Went to the U-pull it and wow found some cool stuff. - Page 6 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Went to the U-pull it and wow found some cool stuff.
Monday, April 30, 2012 8:11 PM
Ok here are todays pics 1982 skyhawk untouched parts wise.It is pretty dirty outside,1.8 ohc,auto,tan interior,seats hurtin from sun burn back seat ok ,door panels pretty decent.I have no parts off it,but showing and also saw a 1974 chev vega wagon! a 1951 and 1953 chev pick ups kinda weird and got some misc items.I am dirty,sticky(humid today) and itchy as !@#% idk guess crawling inside some rides I got the goo on me.

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 4:56 AM
Wow did they dredge that out of a river/pond, damn that is coated lol. If it's still there the next time you go pick up those little black covers on the strut towers for me, my lil red doesn't have those, to be honest I've never seen a 2nd gen with those covers . That'd be a great shell for Vic, would make an awesome drag car

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 10:04 AM
The body on that sky-hawk is SOLID!

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 12:54 PM
Yeah, It does look solid. Even the door seam looks good in the open door picture. That's something that us guys in the rust belt can appreciate, a sold original 29 year old car. Even if it is in a salvage yard and inching closer to the shredder.
That Skyhawk nose would look cool on a drag car.

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 1:21 PM
sure, that has to show up the week after i'm there! I probably would've went nuts on it.

Good thing I guess since that giant sucking sound I hear is the money leaving my wallet for something other than the Hawk.
Tuesday, May 01, 2012 6:09 PM
WOW - a "Hawk!! :-O

Can't help but wonder if the head is good. Unfortunately, you can't find that out till after you pull 'em....and it's a lotta work to pull 'em... :-(

Got 2 in a box here that I got home, turned upside down , poured some liquid in the chambers and watched disappointedly as it leaked past the valves. If it's air tight, it'll be water tight. It she was in my neck of the woods tho, I'd tear into it anyways, 'cause they are just so darn hard to come by. Hope someone that way will get some parts off it before it's all gone!!

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 7:42 PM
Yeah I was like whattttttttttttttt.1982? Anyway yeah orlean not sure on the head looks to have been sitting a longggg time.As for the front strut tower covers those are easy to get,and I MIGHT go back this wk for some stuff and grab those BUT yet again I have a extra set myself of the black covers.SLick vic could buy the car probably dirt cheap,but he has a pretty good drive to come for it.And it probably has a title bc they do take cars with titles but,drag racing title is not a issue.Just some fun junking around yesterday.Still that dash was weird compared to most I see and looked pretty nice aside from the dash pad coming up some in spots.

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 4:01 AM
The Firenza and Skyhawk both used those style dashes & IC's. They even had a full set of gauges on the Type 10's.
You'll never , ever see such diversity in a GM body style such as this again. So many different variations in the bodys , interiors , even interior colors and fabric patterns. It was a golden age, and we didn't even know it!!

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 4:24 AM
Orlen Brown wrote:The Firenza and Skyhawk both used those style dashes & IC's. They even had a full set of gauges on the Type 10's.
You'll never , ever see such diversity in a GM body style such as this again. So many different variations in the bodys , interiors , even interior colors and fabric patterns. It was a golden age, and we didn't even know it!!

Yeah it's amazing what you could've ordered back in the day @ the dealers, now you're lucky if you get engine choices or more than 2 choices in interior colors. And what happened to all the blue's, red's and green's for exterior colors, now most of the colors are silver or light gold metallic.
It'll be sad if somebody doesn't snatch that up and it gets crushed Even if the engine & transmission is shot the shell would make a great race car whether it be drag race, bonneville or road race car. I'd probably transplant a rwd Solstice/Sky powertrain in it .

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 10:18 AM

Im thinking this is an 85-87 that third brake light came around in 85 and that looks to be 1.8 ohc engine .Thinking those were 85-86 and 87 had 2.0 just a thought.

[IMG]
Wednesday, May 02, 2012 10:33 AM
Yep, I see that 3rd brake light too, now that you mention it. It could still be an early model though. Back in those days, the insurance companies were famous for giving you a break on your premium, if you had an after market 3rd break light installed. So this might be an example of one of those.

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 2:59 PM
1986 - I had one just like it but Red. I paid $300 for it and it made it 5 months... I seem to remember mine having an OHV though hmmm

Thursday, May 03, 2012 8:42 AM
There were plenty of aftermarket third brake lights back then. I even remember a TV commercial telling people they had to buy one because beginning in 1986 “IT’S THE LAW!!!”

So there were many people who didn’t know better buying these and installing them.

I’m sure Ron looked at the door decal or VIN to determine year here, so I don’t doubt his 1982.

That larger badge stating “custom” on the trunk is something I’ve never seen before, and I’m guessing it also says “custom” on the little badge in front of the SkyHawk emblem on the fender. Later years the word “custom” or “limited” was placed toward the rear of the quarter panel. I don’t know if any option packages came with the limited other than more plush seats, but the limited was more likely to have power windows and locks.

It doesn’t have the “fuel injection” badge on the fender near the door, and being 1982, makes me wonder if it is a carb in there. I’m guessing carb because the air intake goes to the side and without checking my car, I believe mine goes to the front.

I am so interested in the hood, trunk lid, fenders, overflow bottle, throttle body (if injected), power steering reservoir, and the cubby hole with lighter socket (if there’s no rear defrost button) but those body parts are too much for me to deal with shipping and I don’t see me making the drive again any time soon. But more than anything—the prop rod so I don’t have to deal with my hood shock going bad and not being able to replace it someday.
Thursday, May 03, 2012 10:57 AM
Thursday, May 03, 2012 4:55 PM
I'd be interested in the plastic air dam if it is still there the next go around. While a bit bulky, I don't believe it would be heavy. If someone else has dibs I'll kindly step aside!! :-)

Thursday, May 03, 2012 8:44 PM
Ok let me clear some things up here.First this yard bar codes EVERY car with the year and is verified.I did not bother checking the build date but it is a 1982 NO ?. Now as for fuel it IS fuel injected!!!! I personally removed the air cleaner to see a pretty nice tbi that looked really nice for its age.It is a early model tbi a touch different at least in my mind from mine (cav) but could be wrong.Now I might could go back next thurs being kinda shorter on funds right now and get some things off of it.Wayne shipping the fenders would not be too bad and I have shipped them before but that trunk lid and hood idk about cost to ship and probably would have to be ups or a ltl company bc of size fedex ground only goes so big on things.The over flow easy,prop rod to,and orlen the plastic from the aircleaner to front easy grab.Kinda fried from being outside today so trying to get this all straight.Cool

Friday, May 04, 2012 5:25 AM
No disrespect intended Ron. I checked wiki and some other places and 82-86 looks a lot alike. My 86 was a POS when I bought it in 95. It had rust everywhere. It did have the OHV engine like the Cavalier. I paid $300 for it, then went to a salvage yard and got the T-Type rims for it. I liked the way it looked and always looked past the rust. I could not look past the $900 they wanted to put a new head on it, and down she went...

Friday, May 04, 2012 8:59 AM
Ron--don't go pulling the whole thing apart. That was really just a wish list, but not something I see me having the money for anytime soon.

Definately the overflow, PS reservoir and prop rod though, but not the body parts.
Friday, May 04, 2012 10:14 AM
oops, and the cubby hole with lighter (yeah, that's one piece) as long as there's no rear defroster (doesn't look like there's one)
Friday, May 04, 2012 5:03 PM
WHooooHooooo!!

What a blast from the past!!

No doubt, this machine surely has been sitting around awhile.

I thinks I saw a good ole fashioned 2 knob stereo /cassette tape player!!

Brings back memories - how times have changed. Now I just plug in those USB pin drives. Somehow it's just not the same tho, is it. Remember the tape Drrrgggaggggaaaag-ing. Or how about the tape player getting hungry clean out of the blue!! How about the the tape squealing and it came over the speakers and drove you CRAZY!!

I don't care, Man. Those were the days!!

Heck, Ron. You outta pull that thing next trip - and take it home for a bit o' memorabilia !! Sure does make you think about the changes that have come along the way.

Friday, May 04, 2012 9:48 PM
All is cool paul I guess I should have done a good snap shot of how this yard bar codes the cars and it literally has the year labeled this is how they inventory cars and based on titles and cars door tags if it is readable.And wayne ok on the small items over flow coolant tank,ps res,prop,and cubby part if no defrost action button.Now orlen while I love the js for memoribilia I think a solid hatch back would be a take home the whole car idea.Last year they had that 86 which I have some memories saved from it fenders both sides in my attic!!And john mac has some pieces saved too I got for him so while the whole car is mush now pieces survived does that count?IF I were in a position to buy more whole cars to store in doors in big shop I would so love but that lottery ticket on my number picking has yet to pan out(idk why umm I keep trying).It would be a never ending resto job and I would have to hire peeps to help me do all the work right.So in the mean time I keep working and get what I can to keep some parts and sell what some need in a more reasonable cost I think.Done for now.

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 6:45 AM
the buick is also the model that sported a hood shock. haven''t seen one of them on any other model.... shame this one didn't have one.
Thursday, August 09, 2012 8:13 PM
Ok FINALLY went to the u pull bc they had some 1st gens.First pics are of a 1985! sunbird kinda rough and doors are rust free on the bottom.Also are pics of a 1985 buick skyhawk kinda beat up but stupid LOW miles as you will see odometer pic and doors are straight.I took some pics of a 87 sedan cav for ORLEN front bumper cover not bad kinda beat some on the rubber molding but over all pretty decent I guess.Let me know if good or pass and try for another unless you just want to skip replacing yours.Now I got a solid sunroof (factory style) for a spare and couple seat belt pieces black and a lug wrench bag (factory) and some odd items not seen.I sweat my @#$ of today so enjoy seeing these and WAYNE the sky did have the hood shock but was toast!The yard just got most of these cars in late july and aug so finally could justify going to scour around.Also there is a 87 cimmaron and kinda rough and four door untouched.

Friday, August 10, 2012 4:38 AM
Like I said in the other topic if you find a Cimmaron get everything you can off of it as those are super rare cars especially the ones with the Euro headlights.
Wish I had the extra funds and guts to go to my local u-pull, too bad they put it smack dab in the middle of the 'hood, with all the shootings and robberies lately I don't even go anywhere near where it's located .

Friday, August 10, 2012 1:18 PM
That's cool, not really worried about the hood shock (I think they still make those, and I was looking for a prop rod). I got a prop rod off a Cavy.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search