2.0 IAC valve - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.0 IAC valve
Thursday, April 12, 2012 6:27 PM
Does anybody know the socket or wrench size for the IAC valve on my 1985 Wagon's 2.0 liter engine?
The idle is elevated, and I can find no vacuum leaks, so I figure the IAC valve is carboned up.
If anything else is possible, input would be appreciated.

~ Mike ~

Re: 2.0 IAC valve
Thursday, April 12, 2012 7:29 PM
Had a problem with my 84 2.0 w/ manual 5 spd about 20 years ago. The idle would surge up and down, it turned out to be the oxygen sensor.

Thursday, April 12, 2012 7:41 PM
Checked my spare tbi unit with IAC intach and 18mm fit neck of part.I might even suggest checking the map sensor on the firewall one vac line,three terminal plug.This might cause it and I have a post here on first gen on how to check it with a multimeter and some jumper wires.I will have to search it and try and link the post here.Plus more tips on checking the tps and etc.

Thursday, April 12, 2012 8:15 PM
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=28&i=11739&t=11739 Read down some for checking map sensor and also this site http://www.wellsve.com has some more info for checking sensors of all kinds and suggest clicking on the counterpoint newsletter lower right and go back to like the 2003/2004 time frame has alot of OBD1 stuff.You may just have to navigate it some to get used to it.Hope this stuff gives some better insight on the how to's

Monday, May 21, 2012 5:36 PM
I tuned up the car last weekend. (new Bosch Platinum plugs, AC Delco wires, Standard blue dist cap & rotor, Delphi IAC valve, AC Delco TPS, new Valvoline Max Life tranny fluid and WIX filter, Valvoline Max Life engine oil and Purolator oil filter, Stant thermostat, and Wix air filter - not to mention, new Strong Arm hatch struts & Bosch wiper blades) ! I just LOVE Rock Auto Parts !
Anyway, when I fired up the car after I tuned it up, the car revved up & stayed like it was at a high idle (about 1300 RPMs) ! I figured the problem was the new IAC valve, & upon removing it, I found it wasn't adjustable like the original, so I cleaned the one that was previously on it (I don't think it was original because it looked too new) adjusted it a few times and I think I've finally got the idle where I want it ( steady, not too high, or not struggling to idle). I don't have a tach installed on the car, but I think it's idling around 800 to 900 RPM when warmed up and in gear.
I guess the next things on the agenda are pulling down the headliner, re-felting it and tinting the rear windows..

~ Mike ~

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 5:58 AM
Mike when you change an iac valve you should take the car for a ride I believe if memory serves correctly above 35 mph for 10-15 minutes so the the iac can "learn " where to set it self . I just changed mine a month or so back and needed to do this and now all is fine .On another note Rock auto parts is great , There is a site called discount autopartshub.com that if you have the original part number it will list all dealers that have the parts still sitting on the shelf and they sell for i believe 60 -75 percent off the original price you do need to sign up and they give a password /log on but is well worth it i have bought many parts during my restore real cheap body and engine 1 believe i payed around 25 dollars for the ac/delco iac .Good luck
k923

[IMG]
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search