84 sunbird convt will not start...been parked 2 years - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
84 sunbird convt will not start...been parked 2 years
Saturday, July 23, 2011 6:47 AM
Hello All,
I just bought an 84 sunbird convt with about 60,000 miles on it...nice clean car but I was told it was driven to the garage and now it will not start...no fuel coming down the throttle body. I hear the pump running. I plan to change the filter and do a pressure check. Is there something else common with these first gen OHC throttle bodies that sticks? It has a full tank but smells like old gas. I see a year and a half of lawn mower gas coming out of it during the change out...so...any ideas? Thanks again.

Re: 84 sunbird convt will not start...been parked 2 years
Saturday, July 23, 2011 11:15 PM
Honestly if it want start it probably is a weak pump(if it you hear it).You can do a psi check and filter,however my suggestion.Would be put the rear end up on jacks about a foot or more for room,disconnect battery(negative)cable and disconnect the hoses for the filler neck and loosen straps and drop it out.I would strongly suggest lubing the straps bolts with liquid wrench and let sit for a day or so before.I would buy a new fuel pump,filter and dump the gas.Once you get this done,do a tune up,new wires,plugs,distributor cap,rotor button,change the oil and filter(yeah not running) yet but so be it.Clean the throttle body with THROTTLE BODY CLEANER!! they do sell this at advance auto,auto zone,napa.Then once u do all the above THEN try and start the car.Running fuel this OLD may do more harm to the single injector or IAC valve and foul the plugs out and pollute the oil with unbearnt fuel and bad.I changed my fuel pump out in my 85 in 3 hrs total however bad gas was not a issue.I seriously would NOT let this gas run thru being a FULL tank.The pump psi should be 9-13 psi for tbi applications.Just with the age of the car even if u do a filter and pump works it could eventually fail.The fuel pump has a sock on it inside (a little filter) and if deteriated sucking trash and clogged the filter and lines,or injector.My suggestion soley but,to prevent serious drama later I would spend the money on the pump,and full tune BEFORE to prevent issues later being it sat so long.Good luck and hope your eyes don't hurt after my little book.

Sunday, July 24, 2011 4:17 AM
Look for a pinched section of rubber fuel line that someone may have replaced.
Monday, July 25, 2011 5:37 AM
Turns out about 1 year ago the fuel system was cleaned and new filter put in. I hear the pump running and shut off after about 3 seconds. I have pulled the filter and no debris in it and for that matter not much pressure. I will be putting a pump in it this weekend...If the pump was running with out reaching pressure wouldnt it just run and run not Run and shut off? What sends the signal to the pump to run and shut off? Thanks for the information all...Brian
Monday, July 25, 2011 8:18 PM
There is a fuel pump relay.I literally have no idea where it is.I would bet either under the dash on the kick panel side,or under the hood mounted on either fender.I would have to do some homework on my 85 and locate it myself.My schematics show it .I say being the pump is working lame it might be a bad pump literally.If it did zero I would suspect the relay THEN,or a bad oil temp pressure switch which work together in a solid ground,and relay are working.The oil pressure switch just kills the fuel,if the switch for OIL pressure was bad or crappy ground to protect the engine from running.I say faulty pump,maybe a weak relay (not sure about that idea) BUT you could disconnect the oil pressure switch (you will have 2 ) one if for cars that have the dummy light no guage,the 2nd is the oil pressure sensor that will have a rubber boot on it and runs off psi from the engine.U could remove the switch clean with brake cleaner,clean your wiring connection and hook back up( use some permatex hi temp thread sealant on the threads IF you remove both or just the psi sensor.Heck could be just a bad ground from battery cables,or connections on the fuel pump on top of the tank.IDK other wise .Do not get dizzzzzzzy reading my short story.I think if I have time I will look for said relay bc I have no idea where the heck it is and would like to know myself.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 6:56 PM
sorry this is basic - will the car start with pure starting fluid in the tb?

Thursday, July 28, 2011 3:38 AM
Yes....seems to be fine on that end. Car was driven there but running rough 1 year ago...was parked for two prior (possibly started in the garage). All work done on car to this point has been at the dealer. Does anyone have a recommendation on siphoning the gas? I have gotten 1/2 the tank out...is there an easy way to get beyond the barrier in the tank? Taking the tank out this weekend. I suspect that I will find something like the rubber hose connector in the tank being degraded and loosing the pump pressure.
Thursday, July 28, 2011 6:03 PM
Mine sat for 8 years and I was able to get it to start... Fuel flowing at schrader valve on fuel line? Sounds like pump to me though...

Monday, August 01, 2011 8:58 AM
Update...The car has always had a full tank of gas. I guessed correctly that the fuel line in the tank had rotted. Put a new pump in it while I was there...car did not even have high pressure fittings...just clamps! Either way I drove it home and man...it drives like a new car. Thanks for the advice....BTW does anyone know if the OHC 1.8 is an interference engine? Thanks...B
Monday, August 01, 2011 9:09 PM
Glad things are going good.I dunno know about the ? on interference or not.I would have to read some unless paul or daryl know or others.I need to work on mine just too busy lately like today cutting up a tree that fell in my yard.It is done,almost had to cut a 2nd tree that was leaning on the one that fell,bc it would fall with a hard wind.One pile of limbs left to move out.I have axle job both side plus seals on trans to replace.And resto work will go along with that fun.Maybe soon who knows.

Thursday, August 04, 2011 8:01 AM
YES. The 1.8 OHC is considered an "Interference" engine.

Make sure you change the Timing Belt to be sure it is good after that long.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search