insides of my wifes car and mother in laws after yarding it.Guess price on strut bars 10-15? idk is that fair spike.

Thursday, July 28, 2011 4:20 AM
I'd probably need the 1990 one as my cavy is a 1989, If I happen to stop @ my dads this weekend I'll get some measurements between the strut tower bolts. If you don't mind could you hold on to it till the end of next week I should have some extra spending money then. I'll pm you my zipcode so you can estimate how much shipping will be. If you happen across 2nd gen convertibles grab the rear shock tower brace as well.

Thursday, July 28, 2011 12:25 PM
Hey, don't use that shirt to polish any Cavalier sheetmetal...it'll probably strip off the paint! Holy cow!

How 'bout it for the hardest working man on the 1st gen board!!! WOOO HOOOOO

Good expanation on the differing coolant bottles...go figure...the V6s get the smaller bottle than the 2.0s.

Thursday, July 28, 2011 1:13 PM
ooh...don't do that paypal thing--i've never used it and never will...really, i'd rather just send you a check or if you want I'll send my uncle a check and he can give you cash at the time.
Thursday, July 28, 2011 8:30 PM
That is fine wayne paypal or not.And if your uncle is going to do the meet and just pay a cash out way is fine.And spike J I am holding the parts NO RUSH,so never fear it will be here.I already sent u a pm reply which u will see before this anyway.

Friday, July 29, 2011 1:25 PM
The bar in the middle will fit any year up to 91, and the other two bars will fit anything 92-94.

Ron- if you see a passenger side door mirror delete panel, grab it for me. I think it was on 91-ish cars.

Friday, July 29, 2011 1:26 PM
Oh, and if you find any Sunbird GT fender flares, those always go for a good price.

Friday, July 29, 2011 8:06 PM
Ok james will check on that panel,there might be something for that at my local place(I love to go to)I assume the panel just takes the place of a mirror?,I figure it is plastic and easy enuff.The ONE thing I enjoy here is literally nobody screws with the 1st or 2nd too much.YEAH for me apparently the only J body junkie guy in town.I got a strut bar off a 1990 sunbird yestday had the 3.1 not sure if it was GT I think it was.Idk scrolling around in mid 90s heat makes u kinda miss stuff.I just need my own JBODY JUNKYARD.I could so go crazy with that idea.

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 9:48 AM
Yeah, it's just a plastic triangle screwed to the door in place of the mirror.

I second the J body junkyard.

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 1:19 PM
Hey Ron, There are not too many 1st gen J body junkies in the whole country. I think I'm the only one in Massachusetts or even New England . Just wish I could find a good set of doors like those with minimal rust. How did that hinge puller tool work?

John

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 8:57 PM
Your going to be surprised how I got the pins out.NO special tool set was required.Just a guy with some removal ideas and lots of kick azz tools.I used a flat head screw driver(big size about a 3/8 head),hammer to tap,break OFF the metal tab sleeves on the pins(flat head small,and long needle nose to pull out).Next a tool I used for upholestry it has a handle like a screw drvr,but forked on the end but square and open in the middle about 3/8 inch used to remove plastic tabs and pry with.Used a scratch awl(basically a normal handle and pointed on the end very sharp.Last a 1/4 inch 6 inch long extension reversed the part that goes in the rachet to push the pointed pin up or down.Took me about 50 minutes to get both door off,and opening them and lubed to help ease the tension.Crazy stuff but,just easing the top some,bottom some and work them even so one pin is not under more pressure than the other.Granted the fenders were removed! one side was gone,the other I pulled off in two minutes,so gravy.If I did it again I would use the same process.I think picking up the doors sucked the most and carrying out on a wheel barrow.Heavy mo fo s.

Friday, August 05, 2011 8:10 PM
I am contemplating going uh back to the junkyard monday.I needed a break this wk.I will look for the grill Z style not broke,and see if any new items have arrived.And JOHN I may check with the other yard I mentioned phone call check and see if they have anything bfore I go probably thurs if other plans do not interven.Monday is good and not carrying heavy items is so nice.Took it easy thurs and glad I did.

Monday, August 08, 2011 8:41 PM
No junkyarding today.I will go thurs had to do some other stuff.SO if you guys are looking for something let me know since I am planning on the thursday to do early in the day.R

Thursday, August 11, 2011 8:32 PM
Ok went to the junkpile today.Got these items,rear markers,the whole radio antenna cable to bracket on fender(not shown) a FULL rear harness for the tail lights,and markers,license,fuel door,plus the whole fuel neck to tank,and plastic cover over it in the fender weld.Oh and the hdlight switch,and the wiper and def switch (hard to find those).This came off the 86z.NOW james cahill NO mirror delete available there.Spike J u wanted a cluster with speedo,fuel,water,oil,battery,and tach they DO have 1 on a 89rs and is in really GOOD condition.Btw it is the gauges not the dummy lights!And NO Z grills from the yrs u said.They crushed the Zs they had(!@#$%*).and the one they had was gone.I know I forgetting something but this is the story right now.

Thursday, August 11, 2011 9:35 PM
Hey Ron, if you are not using the right side digi dash wiper and rear defrost switch pod, I could use it. I smashed in my rear defroster swtich the 1st month I had mine b/c I was impatient and expected the window to clear too fast (idiot light w/ pic of my face came on).

Let me know!

Friday, August 12, 2011 4:40 AM

Do the gauges look like ^^this^^?? Thats the only panel that will fit in my '89 VL without tearing/modifying the whole dash.

Friday, August 12, 2011 5:45 AM
Thanks for looking Ron.

Friday, August 12, 2011 2:34 PM
did you say the seats were no good?
Friday, August 12, 2011 9:24 PM
Spike YES that display is exactly like the junker someone pulled the radio out,or faceplate but,to remove the dash cluster umm 5-10 minutes tops.The other 89 had the dum dum guages.Next james I will keep tabs on another yard I want to call them first,just for parts and if they do let ME do a upull I will go there searching for said,cover plate.The seats in the 86Z were kinda worn and def got wet by now,being I got the DOORS off the car for wayne.Mentioning doors they had a another 87 doors were straight but drvr side had quiet a bit of rust at the seem below the upholestry,the pass side much better some rust but could be sanded,ground down and filled but doors were solid and not to much dent or creases I could see.I am so running out of gas long driving day,and let me ponder some more.John I got ur message btw.

Sunday, August 14, 2011 1:38 PM
Very cool Ron- email and pay sent.
Thanks again!

John

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search