My Son and I project car - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
My Son and I project car
Wednesday, August 17, 2011 4:35 PM
This is his 1986 Buick Sky Hawk 1.8 T-type, with only 700 of them made it has been a pain to find part. When we first got this car I up the boost and change the clutch,( went to a custom 4 point clutch ) the motor mount could not take the torque and took out the alternator brackets and timing cover. so we are now redoing the whole car top to bottom.

Re: My Son and I project car
Wednesday, August 17, 2011 5:33 PM
Good luck with your ride. Looks just like my '86 and actually my '87 turbo hatch.

Need '86-7 parts, pm me, have a bunch, new and used... i'm in NJ.

Where did you get the production figures on the '86? Buick never separated production numbers on the turbo from non-turbo models. Even the BCA doesn't have figures on them. Have them for '87's though.

Alan
Wednesday, August 17, 2011 6:37 PM
Buick In 86 only made the hatch back in the T-type and the only why you could get the turbo was with the hatch back. The real # was 712 made and I was told they had to be ordered this was. A dealer for buick where I live told me this. He came running out the door when I pulled up asking me ?, he been with Buick sense 1980. He did all the research on my car for me, that all I can tell you.
Wednesday, August 17, 2011 7:05 PM
Thanks for posting- glad you are saving that puppy! Seems you got the know how and desire. Best of luck.

I had no idea at the time the Turbo T type hatches were so rare. In my area in Morris country NJ, there were several Buick shops and they all had a few non turbo Sport hatches on the lot in the period '86-'87.

As I posted here last year I came within a signature of buying a new red '87 2.0 turbo T type hatch that was on the lot and settled for a much cheaper used '85 Sunbird S/E turbo hatch. Considering I was making 6 bucks an hour at the time it was the logical decision. It is my 'the one that got away' story.

(Quoting a past member)-"Never underestimate a First Gen"
Wednesday, August 17, 2011 7:26 PM
Thank, John My boy would like to show this car, it kind of funny when he tells people what he has they call him a liar saying they only made the t-type in the Sunbird, then he show them the pic.
Wednesday, August 17, 2011 7:42 PM
That should be a interesting project.I am not the guru of jbodys but,do know a touch of things.I have had my 85 type 10 for 13 years and still molding it into something nice(all stock) and have a project slated for it just too busy lately to start it.Good luck and neat car.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 11:37 AM
Steve... your "source" for info on these vehicles isn't quite correct, i'm afraid. In 1986 Buick offered the Skyhawk T-Type option, which by the way was only a trim option, not the turbo option in the Coupe first. It was available with either the 1.8 litre L-4 injected engine as standard equipment, with a 5 speed manual or automatic. The Turbo engine was available as an option with a 4 speed or automatic.

The Hatchback model wasn't available until the last 6 months of the 1986 production run, with either of the above listed engine/tranny options.

In 1987 the T-type designation was dropped in favor of the sport hatch designation. Engine size went up to 2.0 litres, available with or without a turbo option. Don't ask me what the Coupe was called, I can't find out. There is/was a poster here from Nebraska who has the only known, to me, Turbo Coupe. Maybe he'll chime in with wether it was designated a Sport coupe" or not.

Production figures are: Turbo Coupe 4, yes FOUR! Turbo hatchbacks 5, yep FIVE!

One of the Hatches was owned by a former j-bod member, and was totaled while sitting on the shoulder of an interstate highway. I have the email and copy of accident report on this from OP. His Mom actually worked for GM at the Leeds, Mo. assembly plant back then.

I own 2 of the other hatches.... John Mac, yes it's a red one and the other one is white. A third one is mine very soon and is silver.

FWIW Buick only made the five hatches in one color each. White-Red-Black-Silver and Gray. Can't find the damned Gray one though :> to save my butt.

Hope this helps you with your reference library concerning these vehicles. Good luck with your build.

Alan
Thursday, August 18, 2011 12:01 PM
Sweet Car - Go Turbo 1.8!!!

Thursday, August 18, 2011 4:12 PM
Thank Motorman I will keep that info. I just seen a coupe T-type on the web, so I'm still lost lol. But I can say it rare right.
Thursday, August 18, 2011 5:01 PM
Like I stated, the T-type was just a trim option, just like the SS option was for Chevy. My friend has an original SS model, he bought it new, and it's a six cylinder automatic.

Has to be a turbo to be even mentioned with the word "rare". As info on these cars begins to trickle out, expect to find some folks making clones of standard t-type cars with the Pontiac turbo engines in them... passing them off as real deals.

Alan
Thursday, August 18, 2011 6:38 PM
So motorman U have an 1987 turbo 2.0, I see a complete motor on the web with the turbo. ? What kind of Transmission did they put in them, I have a 4 speed don't no who made it. Some say Muncie, I do know they put it in the Pontiac Fiero. The shift reminds me of my old 73 camaro, it is so short and the shift pattern is the same, I know that don't mean nothing.

Friday, August 19, 2011 11:11 AM
Steve.... no, I have two '87 turbo hatchbacks, and one more coming soon.

4 speeds were Muncie transmissions. They didn't use the 5 speed Isuzu because it was not strong enough. If you trash a 4 speed you have one heck of a powerplant, or are into abuse :>O !

Wishfull thinking that they are the same as a RWD 4 speed............ Alan
Friday, August 19, 2011 11:50 AM
Thanks, that help me out a lot. The transmissions is fine, just like to know what we have. It sound like you are trying to corner the market on hatch back, hmmm that why I can't find part. LOL
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search