Like New Trim - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Like New Trim
Tuesday, March 13, 2012 5:17 PM
I got two painted rocker moldings to experiment with. The one on the right was painted and it now looks like new except for the three dings. These are 100% better than the ones I now have on the brown Cav. If anyone is interested I used paint stripper to remove the paint. Then I used a three step buffer wheel that I got at Home Depot to polish them. Next step was metal polishing cream from Walmart and used this MULTIPLE times and finally wax. I am going to try this with some painted wheel moldings next.

Re: Like New Trim
Tuesday, March 13, 2012 7:00 PM
Thanks John!! :-)

I had a bent piece of chrome trim on my poor old Pontiac. The only matching piece I could find at my local yard was the same -Black. I got it anyways, hoping someday I might be able to do what you've just done! Now, thanks to you , I know it can be done!! I bet that polishing you are speaking of would be the bomb on old faded trim too! Think you came upon a Great Idea here!!

Maybe you can post a couple of picts of your methods!! :-)

Also it looks like you are well on your way to fixing that miss in your V-6!
I'm so glad you are having some good luck with your projects!! :-)

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 7:16 PM
I tried it on a non painted junkyard rocker molding and the final result was not nearly as good as the painted ones. It can be done with a bench grinder with polishing wheels attached; I only used a Ryobi cordless drill with the wheels. I think the paint actually protects the metal from pitting and fading, so you really start with a pretty smooth surface once the paint has been removed and this makes it much easier to achieve the nice polished finish.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 8:00 PM
Those turned out pretty sweet.I know mine on sunny are black so no buffing.And the spares I have always have potential if I ever need them as you know already.Great work john.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 8:24 AM
I have some chrome ones from the Hawk I can give away once I get my Z doors on.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search