1st Gen Convertible Top Replacement - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1st Gen Convertible Top Replacement
Saturday, May 19, 2012 5:15 PM
Amatuer

Re: 1st Gen Convertible Top Replacement
Saturday, May 19, 2012 5:46 PM
Amateur top replacement and it really was not that hard. I think that anyone on this site could handle it. I got a video from ebay that gave me step by step instructions for the 2nd gen Cavalier and it was well worth it. Just took my time and worked on it a total of about 16 hours. I repainted all the exposed top frames and used the old pads and rear window zipper ( If you replace the pads make up some wooden braces and screw them to the bows to keep the bows in the exact same place when replacing the pads). I did get a used Bea air powered upholstery stapler, but I think you could probably do it with a hand powered one. This is top number one and plan on doing the blue one later this summer. It was good practice for the blue one and I learned a lot. If you do it yourself just be careful when removing the old weatherstripping as mine was glued on with silicone in some places. I could have reused it, but I located a set of second gen (94) convertible top weatherstripping from a local salvage yard for $20.00. It is not perfect but hey neither is the rest of the car. Plus the next one won't have the same defects as the first one.

Saturday, May 19, 2012 6:46 PM
**S U P E R** - R E S U L T!!

Great color choice.

The BEST part is you did it Yourself, and not some outta luck teenager that lost his girlfiend yesterday - so you know you got it RIGHT!! If memory serves, ....last year you weren't quite so sure if you were going to fix this lil gem up or not. I'm so glad you saved this one from a trip to China!! I'd definately say you're ready for the blue one anytime John.

You take super good care of the J's you pick! I tip my hat!

Saturday, May 19, 2012 9:40 PM
That def looks pretty da!! good john! Nice color and it should last being you keep it stored up out of the crap outdoors dishes out.Sweet newness to old ride

Monday, May 21, 2012 9:45 AM
WOW - You may have inspired me to do the same...

That is what my car needs...

Monday, May 21, 2012 11:51 AM
Paul if you do, GET the how to video from this guy. link = . http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cavalier-Sunbird-Convertible-Top-And-Vinyl-Window-88-91-/130690876950?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1988%7CModel%3ACavalier&hash=item1e6dc88 616&vxp=mtr . He used to have the video for sale separately and he only has the video for gen 2. The only thing I would do differently is put the belt molding on and scribe marks with a pen all the way around the top and then remove the moldings and trim the excess. As you can see in the 5th picture down my trim was not exactly neat and I had to remove the molding to re cut the excess anyway.

Monday, May 21, 2012 5:09 PM
Well done, John !
It looks great !

~ Mike ~

Monday, May 21, 2012 7:02 PM
Great job on the top! I'll bet it makes all the difference up close...and when it rains! How hard was it to pop off the trim on the sides (with the button snaps)? Did you have to remove that to 'tuck' the top underneath?
Tuesday, May 22, 2012 6:07 PM
Those have to come off so the top can be stapled to the tack strip. There are about 10 9mm nuts inside trunk and 2 more that are accessible from inside the car with the well liner lifted up.

Cavalier 1st Gen Convertible Top Replacement
Monday, October 22, 2012 4:17 PM
Top number two completed this weekend. I Finally am not embarrassed to put the top up. It's only been falling apart for about 10 years now.

Re: Cavalier 1st Gen Convertible Top Replacement
Monday, October 22, 2012 5:01 PM
another one looking good!

Monday, October 22, 2012 5:57 PM
Well by golly they all said you just got lucky your first time around, but you went and showed 'em Real Good!!

LoL

Another ****SUPER**** - RESULT

Better be careful, you'll have everyone wanting you to fix theirs too. You'll be known far and wide as the J-Body 1st gen Soft Top GURU!!

Monday, October 22, 2012 11:05 PM
Nice stuff completed john.Looks 100% better and probably umm waterproof now.Cool to see it brand new and have real color and well new.WIN

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 4:57 AM
FANTASTIC!!!

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 6:11 PM
John you are going to have yourself a wonderful spring and summer next year!! Guess the hard part will be which one to drive today!!
You'll have to get a photo of both together and update you sig!!

Saturday, November 03, 2012 11:17 AM
Getting mine done soon. Dropping it off Sunday morning to get it started. Trying to devote time to doing my swap in my Fiero instead of doing the top myself. I'll get picks when I get the car back. Nice job by the way. The car looks great.
Saturday, November 03, 2012 4:04 PM
Paul, Good luck with your top.
My new top will have plenty of time to stretch as I just stuck it in cold storage for the winter.

Saturday, November 03, 2012 7:43 PM
Well at least it is out of the weather a + for covered.With the recent weather idk what winter will be like,hopefully warm here I hope.

Sunday, November 04, 2012 6:59 AM
. .***W O W***

Drools......now that is one helluva garage!!

If I had something like that, and plenty of money (dream dream dream) and a building like that I'd be too much like Jay Leno!!!

Are ya missing the Caddy yet?

Sunday, November 04, 2012 3:09 PM
WOW - What a garage!!!

Monday, November 05, 2012 5:48 PM
That's one of three garages that the guy owns and that is not a road, it's the driveway to the three 100 yard long barns/garages. The owner only lets people store boats and cars there when they are referred to him from someone he knows. Only problem is once cars are in they must stay until spring as they get snowed in. Last year I put both Cavs in there, but this year I kept the brown one at home. I'm hoping to have some time to replace the doors that I got from Ron and get the body ready for paint. I'm also on the hunt for a manual trans setup. From what I have been reading It looks like I should (easiest swap) go with a complete 2nd gen Cavalier as the brown Cav already has a 92 2.2L in it.

Picture of my old Eldorado and Cavalier from 2008 in the same barn.

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 3:24 PM
Paul94Z28 wrote:WOW - What a garage!!!

Holy crap!!!!!! That's not a garage.....it's a warehouse!
Tuesday, November 06, 2012 3:26 PM
Found out that my drainage tarp is rotted. Getting a new one in a few days. Will get pics up when I get the car back.
Thursday, November 22, 2012 3:36 PM
Look what I got back the other day!

Still don't know if I'm gonna keep this car. Been debating selling it for some time. Thought about shoving it in the garage and slowly work on it for my daughter.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search