Anyone ever adjust shifter cables (5 spd Manual) on a 1984 Cav. - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Anyone ever adjust shifter cables (5 spd Manual) on a 1984 Cav.
Tuesday, September 20, 2011 6:48 PM
Got the swapped motor started today and it kinda runs like crap but I hope it will just be a little tweaking. I did not drive it as I still need to put the wheels back on. It was the end of the day and the factory shifter adjustment procedure looks like a PITA. Is there a quick and easy way or just follow the book. I never liked following the book. Any help appreciated!

Re: Anyone ever adjust shifter cables (5 spd Manual) on a 1984 Cav.
Tuesday, September 20, 2011 9:16 PM
Never touched my shift cables on my 4 spd.I would just follow the book on unless someone else chimes in.It probably will take some time to get it adjusted and DO this when your not rushed,and just take your time.The old chiltons I have is pretty clear on it,plus a nice black/white pic .Good luck and getting it tuned may take some time,obviously.Heck I might even suggest some new plugs,wires,tune up stuff,to help ease the pain.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 6:09 AM
I have a chiltons and didn't look at that, I was looking at the GM book. The Chiltons is usually a little easier to follow and I'll look at it tonight. I do have tune up parts for it though, but it ran like new when it was in the donor car and I didn't want to introduce any problems into it before I got it running. I was happy that it ran after all it has been through and nothing appeared to be leaking.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:14 PM
That makes sense too me.Just double check your vac lines,and a touch of tweaking later.Still cool you got all that squared away from one ride to another!

Thursday, September 22, 2011 7:56 PM
lookin good under the hood.

The only cables I have adjusted on mine are for the reverse lights so can't help on this one.

Sorry.

Sunday, September 25, 2011 9:59 AM
If you have any issues with missing or bad rubber shifter bushings...let me know. The OEM ones are obsolete and only come with new shift cables, which are also hard to find. I found a place online that sells nice urethane ones that you can press on and they're great. They have a set for GM applications on the bottom of the order page. Just did this on my brother's Oldsmobile SCX and it made restored the shifting 100%.

http://www.boogerracing.com/boogerbushings.html

Looks good under there...and I'm really geeking out over the 2.0 Liter Fuel Injection stamp on your air cleaner. Is that original? Is it a decal or is it stamped into the lid? If you have a moment, I'd love a close-up pic of it. I've never seen one like that and its really sharp

Sunday, September 25, 2011 4:25 PM
Hey Daryl-

SCX is kinda rare now, heck they were rare back in the day. Anything new on the Blue J?

Sunday, September 25, 2011 6:29 PM
Daryl,
Those replacement shifter cable bushings are exactly what I need as mine are shot. Thanks for the info on them. I was checking around for new cables and worried that If I didn't adjust them correctly I might break one. The air cleaner cover is a plastic cover that snaps over the stock steel cleaner cover. I found this in the trunk of the donor 53k mile sedan that I pulled the motor out of (that car was bone stock original and always was serviced at a local Chevy dealer). I also have never seen one and just assumed that all the 84's came with them and mine got lost before I bought it in 86.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search