Hey new member here - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Hey new member here
Monday, May 07, 2012 11:43 PM
Hey guys. After watching this site for awhile now I finally made an account after not being able to get onto v6z24. I've always liked the j-body cars so last summer I picked up a 89 z24 convertible as my first car(I'll get pictures soon). I also really wanted a first gen so after months and months of searching I found this. It's more of a project car it needs work but you sure don't see these everyday

It's an 87 Skyhawk Sport Hatch with the 2.0L
The body is rough but I hope to get the whole car fixed up. The car was sitting since 2000 before I got it and doesn't run right now. We put a new battery and gas in and it ran for a few seconds then died. The engine isn't getting fuel so we'll have to check out the problem on the weekend. Here are some pictures of it

What do you guys think of it?

Re: Hey new member here
Monday, May 07, 2012 11:52 PM
Looks good. we dont see many other jbodies other than cavalier,sunbirds and sunfires....But welcome!

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 9:53 AM
SWEET Hatch!

Welcome!

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 1:14 PM
finally another Hawk--I'm not alone!

Unless Motorman checks back in with all of his...
Tuesday, May 08, 2012 6:04 PM
Hey Wayne.... and now we are three !

Looks like a nice example to me. Needs some work, but hell, so do I :> Welcome to the "expanding" Buick group on j-bods

Alan
Tuesday, May 08, 2012 6:07 PM
Welcome to J-Body, Holden K

WOW!! I'm impressed!!

I didn't even know any 'Hawks came with pop-lights. All the 'Birds with pop-lights had the turbo. Does this one have a turbo too?

So you found a Buick -J. Not any Buick-J , but a Hatch. Not any ole Hatch, but one with Pop-Lights. Not any ole Buick Hatch w/Pop-Lights, but one with a 5 -Speed and the Optional IC!!

D^YUM!!

You must be either Stupid L u c k y !! Or more probably one helluva smart shopper!!

All I can say is you found a very special J to save from the trip to China!! You deserve a BIG pat on the back
Holden!! Enjoy your project hatch & 'vert!! Keep the photos a comin' !!

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 6:56 PM
Welcome to First Gen - Nice car and it has all the right options, right down to the color.

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 7:35 PM
Great find- looks like a solid base. I love the Skyhawk hatches.

Nice that you got the optional rear spoiler and the full (not partial) gauges. 4 speed or 5? Don't recall if your engine choice dictated that or not, as the 1.8 OHC was available too.

The hatch was in production only a couple of years- Buick had a sedan, 2 door, and wagon since the early '80s, but the hatch was an '85-'87 run only- rare birds indeed. All hatches had the pop up headlights.

Hey,once you get her running and top priority stuff done, for down the road- if you want to go for the stock look for the radio, I found a guy on ebay some years back who reconditions factory radios. I purchased from him a Delco CD/5 band equalizer unit originally in a GMC Syclone. Being GMC, the buttons and knobs had a "Chevy' look to them that matched my Z24 dash controls. He has a tremendous stock and has Buick units as well .

I have no affiliation w/ him- I just liked his products and service.
Link to his ebay stuff:
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/merchant/factoryradios

Welcome to the board, and best of luck w/ the 'Hawk!

(Quoting a past member)-"Never underestimate a First Gen"
Tuesday, May 08, 2012 7:40 PM
Welcome to the forum.If you need some skyhawk parts there is a 82 coupe in my pull a part untouched as of last wk.So I have pics in my post about the pull a part yards go there to see it.Kinda neat seeing something well we just do not see literally.It needs work but,all of are in that boat on one level of need anyway.Cool find,as for your no fuel issue I would bet money your fuel pump is toast,and dropping the tank and go new sender and filter and clean out the inside of the tank with a product like evapo-rust sold like at oreillys in a gallon container.It sitting so long just gooks up the fuel and blowing out the fuel lines and clean the tbi are a good idea.I could get carried away but just some tips.If you can spray starting fluid in the tbi and runs points to pump with ur conditions of car.Not saying it is otherwise like pump relay,but as said sitting kills it.

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 9:06 PM
Thanks everybody

I know this is a pretty rare car, that's why I couldn't believe it when I found this. I must be crazy lucky or something. I've never seen another Skyhawk with the pop up headlights before. Everybody I know thinks I'm crazy for trying to save this old car

Just some more info on it
It's the 2.0L unfortunately non-turbo
5 speed
Can't remember the exact mileage somewhere around 180,000 km
Rust has completely taken over the doors there's nothing left of them and the rear quarters need attention soon. It doesn't look to bad in the pictures right now but I'll be able to get some more on the weekend.

@ John
Yeah I will check that out. I plan on keeping the car as stock as possible. I can't stand aftermarket things. I actually do have the original cassette player for it but its just the basic one. I was looking for the one with all the equalizers on it. People around my age (16-17) wonder why I don't want to put a cd player in my cars

@ Ron
I seen your post about that '82 and there's a few things I wouldn't mind. The thing is I have no clue how to use paypal and how to ship the items back. How does it work? And about that problem I was already told its probably the fuel pump but I don't know everything about cars so I'll have to get some help with that one
Wednesday, May 09, 2012 9:12 AM
Holden K-

I put my radio back to stock (had it repaired by the same guy John mentioned) and play MP3s through a FM Modulator that plugs into the cigarette lighter on my car.

Keep it stock, but have your MP3s come through the stock system...

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 1:25 PM
Good to see motorman is still watching...

There were coupes as well with the hidden headlights. I don't think they pop up, but the cover slides back. I think this became the standard nose in 1988-89 or even 1987-88.
Wednesday, May 09, 2012 3:42 PM
Apparently these were also available on the sedan as well from a google search
And yeah technically they aren't pop up's. The cover flips and slides under the lights

Thursday, May 10, 2012 1:13 PM
I don't know for sure, but my opinion is that someone put that nose on the sedan. I've never seen that anywhere but in that exact picture.

There was a very similar nose with exposed headlights, and I believe that is the stock sedan version of this nose.
Friday, May 11, 2012 5:38 PM
The hidden headlight f/ends on Buick Hawks were the JS77 option. Holden, the option was available on all Hawks, even the wagons. Just think of it a being similar to Chevies SS option. It could be ordered up on any model Chevy that offered the trim package, even 6 cylinder powerglide vehicles.

In 1987 3,757 Sport Hatchbacks were produced. Of that number only 5 were turbo cars, the rest injected. Buick by their own admission were luxury vehicles, and were normally optioned out with the TH automatic. Indeed your 5 speed is a rare Hawk, and must have been optioned/ordered from the dealer that way.

Buick hatches were made in the last 6 months of 1986, and the model year 1987..... ONLY ! Buicks hatches ceased being made, as were all of their turbo vehicles after 1987.

As for the look alike f/ends, normally they were the JS77 options, but the motors (electric-not vacuum) went bad, so they just removed the doors or rolled them back and locked them into position.

Again, nice car and welcome to the group !

Alan
Saturday, May 12, 2012 8:41 AM
Well, Holden, there is no doubt you have a very special J-Body!! What a wonderful choice to have saved from the crusher :-)

Seems like you've enlightened a whole bunch of us along the way too. I know I've sure have enjoyed this thread, and learned a lot along the way. This is the kind of things that make J-Body a joy to visit!!

Thank You for joining up, and sharing your prize!! You'll have to keep us informed of your progress with this little gem.

Who knows what other specials lay in wait out there.....somewhere, like that 1987 Pontiac Firebird Tojan I ran into on Ebay a week ago!!

For those curious:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987-Pontiac-Firebird-Tojan-/221015238615?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item337588e7d7

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search