Been Away - But Busy - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Been Away - But Busy
Saturday, September 22, 2012 4:08 PM
Hope everyone is doing well. Have had a few things going on with school startup, scouts, work, and believe it or not - a car project.

I pulled the head and decided I will be getting a lot of powder cote, replacing ps hoses, radiator hoses, plugs, wires, a coil, and anything else I can reach while the head is off. Will be looking at getting studs pressed in and a valve job and maild porting if there is anything they can do with the 1.8.

Here is a pic, at least the coolant is clean

Re: Been Away - But Busy
Sunday, September 23, 2012 3:58 PM
Paul,

Looks like you have been busy! And I see that you also have that black undercoating crap in your engine bay.

Sunday, September 23, 2012 7:07 PM
Since you're dealing with that exhaust manifold...

I found I am missing the stud/nut that goes on the manifold all the way to the left of the car (right of your engine picture). I can't seem to find what size this stud or nut is, and I can't find a replacement without buying the entire manifold.

Any idea what the size is? Can I just go to a hardware store and get that size and screw it in, or would that be something a little more car-specific?
Monday, September 24, 2012 1:25 PM
Yep - gotta love the ziebart undercoat. Stuff is sticky as hell.

Wayne, I have a stud off of mine. I was going to talk to a machine shop about getting it helicoiled so I can screw it back in. I will see if I can get a size for you on it. I bought them a few years ago so I am sure you can buy them separately.

Saturday, September 29, 2012 1:14 PM
That is a familiar sight. Looks like my engine bay 2 months ago. New head and a few add-ons.

Saturday, September 29, 2012 1:45 PM
I got it all back together and the block heater started leaking and had to pull the intake to fix it.

Sunday, September 30, 2012 7:07 PM
That stinks. My block heater hit the highway when I got the rebuild in 94 so one less thing to worry about...

Sunday, October 07, 2012 6:57 PM
Status Update - Head is in at the machine shop. There is a crack in it between the valves on one of the cylinders, but the shop guy said they all do this... The car was not losing any compression, just the coolant leak from what appeared to be a dying head gasket.

I will have an update later this week or next. Gonna order the ps lines and radiator hoses and drop the intake and ohc cover off for powder...

Sunday, October 07, 2012 7:19 PM
Reading with interest!!

I'm surprised a crack between the valves wouldn't bleed off compression....especially on a turbo. Can the machine shop repair a crack between cylinders?

I remember reading somewhere on one of your posts, that good Brazil head gaskets are very hard to come by, I imagine turbo head gaskets are even harder to keep intact.

Monday, October 08, 2012 2:39 PM
Ok, just got a call back today from the machine shop. They said the heads checked out with no problems and are decked and ready to go. Will pick up this week and get some studs. Wayne, did you just need 1 stud and nut combo?

Monday, October 08, 2012 8:09 PM
hells yeah! They have 'em?????!!!

Since I noticed that thing missing (and it may have always been missing), my theory is that I am letting much hot gasses escape instead of going through recirculation; and that is why my car acts like such a brat in the cold. I only noticed because I put pretty wire loom on the spark plug wires this spring, and they were melting off above this point of the manifold where I found the stud missing.

I hope I'm right about that so that when I get a stud in there to hold the manifold in place, the car will play nice this winter. My other guess is I need to replace the throttle body gasket.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:37 AM
Wayne-

I scored a stud/nut combo for ya.

Please send me a mail at paul.steepe@hp.com and we can cover details.

Friday, October 12, 2012 7:21 PM
Wayne - the stud and nut are on their way!

Sunday, October 14, 2012 6:47 PM
I scored the back lower radiator hose. Anyone know where to get the correct heater hoses and power steering lines?

Sunday, October 14, 2012 7:21 PM
I'm thinking either Napa or Fisher Auto Parts ought to be able to make custom hydraulic hoses. I'm pretty sure they can fix you up with the power steering lines, but you'll need to take yours off for them to measure up, of course.
Do they sell bends in different angles for heater hoses? If so you might be able to fab up the heater hoses with short straight standard hose and the bends as needed. Wouldn't hurt to check that pipe running over the starter while you are in the neighborhood. Just peace of mind it isn't rotting out.

I find myself wondering about the conditions of all that stuff on my 'bird as well. God knows how old all that stuff is....Never know when it'll decide to make for me a very bad day!!

J

Sunday, October 14, 2012 9:29 PM
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/1984-Pontiac-2000-Sunbird/Hose-Heater/_/N-ikektZaptcd See if this will work paul.I know when I did my intake gasket I got both my hoses formed and do not recall having to trim them.This is the first place I found one,I got irritated on the advance auto page(errrr).

Sunday, October 14, 2012 10:07 PM
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=NBH10836_0158817051 I think this is the same hose but linking so you can compare.Just some quick finds while I wind down from drvg all day.

Monday, October 15, 2012 5:20 AM
Orlen-

Thats the idea, I am replace the hoses I didn't replace when I had the head off 9 years ago Hard to believe I was at a decision point with the car then.

Ron - thanks for the links - I will look at the links. I was in the Advance store yesterday and they said they could not get them

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 2:53 PM
I dropped the parts off for powder cote today. The guy looked at the OHC valve cover and asked me what vehicle it was from. He then went back to a dark corner of the shop and produced a ceramic one that he did 20 years ago. He said he never knew what car it was from until now. I am sure it will be on eBay soon.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 6:50 PM
Paul , you not going to buy that ceramic valve cover?

I got some heater hose info for you......

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Result.aspx?Ntt%3dheater%2bhose%26Ntk%3dKeyword%26Nty%3d1%26N%3d599001%2b101984%2b50060%2b2060030

I also found a heater core today for models with A/C!! Here is the link if interested.....

http://www.jcwhitney.com/apdi-oe-replacement-heater-core/p3040092.jcwx?filterid=d50290y1984g2j1

J

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 6:07 AM
Thanks for the info Orlen. I am am getting mine done in pc silver so it looks stock. If you are interested in the ceramic one, I could probably get it for a good price. It looks like a ceramic coated header finish - almost a chrome.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 6:45 AM
Afraid I'll have to skip on it for mine. Although tempting, it just wouldn't look right on my poor old jalopy!!

J

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:53 AM
Aw c'mon Orlen!

It just takes one shiny part to start a whole restoration .

Imagine the look on people's faces when you raise that hood and BAM!!! Ceramic coated valve cover

I am going to see what he wants for it. I think I would have a better chance selling it than he would .

Thursday, October 18, 2012 4:22 PM
ROFLAO....Paul I already get some looks .

I can hear them now. Remember that scene from the movie "Cristine"

Look at him Pepper.....Look how COCKEYED he works......Shiny NEW valve cover , on top of a ticking cam. You know something Pepper.......you can't polish a TURD!! ROFLAO!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search