Which part do I need?--Fan switch or temp sensor? - Page 2 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Which part do I need?--Fan switch or temp sensor?
Tuesday, July 03, 2012 8:03 PM
Purple and yellow wired one I believe, post a picture and I can tell you.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.

Sunday, August 05, 2012 5:56 AM
There are two temp. sensors. One is for the temp guage, the other is called a sensor/switch which goes to the fan and relay. TX-3, I believe and the sensor for the guage is a T-145 or 147. LMK and I'll look up the numbers if you need them
Jeff
Sunday, September 23, 2012 1:40 PM
Two of those things in the neck under the radiator cap, the one on the right is closer to the front of the car.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 12:31 PM
I bought my red GT from the "girl" vocalist in a family band called the Velvet Hammer----Pop on keyboards, son on guitar, mom on drums. I call them my Desert Partridge family. She had named the car Hottie, assuming it is a girl. For continuity, so as not to confuse the car, I will continue to call HIM "Hottie." (BTW, my e-mail is hunkybc@gmail.com--the "Hunky" refers to the derogatory term for Hungarians. So I may be mistaken for "Hottie and Hunky," but I can work with it!

I have not started him up in the three years I've had 'im, and am now ready. The story is that she was driving along and the car overheated. She stopped driving immediately and the radiator was replaced. The scenario happened all over again, and they reached the conclusion that the radiator was for a 4-cyl car, not a sixer. I have heard this from others. But Autozone shows only one choice for both engines. My plan is to replace those sensors y'all been talking about and the radiator if needed. Anyone got thots on the radiator issue? I can't have Hottie running hot. . . .

BC
Wednesday, September 26, 2012 8:33 PM
Idk if the radiator is the same for a 4 or 6 cyldr to be honest.I would have to check some other sources to see IF they all say the same or not.I would say if it is running hot a new thermostat,and coolant flush would be good,plus a NEW waterpump if the car has sat a longggg time.Unless the headgasket is a issue,milky oil or crud under the oil cap or goo in the over flow tank would indicate the headgasket as a problem.Could be also a blocked up heater core cutting flow.I will suggest using some lime away to flush the system (YES THIS IS SAFE) to use in place of a radiator flush product.Just drain,fill with water add 1 bottle of lime away run at idle,heat on ,fan high, for 15-20 min, over radiator cap off (helps with air pockets) and then drain,refill with water same steps, then drain for 2nd time.Now if really nasty refill water again same steps,drain and reaccess if clean then add coolant/mix with distilled water(better for cooling system) and warm up same time or less.Just speeding thru this but leaving the radiator cap OFF works better to alleviate air bubbles unless it bubbles over then cap it,and continue.Just some thoughts and I will check into seeing if the rad are the same or not but it very well could be based on my thoughts of seeing both in memory.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 11:18 PM
I do plan a flush, new coolant, water pump + belt and hoses (couldn't hurt doing it now and be done with it!). No water/oil mix evident. I could temporarily bypass the heater core to troubleshoot if it continues to overheat. I shall check other sources about the radiator. Thanks for your suggestions! BC
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search