Went to the U-pull it and wow found some cool stuff. - Page 8 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Went to the U-pull it and wow found some cool stuff.
Friday, November 30, 2012 2:11 PM
Ron, You can add the brown seat belts to my list also if no one has claimed them. They look to be in better shape than mine, especially the outer plastics that are on the door sides (The ones that are bolted to the outer side the seats).

Friday, November 30, 2012 8:19 PM
Got that and will throw them in your pile of two strut bars,and that one mount that is correct.Spent today organizing some parts and cleaning the extra air box for J.mac .Just got inside from the car stuff etc.The day is catching up with me now.

Saturday, December 01, 2012 10:07 PM
Quote: So now J.mac your next for the strut bar on recall when I find more,and will recheck my pm I lost count on that (tired).Maybe next wk yard two hours out for a easier find of things maybe.

Ron, your stuff looks purty as aways. I'll 'strut' into the on-deck circle for your next find for a strut bar! Thank you for your hard work!

(Quoting a past member)-"Never underestimate a First Gen"
Tuesday, January 15, 2013 8:03 PM
Ok no big deal items I found,but here they are.I got 4 shock tower covers,one hood latch assembly,the front fashia or what ever it is called took the hdlights out,uncracked,grill solid,bezels solid.I also got a oil cap and front bumper plate holder(kinda hard to find these) literally.I also got the front marker lights and there nice.Cleaned them up,polished the lens and got the sockets with wiring for back ups and just not in the pic(I forgot) duh.I wanted a front bumper cover but the one on car was damaged too much and left that.I need to readjust my camera the pics look grey and also forgot the tbi spacer is there too.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 4:41 AM
looks like another great haul to me...

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 9:34 AM
Great score there Ron!!

BTW - Steve Dennis had PM'ed me asking about a front plate bracket, but I didn't have any leads. You might PM him to see if he is still in need. Those brackets , as you experienced are just plain plastic and suffer destruction at the towing of those "old fashioned" tow trucks with the boom. I watched it happen myself on that old coupe the Fire Dept destroyed. A perfectly good bracket was torn all to pieces that day :-(

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 12:23 PM
Thanks for thinking of me Orlen! I did find an NOS part on Ebay last fall. My Z is in storage for the winter and won't return until April 1. That's why I've been non-existant lately. Hope all is good! Cheers...

Thursday, May 09, 2013 9:08 PM
Ok went to my local junk pile.Looking for civic items nephews car.Zero to be got but did manage to find a 91 bird and 94 cav z24.I lucked out and found yet one more front strut bar(I am not sure I want to let it go just yet) and two rear sways with all the hardware.I found the 91 rear sway (this was a vert) the sway was smaller in diameter but same overall design and same bushings.The other one off the 94z was spot on the same as the ones I have got and just dirty parts to clean up.Kinda hoped for my j stuff but these seem to be slimming down in frequency of them showing up especially in the 1st gen age bracket.I did get kinda dirty myself.Oh and got the rubber boots for rear springs top and cone shaped one off the 91 bird.Not a easy task wheels were barely off the ground and had to remove to get the space to drop out the springs.

Friday, May 10, 2013 4:58 AM
Nice Score Ron - esp on those rear spring insulators (boots). Those are hard to come by in good shape.

Thursday, May 23, 2013 4:47 PM
Got this in the mail from Greensboro, NC this week. One brand new factory strut bar!

Thanks Ron!

Thursday, May 23, 2013 4:51 PM
Looks great!

Thursday, May 23, 2013 11:18 PM
That does pretty good.Now to try and finish that civic project(and the rear brakes are a pain).Got them in but snapped a rear hardline bc the lhs whl cylder was leaking.I already did the rhs a wk ago and go figure where I will be going for some new metal line napa.I will have to bend it myself since no one offers it except honda likely.I will so happy to be done with this migraine.

Friday, May 24, 2013 5:57 AM
Ron - good luck with the project, I hope you are getting paid by the hour

Friday, May 24, 2013 7:55 PM
I've felt your pain Ron! It can get This Bad....LoL

I figured after a glance at my nightmarish brake-line repair job photos, you can do nothing but much better!!! It was the best I could do with the length of brake line I could obtain. Later I figured out I could have cut everything shorter and used a couple of splices, but everything sealed up perfectly and there was room for any flexing . Been through a few state inspections with this and they have passed so I'm satisfied, even if it is as ugly as home-made sin!

Friday, May 24, 2013 9:20 PM
Ok 1st pic broken original LHS line.I used in the 2nd my brake bending pipe tool and also the NEW custom line I made and bougth this 12 inch line from napa for 5.00.This is a polymer line so no rusted crap anymore.Next are some pics of the line installed brakes bleed and test drove it with NEW rear drums,shoes,and spring kit and last wk it got new fully rebuilt front calipers(including holding brackets,slides and bolts) new pads and rotors.SO in short this car has been bleed 5 times due to issues and it stoppppps 100% better.The rears were toast and lhs whl cyldr had a leak which is why I had to remove the hardline which snapped thur.Paul the mother in law is taking care of me on my labor.I have a tandem load of new gravel in my driveway!!!!!! I go with the #57 size or say quarter size for a good base.I have earned every rock in my driveway working on this car,but I want it RIGHT and safe and not making return visits for petty things falling apart later.The car only has 120k on so I project many good reliable miles for this civic.

Saturday, May 25, 2013 4:23 AM
1st glance and before reading my eyeballs went "that's no J-Body?" ... LoL

Now that is the RIGHT way!! (BIG pat on the back!!)

Ron you got it lookin' professional under there - not like my hillbilly roller coaster going on.

I'll have to put this tool on my wish list - as my rolling stock gets older and older I'll be doing more line repairs /replacement.

Sounds like Mother-n-Law is a Keeper!! So nice to hear family working together.
When it works like you folks do - everyone is a winner

Saturday, May 25, 2013 7:27 AM
At Advance we got this new type of brake line that is a steel and copper alloy. It's rust proof and you can bend it without a tool.

Saturday, May 25, 2013 8:55 AM
Looks much better than the old fashioned bend it anyway you can to get it to fit way.
While we are on the subject does anyone have a good quality double flaring tool that they can recommend. I have an old Craftsman set that I can only get about 70% reliability out of.

Saturday, May 25, 2013 11:26 PM
Idk john on the flare tool.The tool as above was like 16-18.00 at napa back in 2010.I used it for my 87 pu bent new lines for my axle swap since I did a total resto on the used one.I may have to buy something like that,but at the time do not need.I may look around since you mentioned it when I am out.I had it easy fittings on lines and were brand new polymer lines so no rust!!! I do know the tool you describe but being my specific use was not mending or fixing bad ends.

Sunday, May 26, 2013 7:38 AM
I usually buy brake line in rolls of 25' and make my own custom length. I need to replace all the brake lines on my F150 this summer and a new double flaring tool will make it a little easier.

Friday, July 12, 2013 9:42 PM
Ok went to my local pull a part and found this 91 sunbird LE with the 2.0 ohc auto, it is ok in degrees and I did not grab any parts off of it.However if someone here needs something specific I may consider making a return trip.I plan next week to hit my favorite yard which has a 86 cav not sure on model but a couple of 90's and and hope to find maybe some more strut bars and or items I can use.I went today for a used GOOD bumper for my nephews 98accord which was rear ended and hit and run cracked rear bumper.I got the bumper and support just in case not sure how it is behind the cover and the part is the exact color which will save $.We were going to get a new one and have painted so that helps on cash.

Friday, July 12, 2013 10:09 PM
I would grab those window switches. They are obsolete and hard to find in good shape.

Saturday, July 13, 2013 8:43 PM
Yep, grab the whole pod - both sides with the switches and door panel mounts...

How is the passenger side door belt molding?

Saturday, July 13, 2013 11:42 PM
As for the switches I did not even think to check those.Paul on the 91 the door window sweep outside is the flat style unlike our ridged version.Not sure on the quarter glass ones either.I however know a place that NOW sells the supposedly outside quarter window sweeps separate for 1st and 2nd gens and will double check before I link that here.I came across the link on ebay or surfing randomly on bing for cavalier stuff.Just got in late so not quite super focused.

Sunday, July 14, 2013 9:18 AM
Sorry Ron - Not the window sweep but the thick black/chrome door molding.

I am looking for a perfect black door piece. The chome doesn't matter as it is most likely the sticker type. Earlier ones like mine had a metal insert. I take of the adhesive off and put the metal in and it looks great.

I bought one new (sticker type) for $80 in 1997 and was going to put it on and then the car sat for 6 years. I opened the trunk and the adhesive molding was all pocked - just from sitting in the trunk for 6 years in the gm wrapper.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search