Food for thought for my retro turbo brothers... - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Food for thought for my retro turbo brothers...
Wednesday, April 25, 2012 9:01 PM
Monday morning on my way to work I pulled onto the highway and decided to let the little 1.8 stretch it's legs. About the time I pulled 4th gear, thick white steam that smelled like coolant came pouring from the right side hood vent. I proceded to pull over to see what hose just let loose and then it happened.... As a fire captain I smelled something very familliar as the passenger compartment filled with smoke. I jumped out and opened the hood to reveal the ugly orange head of the beast. Holy crap, my bird is on fire! Luckily I carry an ABC extinguisher in the trunk so I made quick work of it. The car started up so I cut the hood pad out and limped it the mile and a half back home. That night I replaced a few vac lines, and the upper rad hose which was only a few months old but managed to have a pinhole on the bottom spraying coolant on the hot turbo wrap which became saturated, causing the fire. I'm now working with a local fabrication shop to develop a shield to go under the hose in case this was to happen again. I'm begging you guys, please check your hoses regularly. Mine was months old and failed. There's not too many of these valuable pieces of American automotive history left and mine was almost taken away.

Straight ethylene glycol has an auto-ignition temp of 240 degrees f. When mixed with water as in automotive coolant, it raises the auto-ignition temp to 650 degrees f. Much higher but definitly low enough for a hard working turbo to ignite. Just food for thought because I've ran hundreds of car fires and never once considered the flammability of coolant.

Re: Food for thought for my retro turbo brothers...
Thursday, April 26, 2012 4:21 AM
I don't have a turbo Ernie, but really intrigued by the read!! First thought to come to my mind was the fact that a LOT of vehicles are rolling off the lines these days with at least one turbo (some have 2)! Something to remember if you have an accident involving one them.
Thank you for your story & kind words of wise advice!!

Thursday, April 26, 2012 6:21 PM
Thanks for the advice - will check.

BTW - lmk if you find a source for a replacement hood pad.

Thursday, April 26, 2012 8:00 PM
Sound info for sure.And I know when I did my engines resto paint work I replaced all my hoses,zip tied,loomed or secured everything with clamps so no rubbing or affects from heat melt.So I guess I had a advantage to do it right to ensure not having a issue like yours.I also took things a step further on my starter(on wiring on my 2.0 ohv it is right at the exhaust man) I route my wiring further away from it and used a copper bar to keep the heat away from it.Anyway I could go on but,just pointing out the steps I took on this long restore of paint on the block and reinstalling it neat and protected.I carry a fire exting myself in my cav,and pickup yet to get one for the new car.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search