LNF 1st gen? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
LNF 1st gen?
Thursday, August 04, 2011 8:30 AM
So, I finally got my 85 Sunbird Turbo Sedan back on the road and I'm a little disappointed. The old gal has about had enough. I'm scared that if I put the boost controller back on and set it back to 15lbs as I ran it back in the day I'll be picking up 1985 motor parts off the highway. Back then the little car was fast to me. Now that I have a 04 GTO and 06 Cobalt SS/SC the bird isn't nearly as impressive and driving it gives me more of a nostalgic feeling than anything else. I was wondering if anyone has swapped a 2.0 Ecotec Turbo (LNF) and trans into a 1st gen bird? I read that someone installed that combo into a 90 Sunbird convertible but can't find anymore information past it was done. I was just wondering if it has been done and someone could hook me up with some info or am I just gonna have to fly in blind? I didn't want to buy the donor car without some info but I guess I may have to. I love the little car (the old lady has other feelings about it) and I just feel it would be the best way to repower it and keep the turbo bird a turbo. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Re: LNF 1st gen?
Thursday, August 04, 2011 9:05 AM
I know there was a guy on our local forum that had a turbo l61 in his first gen. Haven't seen any posts from him in a while though and don't know what became of the car.
Thursday, August 04, 2011 8:28 PM
My honest opinion.I would simply pull the engine and trans out,rebuild them back to spec.To me this would be more cost prohibitive and keep the car as close to original as possible.Swapping things cost more,time to change it out,or modify things,plus the headaches the change could cause on the suspension,and body in general.I understand your interest but,being u have other rides with more pwr why not just resto what u have and retain the oem factor for 1st gen feel,and appreciate it as it is.Good luck either way,but being straight with my thoughts on this.

Friday, August 05, 2011 5:49 AM
Philly, do you recall the fellas screen name? Paul, the thought of restoring the factory drivetrain came to mind but it seems the aftermarket world has long forgot the turbo birds. Even the old guys at he dealer that were around when those cars were new keep reminding me of how weak the motors are. The sedan is a car that only this like us can appreciate. If these import tuner guys can't respect the history behind the car, might as well make em respect the design of the tailights. Lol!
Tuesday, August 09, 2011 6:26 PM
These cars were very respectable back in the day when the Camaros and Mustangs were only putting out 150 HP with V8s!

I am getting a little more out of mine but I have had thoughts of going to a v6 turbo v6 setup out of a Grand Prix or just bolting on a IHI snail out of a turbo coupe...

who knows, time will tell. I have the only one around by me so I am happy enough with that for now.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search