Tach not working in 87 Z - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tach not working in 87 Z
Friday, August 12, 2011 2:33 PM
can anyone tell me how to get the tach to work? I have seen several cars with digital dash and the tach does not work!

Re: Tach not working in 87 Z
Friday, August 12, 2011 9:55 PM
Well I am no guru with the electronics dash.But based on my diagrams for the 2.8 there should be a tachometer filter(electrical) the gauge plug has not sure if behind the dash or close to the ignition coil has A white wire that feeds the signal to the gauge itself.U can try removing the dash and simply check ur connections then,check for continuity on the said white wire going to the coil,key ON,car not running,and see if it has a signal.My haynes shows the schematics but,does not say for the 2.8 but it is,bc the other pages address the 3.1 soley.Unless you want me to grab the whole cluster out of the 1986 Z with the 2.8 at the junk pile,looks ok,I will charge u for the cost of said part plus shipping via fedex.I would check things first bfore opting for another dash.Heck I was seriously considering buying it,just as a in case but,I cant use it being I am keeping mine stock plus has a 2.0 eng.

Friday, August 12, 2011 11:21 PM
I have an extra functioning digital dash.
Sunday, August 14, 2011 1:20 PM
how much dale and Ron?
Sunday, August 14, 2011 2:31 PM
Well I am selling a complete digital dash not just the tach. Last time I got $75 plus shipping so if ur interested just let me know.
Sunday, August 14, 2011 9:30 PM
I will sell the dash for what ever I have to pay at the U pull it.Plus shpg I use fedex ground.I am going monday and will see what kind of cost it will be,this place is VERY resonable on pricing.So not sure on actual cost due to the above.I will post it once I know.

Monday, August 15, 2011 7:43 PM
Ok here is instrument cluster out of a 1986 Z24 I did clean it up some,I did not replace any of the bulbs in the back(4) but did replace 1 that is sunk in.It looks to be in pretty good shape,can read all the lettering and will sell this for 35.00 plus real shipping cost not estimated.IF your interested let me know.I paid only 25.00 but have to figure in my time,gas as I assume you can understand.I am very fair on anything I sell.R

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 5:49 AM
Ron Love wrote:

Don't know why but for some reason I think it needs a flux capacitor

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 8:09 PM
Well I just get loco when I see any 1st gen in my local u pull.Tool box is tilted with heavy tools ready to grab anything I can.

Saturday, August 20, 2011 12:59 AM
spike do you still have that dash for sale?
Saturday, August 20, 2011 11:45 AM
I didn't just buy mine from a yard and they are getting harder to find mine is fully tested and all bulbs have been checked to make sure they work. It is my only spare at the moment till I find another digital dash and there aren't many in yards around here

Saturday, August 20, 2011 11:55 AM
Does anyone on here know how to repair the digital dashs?
My z was sitting a couple years and when i put a battery in and started it up, the tach maxxed out at idle and the speedo reads 188 when stopped
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search