Been Away - But Busy - Page 2 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Been Away - But Busy
Friday, October 19, 2012 4:58 AM
Yep, brand new wipers on a busted windshield.

But boy did that car show them

Saturday, October 27, 2012 8:01 PM
ok, been back at it tonight. Cleaned the block, pulled the power steering return line (brittle beyond belief). Working on pulling the heater hoses - they are stuck on. The new lower hose is one and I started removing some undercote. The brakekleen works awesome. Not sure where I want to start or stop with that one...

Sunday, October 28, 2012 1:03 AM
I know when I started my intake manifold gasket job it went from that to repainting my whole block and loads more.Unintended plans but well worth the time back when I jumped on it,and has been several years and glad I did all the extra work back then.SO I can understand where to start and and umm what more can I do while I am here.

Sunday, October 28, 2012 11:57 AM
Yep, Paul. I remember having to simply cut those return PS hoses when at the salvage yard trying to get me a few Racks. Those hoses were incredibly hard!! Man I sure am glad I hit that yard as hard as I did before the owners son passed away, got a lot of treasured parts while I could!!

If ya got A/C on your 'Bird be very very careful fiddling with those heater hoses!! Lawd Knows where ya gonna find a core if it bends or breaks a pipe to the thing!!

Gonna put an update on my post regarding that wretched heater core. Short story is they are phantom parts - everyone say they got one till you try to add it to your cart - then they are outta stock!!

Guess the next stop for you after all this might be a new top like John has been doing!! Wow, has that man got it figured out or what!!

Glad you don't have to worry 'bout this crazy storm brewing this ways!!
Be glad when goes and takes the elections along with it!!

Sunday, October 28, 2012 5:40 PM
I found a piece of 7/16 bulk hose that looks like it will do it. Anyone happen to know if that is the right size? It is a little more loose than I would like, but my old one is really swollen.

Sunday, October 28, 2012 11:39 PM
One side is 3/4 and the other is 1/2 I believe. 3/4 for inlet and 1/2 for exit. I believe all jbodys are the same but I could be wrong. It's usually the same for most gm cars.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Tuesday, November 20, 2012 8:41 AM
The Intake manifold is back - what do you think?

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 8:50 AM
More work under the hood - freshened brackets and overflow tank piping:

And, the freshly decked head:

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 11:08 AM
the manifold looks great! i hope everything goes well with your rebuild. nice to see those turbos being kept alive!
Tuesday, November 20, 2012 12:05 PM
Great Results Paul!!

I thought you were painting the intake Red, that Black really stands out!!

I love photos!! I see the intake is where the port fuel injectors are fitted. I'm curious if there any difference in the Turbo'd head and non Turbo's heads since the CFI and PFI are not fitted in the heads? Perhaps since the Turbo engines have lower compression, the Turbo heads might allow for deeper opening of the valves.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 12:23 PM
Orlen-

The 84-86 1.8 turbos (LA5) had black "features" including intake manifold and charge pipe on the top. The red "features" started in 87 with the 2.0 turbo (LT3) and included the valve cover, charge pipe, and intake manifold. From what I remember, the blocks are different between turbo and non-turbo engines but not the heads. Head gaskets are different (as I recently found out).

I asked the guy who did the machine work and he said there was no benefit in doing any machine work to the "kidney shape" heads on the 1.8.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 4:01 PM
Quote:

The Intake manifold is back - what do you think?

Paul, That looks AWESOME! I wish my stock 2.0 valve cover and air cleaner came out that nice!

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 8:52 PM
That is kick @ss paul!!Love the end product.Been out for 2 days trucking my --- off and just got home today.So 1100 miles later tired,and just done.Nice goodies no question

Saturday, December 01, 2012 10:14 AM
Starting to go together this weekend. Have the intake manifold back on. Can't seem to find anything on the install of the water crossover that goes from the head to the t-stat housing. Any idea if the gasket goes on dry, or with some atv?

Saturday, December 01, 2012 3:01 PM
If this is the correct location, Paul I'm seeing signs of some sealer there. If this is the wrong area let me know and I'll root around some more on my old Bird for ya! :-)

I Love the internet!! Power to the People!!

Saturday, December 01, 2012 3:09 PM
Yeah, I prefer to run OHC's with those covers off, I like keeping an eye on the belt. Of course there are folks on both side of this fence :-)

Here is a looser shot if you need it Paul.

Sunday, December 02, 2012 8:45 AM
Thanks Orlen-

I have two connection points that I am concerned about. The crossover to the head and the crossover to the neck (that you show). I have a gasket for the latter that appears to have a rubberized part that may not require rtv. When it was together before, it was a 100% rtv seal.

For the crossover to the head, based on the residue on the old gasket, it appears that it is greased before assembly.

I could use one more pic of the front of the t-stat neck showing the 3 bolts if you could.

Thanks for your help!

Sunday, December 02, 2012 6:03 PM
The points you are talking about both were originally assembled with no sealer. The crossover is an O-Ring that is compressed and the crossover to T-stat housing uses a gasket with a silicone raised bead. But the smart thing is a thin coat of high-temp RTV on the surfaces of the gasket to lock it down after a good cleaning and wipe off with alcohol. I just did all this this summer! If you need any reference I can send you pics from mine.

Sunday, December 09, 2012 3:19 PM
Slow progress. Thoroughly cleaned the TB (It's a Holley) and reinstalled. Now looking at reinstalling the fuel rail lines and coil on the back of the intake manifold. I found a few more things to be refinished...

Monday, December 10, 2012 7:18 PM
"I found a few more things to be refinished..."

Keep enjoying the journey!! As long as you have projects to do it'll keep things interesting. I think the worst thing is to have everything "just right". Nothing left to tinker with usually means I gonna get bored. I really don't know how the folks with those A-1 show cars keep the interest alive!

Sunday, December 23, 2012 9:11 PM
*FINALLY* got around to ordering the PS pressure hose today. Murrays/O'Rielly said they had one and it never showed...

Hopefully the story from Advance has a better ending.

Sunday, December 23, 2012 10:13 PM
If you ever get this wonderful part snap a PIC before install! I am digging around the parts google world looking for some things for U.Tired so short it is paul.I hope you have a nice xmas and merry one at that buddy.R

Monday, December 24, 2012 8:27 AM
Hey Ron-

Definitely will snap a pic of the old and new side by side if/when it shows

Hopefully getting a few things for Christmas that will help the project along

Sunday, January 20, 2013 6:47 PM
Ron-

It did show and I was all excited. The bad part is it does not appear to be the right part for me. Mine is straight on the pump end and this one has a curve in it... One of you guys may be able to use it so I am hesitant to return it. I will post some pics when I can.

I did get a coil. I have to drill out the old one and get some mounting screws. I had to do this with my Camaro a couple of years back so I know the drill. I have been ill the last few days and it has been cold again so not much work outside.

Sunday, January 20, 2013 9:01 PM
Hope you feel better soon paul.I have done my coil back when I did my intake work and yeah drill out the original rivets and I used fine thread screws and nuts to hold mine tight.Granted with everything out the coil was cupcake to do being it was out of the car period.Now getting my distributor right was a pain getting the timing back and went oldschool to do that.Took plug out and put a flat head (long ) to crank to tdc on compression stroke to get it dialed in enuff to get it running.I could not mark my distributor bc I had painted the hold down brkt and no markings.On my car the distributor had to come out to get the intake off.So get better and it was about 60 here today and too bad I had to work.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search