How / Where to Check Fuel Pressure - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How / Where to Check Fuel Pressure
Sunday, July 31, 2011 12:19 PM
Howdy all. Just wondered where I could check the fuel pressure on my 86 Cavalier with the 2.0 and TBI. I think the fuel pump is weak, and I want to be able to test it. I know the process and I've done it on newer cars with a fuel rail and schrader valve fittings. I've also done it on cars with low pressure pumps by putting a tee in the fuel line & a couple clamps.

Since this has a banjo bolt-fed line where can I splice in without creating a problem? I really don't want to mess with disconnecting the fuel hoses in the engine bay since they're hard to get to and I will probably wind up breaking something. Fuel filter would be an idea but I can't figure out what fittings to use to accomplish that. Argh.

Anyone had to do this? What's easiest?

Re: How / Where to Check Fuel Pressure
Sunday, July 31, 2011 10:06 PM
Never done this.In short yrssss ago had mine chkd at gm just to verify the pump issue.I had no real ideas on the car from my sister.I paid for a check,fixed pump myself.But to answer make a line that will tee into the FRONT of the primary line going to the tbi,so NO cuts just some hose and fuel gauge.CLamp it down in said areas and run car or turn key on.I definitely would not cut my orig lines for a check.Just pull your primary out,run a tee,three way,connect to tbi,etc .I figure gm or any shop does the same.No schrader valve kinda sucks but YOU know we could add a fitting inline with the primary use some permatex high temp gasket sealer(GOOD STUFF) red in color small can, and brush both sides of the lines and where a valve is placed at the upright T point and clamp 3 times for future checks.This stuff will seal hoses for fuel,antifreeze,atf,oil and is safe to use on rubber!!!!! Hope my short story does not make u go to sleep.

Monday, August 01, 2011 8:59 AM
I ended up putting the pressure tester between the filter and the line in the back...I did
fit it on the TBI but it was quite tight...
Monday, August 01, 2011 3:41 PM
Ron, that's what I was thinking, but the front line has a banjo fitting on it, so I can't figure out a good way to tee into it. I could try to disconnect it where it connects to the main hard steel line...but its a 3/8 flare fitting, and I can't find 3/8 flare tee fittings locally anywhere. They're all NPT or compression. I miss my old Napa store in Chicago. They would have fixed me up in a jiffy.

Brian, the filter is an option then? Can you just use a piece of fuel line and a plastic tee with clamps? Will that hold?

Thanks everyone as always!

Monday, August 01, 2011 8:57 PM
You know D I thought about the hard line bc mines the same.I def would not cut the hardline.I would have to look at my local truck pro(truck parts place,big trucks) they have fittings all day.Would have to see if anything would alloy US to add a T inline being the connection is flared bigger nut going over it(now that is a issue there)plus having to push the line away and make the T fit and clamp tight like the orig.Putting a shrader valve off the rear at the fuel filter probably easier with out alot of change.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search