Anyone need 84 Cavalier Sedan Interior Parts? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Anyone need 84 Cavalier Sedan Interior Parts?
Friday, August 26, 2011 9:26 PM
Good auto trans and very nice basic charcoal interior. Just pulled the 2.0 motor for my 84 Convert. on 8-23-11 and will be junking the car. If you need someting let me know. I am saving a lot of parts but will be willing to sell some parts off (I am a CHEAP New England farm boy and never throw anything away, so it's hard for me to junk it.) It's only a sadan, but someone might need something. By the way it only has 54k on it! The car is in Nashua New Hampshire and I can keep it until the spring of 2012. I can ship anything that can go UPS or you can arrange freight. Here are some pics!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Anyone need 84 Cavalier Sedan Interior Parts?
Friday, August 26, 2011 9:44 PM
OFF TOPIC! But

Just can not resist the year 1984.....Here is my 1984 Eldorado.... Old Orchard Beach Maine...... A great place to Vacation!!

Saturday, August 27, 2011 7:53 AM
Love the Caddy!! Got Cimmaron seats and console in my wagon!! I'm interested in the center caps, and the front license plate frameon your sedan. Too bad we don't live close, I'd be raiding your donor...LoL :-) Email me and maybe we can get do a deal !! :-)

Saturday, August 27, 2011 11:43 AM
Take it you have the idiot light dash and not this one...

Nice Caddy a guy up the street has been trying to unload one with a blue interior for 5+ years, haven't seen it for sale this year yet so he might have given up on selling it.

Saturday, August 27, 2011 5:44 PM
It's got the basic dash. This was what Chevy called a VL (value line). AM radio and AT was just about the only options that I can see.

Sunday, August 28, 2011 10:32 PM
That interior is just unreal freaking great condition.I am at loss for what to do being a solid ride going to smoosh ville.

Monday, August 29, 2011 6:13 PM
Ron, The car won't be going to smooshville at least until spring of 2012 as I won't be able to strip it until then. I will strip almost anything that's not welded in and save it. A lot of the parts are interchangeable with my Convertible. Right now I have to concentrate on getting that motor into the convert and by then it will be time to mothball the convert for the winter.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 4:31 AM
Really glad to see one saved from the shredder!! Hard times and high scrap prices.... People around where I live are hauling everything they can get to the scrap yard. They are even going back in the mountains, and cleaning out old junk piles that been laying around for decades. Saddest thing is unless it's a muscle car, no one seems to see any value in it other than a srcap check. :-(

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 9:12 PM
What u asking for the seats?
Saturday, September 10, 2011 8:56 PM
I would like to share a few things about 1st gen seats I've learned. 2 door seats and 4 door seats can be interchanged with a little work. The brackets that mount seat back to seat bottom are different between the 2, but can be swapped as needed. As expected, the only difference is that 4 door seats are rigid, and 2 door seats fold forward to allow entry/exit from the rear seat. Those brackets are on the outboard side of the seat, where the lever is that you pull up on that reclines the back. You will also need to swap the plastic trim over that bracket too, so save the old ones when you make swap.The bottom brackets that mount the seat bottom to the floor are designed to shift the seat 1 1/2" toward the center of the car. I've seen several of the drivers side bottom seat mounts break at the back on the inside ...seems to be a weak spot there. You can, in fact, mount the entire passenger seat with its bottom bracket on the drivers side, it will shift the seat 1 1/2" to the outboard side, and have the reclining lever on the inboard side. The door will shut tho, and the sitting position isn't too difficult. Power seats were on Olds, Buick, and Caddy J-Bodies. They will bolt right onto your Chevy & Pontiac models. The power systems have a height adjustment which is very useful!! Just need a hot and ground to hook up to the power unit under the seat. One interesting thing of the power seats , is that they have a 1/2" plastic shim between the power bracket and the seat base. This makes the bolts that mount the power base longer than their standard non power counterparts. And yes, you can take your stock seats out, unbolt the non power bottom seat brackets, and bolt up power seat units on your old seats. There is a small metal bracket that holds the plastic trim ( this is what the power switches are screwed into) you will need drill a couple of holes in your stock seats to screw the sheet metal screws in to hold that small metal bracket. You will notice the factory punched indentations to drill the holes at on the non power sear bottoms, the are hidden under the material, but in the same place. I have not run into any power seats on the passenger side, only the drivers side.
I know this may be a bit confusing, but if you have the seats out and look at it for a few minutes you'll see what I'm talking bout. Hope this information is useful to someone out there. Just wanted to give a little back:-)

Sunday, September 11, 2011 5:11 PM
I just finished the seat swap in my 84 Pontiac. Donor seats came out of 1985 Oldsmobile Firenza 4 Door. Ran into a mess with the rear seats.....something I wasn't expecting. Turns out that the rear seat back and cushion are wider in the 4 door than the 2 door. I had finally , actually cut the reinforcement rods on the sides of both out with a dremel tool. Also had to cut out more of the bottom metal straps on the bottom of the seat back to allow the seat belt bolts to access the their threaded anchors. I'd say I extended the factory holes about an extra inch upwards. Seems the seat back is a bit taller too, but I managed to massage it in place and catch the 3 fingers on the back that catch the reinforcement rods and hold it in place. You really have to cut on the seat cushion because that thing will bow up in the middle when you just try to muscle in in!! When I did the rod cuts, I just removed them and left everything else intact, the foam will squeeze and make a nice snug fit. Hope this helps someone out there!! :-)

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 12:20 PM
John: I am looking for the weatherstrips that tops off the inside door panel and wipes the windows as they ascend/descend inside the door panel. The rubber on mine has rotted away with the Florida sun and although I have the metal fitting, no one seems to sell the weather strip. I'm restoring this Chevy Cavalier RS Convertible and I have had the interior redone. The rotted piece measures 37.25" and approximately 1.25" wide. One side has a felt feel to it and the other is like windshield wiper rubber with at 30 degree angle half way through its width. It looks like your sedan has those parts.

Thanks
Wednesday, October 05, 2011 1:48 PM
I can help you a little bit here. Ran into the same trouble but on the outside strip.
Here is a link to JC Whitney you can order the piece you need. Remember to get one for each window you want to fix.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/inner-and-outer-belt-weatherstripping-universal/p2008570.jcwx

I think the one I ordered for the outside strip was #42

Here is a few picts:

This is a typical bad strip, cracked as on the rear drivers side of my wagon.

And here is the repaired strip on the drivers front door.

...and here is a couple shots of the left over piece from what I recieved and used.

This is important!! You have to take out the old strip, and use a dremel tool to remove all the old rubber off the stock frame that came off your door. Then you have to rivet this piece to the old frame. I used steel rivets to minimize aluminum to steel corrosion. This is messy , time consuming, but so rewarding when you Get R Done. Also, you'll have to remove the window glass to get that outer stripping out. To remove the window glass, you have to drill out a couple of aluminum rivets that hold the glass to the regulator. There are 2 plastic bushings that help attach the glass to the regulator glide, please be very careful removing those, you'll only find them at the junkyard , and have to repeat the process to get them!! You can use bolts& nuts to reattach in place of those aluminum rivets.
I know you are looking for the inside piece, and that is just attached to the door panel, you'll have to try and match up what you need from that JC Whitney website, I haven't done the inside one yet. Sorry, I don't have any picts of the repair, did this years ago.

Hope this helps you out some!! :-)

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 6:34 PM
Carl,
It does have them, but they are not long enough. I wanted to use them on mine but they won' t work as the convertible has a much longer door.

John

Thursday, October 06, 2011 4:28 AM
You got me to thinking John 'bout the length. The strip you will replace is only the length of the door window itself, not the length of the whole piece of the trim. I measured the window on my coupe and it was shorter than the 48" weatherstrip you get from JCW. I'm not familiar with the Convertible and you might be referring to something else tho.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 7:59 PM
What would you ask for the front header panel? No acc, (grille, trim, lights, etc.) Not worried about shipping just yet...
Wednesday, October 12, 2011 5:01 AM
I think we need to remember John wanted to sell interior parts. Some of us...myself included , have been asking about the exterior parts.

John might be saving those for his convertibles :-)

Thursday, October 13, 2011 3:21 PM
Xavier, Orlen is right I do want to save the front clip and rear bumper and trunk lid (Hopefully never need them). Try this guy in Rhode Island hea has a mostly complete Black 1986 RS convert just like yours and I think the interior is brown. Link = http://providence.craigslist.org/pts/2611319756.html

These are mine

Friday, October 28, 2011 8:53 AM
I took your advice and got one of the strips from JC Whitney. It looks like once I have scraped off the rubber from the metal panel top, it should work. I'll let you know the outcome. I do need the outside ones as well. Have to look at options there.

Thank you
Thursday, February 07, 2013 3:54 PM
I need a rear seat and rear seat belts for my coupe. Do you know if the coupe is the same as the sedan? From the picture it looks like it might be slightly different, but might work anyway if the mounting brackets are the same, unless the sedan seat is wider. Maybe you could compare it to your convertible, I think that might be the same as the coupe. How much do you want for it? I'm in Wisconsin, can you get a shipping quote?
Thursday, February 07, 2013 4:36 PM
O shoot, it's 2013, not 2012. Did you already scrap it?

Thursday, February 07, 2013 5:46 PM
The rear seats are wider in a Sedan than in a Coupe since the Sedan has the doors back there. I successfully put a sedan back seat in my coupe but it involved cutting some of the reinforcing rods inside the seat foam cushion and modifying the holes at the back that the bolts go in. Even then it took a good bit of finessing to get it in place. That seatback is wider and had to be severely muscled into place!

Lots and lots of differences in the J's as you dig in deep!!

Saturday, February 09, 2013 8:05 AM
I still have the car ( It is stored about 20 miles from my house). And the seats look exactly as they did in the picture. I know that the sedan rear seats are wider than a coupe and the coupe rear seats are wider than a convertible. The interior in that car is in great shape as it only had 53K on it when I pulled the motor. The only thing is maybe the tweed is a little dry. If you want any parts PM me and we can work out a deal. Although the car just got buried under about 30 inches of snow today from the blizzard.

Saturday, February 09, 2013 10:36 AM
I was thinking about you and your family during this storm. Hope everyone is OK. Saw some crazy snow photos on Weather.com!!

Hope all up North gets dug out and melted off soon!!

Saturday, February 09, 2013 1:01 PM
Thanks, I'll keep looking for now. I'd rather not stuff the wrong seat in there if I don't have to.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search