More Pics of my Wagon - Page 2 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: More Pics of my Wagon
Monday, April 02, 2012 4:38 AM
Orlen Brown wrote:Fully agree with you!!

These models are about as dependable as American made ever got. Treat these machines with respect, and they will give you many miles of smiles!!
I'm truely not trying to stir up a pot, but it seems Ford can't make a dependable automatic transmission, and folks seem to have so many problems with Chrysler products in every area. I'm not a die hard GM nut, but they do just seem to be just better during this time frame. Everything currently made is so ridiculously complex & costly. I had a buddy tell me a timing chain&tensioner set for a newer Ford F150 (DOHC V-8) cost $930 from Napa!! The chain for that thing is 6 ft. long!!...oh yeah, you have to lift the cab off to get to the engine too. For God sakes, don't be off one tooth because you have to replace that cab before you restart...off 1 tooth, and you've bent valves.
You just can't beat a dumb ole pushrod engine. Non interference. Iron block Iron head. No airbag in the steering wheel to break your fingers when it blows. It takes a serious issue to flash a CEL. So they aren't the safest, they aren't the fastest. I know I'll get there, though, and be getting back. And like you mentioned, I'm always pleasantly surprised when I need to buy parts.
I'm glad to hear you'll be driving& enjoying your wagon Michael!! :-) .

Yeah newer cars are just crazy complex and all the plastic covers are absolutely annoying. I told my wife if she gets a car newer than our '02 Saturn don't expect me to try to fix anything on it. My brother in law got a '03 or 04 Chrysler concorde and he popped the hood & I about fainted from seeing how the engine was shoehorned in there. You can't even change the belt from the top and the battery was located in front of the front tire under a bunch of crap. If I was him I would've just kept the mid 90's Caprice he had, parts are a dime a dozen and it was easy to work on.

Thursday, April 05, 2012 6:05 PM
I found an NOS set of Ventshade Vent Visors on Ebay last week and installed them on the Wagon today:

I wasn't sure that these were even available for a car this old !
They fit like a glove !

~ Mike ~

Thursday, April 05, 2012 8:06 PM
Well they compliment the car and vent visors are so common you would be suprised how many applications are still available.Nice to have keep water out with window cracked open,have had some on my truck for years replacing a set on it couple yrs ago due to worn and not sticking and just faded.Nice add on.And I am checking on your shpg cost and have the strut bar packed!It will be next wk before I can ship fedex ground and will PM you with specifics.

Monday, April 16, 2012 7:18 PM
Finally steamed all of the oil from the leaky valve cover off of the engine and gave it a bath and a detail for the first time:

Note in the engine compartment photo the addition of the strut brace that Ron sold me. Thanks, Ron !

~ Mike ~

Monday, April 16, 2012 8:06 PM
Well it looks nice and pretty all shined up.And the bar I see you now have works with it!Great pics now I hope to be getting some more parts to the buyers soon.Wayne is coming to get his donor doors this wkend and hope to get johns pallet fixed and get a quote to LTL his doors so I can focus on my cav work slated.

Thursday, April 19, 2012 6:32 PM
Michael,
That engine bay looks real nice. I wish mine was that clean.
How did you make out with the high idle problem?

Thursday, April 19, 2012 7:27 PM
John Masson (84conv) wrote:Michael,
That engine bay looks real nice. I wish mine was that clean.
How did you make out with the high idle problem?

Well John,
I checked the map sensor, and it was not testing right, so I changed it out and I also removed the IAC valve and cleaned the carbon out of it and reinstalled it. The idle is better (smoother & doesn't hunt at all), but it's still about 100 rpms higher than I'd like it to be, so I purchased a new IAC valve from Rock Auto. I imagine that will fix the problem.
Also, when I purchased the Wagon, my daughter saw it and named it "Swaggin". I guess it's a teenage thing, so considering that she'll drive it from time to time, I purchased and installed a custom-made vinyl emblen for the rear window:

I know, it's kinda goofy, but my daughter and her friends absolutely love it, and that's good enough for me !

~ Mike ~

Friday, April 20, 2012 9:15 PM
great looking wagon. thanks for that rim site by the way. people mentioned the cost for cav rims but my trans am/ grand national rims are the same price. looks like i will be getting a treat for my zr2 blazer this summer.

Keep up the good work.

Saturday, April 21, 2012 9:22 PM
I am pretty sure michael u have seen my engine but,heck here is one for compare minus the yellow same stuff.I need a bigger pic of it so maybe next wk I will add some fresh pics.Still that wagon is tight looking.Plus I need to put MY front bar on just need to clean and paint before hand.Btw did u paint the one I sent or just snap in place.

Sunday, April 22, 2012 6:47 PM
Ron Love wrote: I am pretty sure michael u have seen my engine but,heck here is one for compare minus the yellow same stuff.I need a bigger pic of it so maybe next wk I will add some fresh pics.Still that wagon is tight looking.Plus I need to put MY front bar on just need to clean and paint before hand.Btw did u paint the one I sent or just snap in place.

I was going to bead blast it and paint it with ceramic caliper paint, but it was in such good shape, I decided just to clean it, touch up a couple of the nicks that were on it, and install it.

~ Mike ~

Sunday, June 10, 2012 7:03 PM
Repaired the sagging headliner this weekend & installed the LeBra front end cover for the first time in anticipation of my vacation that starts on Friday. I didn't care for the dark blue velour original headliner, so I opted for a light grey fabric. Man, was that old foam a bear to get off of the Styrofoam backing ! The bra hasn't seen any sun yet (thus, the wrinkles), but as tight as it went on, I'm sure it's going to smooth out quite nicely !

I like the results !

~ Mike ~

Sunday, June 10, 2012 7:06 PM
I would love to put together a Turbo GT wagon! That would be a great DD/grocery getter.

Tony
1987 Sunbird GT turbo convert
Ported intake, Fiero 53 MM TB, 52 lb inj, ported and flowed head, tube header, Mitsu TD06, ARP rod
bolts/head studs, adj cam sprocket, 4" x 12" x 31" FMIC, Paxton AFPR, modified 125 trans/LSD
unit/3.42's, custom chip tuning, Alky Control Methanol injection
13.61 ET at 101.44 mph, 262 WHP/350WTQ

2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP roadster, 2.0 turbo w/GMPP exh, CAI and turbo upgrade, 290 hp/325 ft lbs

1969 Olds 442 convert
400 Eng, 200-4R trans, 3.73 posi, power everything, OAI

Sunday, June 10, 2012 7:27 PM
I'm loving the progress on this....

http://www.autotalk.com/pictures/data/1536/medium/2005_Chevrolet_Cavalier_Xtreme_002_autotalk_com_.jpg
Sunday, June 10, 2012 9:42 PM
Looks pretty good on both upgrades.That front cover will stretch once the sun bakes it some and remove it IF you know it is going to rain! I have to take my wifes off her car every wk or rain rolling in so no moisture stays on the paint.Great work on the headliner mine was done yrs ago and still pretty flush and foamy tight fit if that makes sense.Def tired after working today

Thursday, June 28, 2012 12:10 PM
That's one of the best looking wagons I've ever seen. Kudos on the great work! Cheers...

Thursday, June 28, 2012 6:32 PM
Great Looking Wagon! The headliner and STB look fantastic!

Tony - DO THE TURBO WAGON

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search