Would your drive 1450 miles for an 87 cowl hood? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Would your drive 1450 miles for an 87 cowl hood?
Saturday, December 01, 2012 10:13 PM
I would...and did.. Met Josh Maloney in Indy- he drove near 5 hours to meet me, and I drive 10 1/2 hours. I was sweating if it would fit in the back of my wife's Mazda 5 minivan..I measured my '86 hood, and felt it would be close. Can you imagine if it did not fit once I got there?

Well. there was more room than I thought. All went well. No speeding tickets despite doing 80+ mph most of the way. Now to frankenstein the airbox....

THANKS JOSH!!!

(Quoting a past member)-"Never underestimate a First Gen"

Re: Would your drive 1450 miles for an 87 cowl hood?
Saturday, December 01, 2012 10:52 PM
Haha sweet! Can't wait to see it on your car.

I wish I was closer to all you guys. I'd love to help you all out with my leftover parts haha
Sunday, December 02, 2012 3:08 PM
Enjoy the parts!

Sunday, December 02, 2012 3:24 PM
I would! I was going to drive to North Carolina from Massachusetts to get a set of doors. But Ron Love was able to find a reasonably priced shipper that would deliver them to my office loading dock.

Thanks again, Ron

Sunday, December 02, 2012 5:55 PM
I did about 1000 miles to get my doors from Ron.

I have relatives about 100 miles from him, so I went there on Saturday and stayed overnight, then drove 600 miles to get home on Sunday (with the stop to get the doors).

It really sucked too, bad rain all the way, but sunny enough to make me wish I could put on my sunglasses, then route 81 is concrete, and there were plenty of white trucks on the road, so glaring was horrible the entire way.
Sunday, December 02, 2012 8:55 PM
Yeah shipping doors is not a problem.I know NOW who I can use to ship big items that fedex cannot do.I am working on another guy who ironically needs 1 door but in tenn.So cupcake for me to do and just getting the price of the door bc my local place got bought out,and they (cough) charge a core for freaking doors!SO wayne you lucked out bc this yard was the place I got your doors,johns came from the other yard no core charge ever.They told me 84.00 thurs for a day(ouch) but heck rust free and I will get it covered.I have way to much think time driving my big trk trying to plan what I can do or go get when I junkyard around.

Monday, December 03, 2012 4:59 AM
Yard parts are getting scary crazy. I guess rising scrap values are a good part of the blame. Have heard horror stories of yards refusing to sell a fender nowadays. They're thinking goes - why sell a fender for $75 when they can sell complete front (both fenders header & hood) for $700 as a matched set. The good ole days are fading away. I'm actually contemplating buying the whole car and stripping one myself.

Monday, December 03, 2012 6:00 AM
Hmmm, maybe we could go in on a large warehouse and start getting a group collection together.

We should plan a first gen get together somewhere. Maybe at the bash next year?

Monday, December 03, 2012 9:12 PM
Well let me detail the NEW old yard local here in town.Since bought out they charge cores for body parts bc of scrap like orlen said.Unlike seats,or small items lights,do not matter.But wheels,starters,intakes,exhaust manifold those are core items.Just one more way to steal from us buyers really.I did not win last wks power ball so no big shop yet to buy cars and save for parts and build up a supply of things.I will keep trying in hopes to see it happen.

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 5:31 PM
Where and when is the Bash next year?

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 5:53 PM

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 7:15 PM
Hell yeah- Somerville NJ only 90 minutes from me...hood appears in good shape. Well, as they say, timing is everything.
If the final bid is $350 or less, I'd be ahead, not including the 21 hours of driving!

If I had a place to keep it, I'd bring it home for the hood as a spare, and let you vert and 4 cyl guys pick off it for free, but no room. And it would be very uncool to buy it just for the hood then dump it.

Cowl induction airbox and MAF ducting: FAIL!

(Quoting a past member)-"Never underestimate a First Gen"
Tuesday, December 04, 2012 8:43 PM
What's the deal with taking an up close pic of that analog cluster? If you look closely in one of the other pics it appears to have a digital cluster. What kind of scam does this individual have going?

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 8:58 PM
I saw no digi cluster illusion?That is a straight forward base cluster.Idk I am feeling the day and tired.I rechecked the pics and saw nothing odd.That car needs help,the door is toast in the corner as we see,but If I were on spot and did a good visual check of everything(I would pretend to be real uneduMACATED) on jbodys and then make a offer.Maybe 300 but I would have my code scanner for real time diagnostics and drive it!!!My actron is lcd screen so shows everything the cars doing,while I run it,drive etc.It cost 300.00 when I bought it,so it would save me money.I no need more cars right now tho.Unless I win the lottery then the flood gate is open.

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 5:06 AM
Oh gee it has a black carpet but that can't be right Jbodies didn't come with a black carpet

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 9:28 AM
I would say Ron probably has black carpet in Sunny. He lists the interior as black/cloth.

Around 2003 we had an 84 or 85 Sunbird Sedan , I wish I had photos of it now. It was that pretty burnt orange with black everything interior.

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 1:21 PM
I also thought that was a digi dash in the early pic and not in the late pic, but look closer, it's the same dash in both.
Wednesday, December 05, 2012 8:16 PM
I kept my thoughts TO myself on the carpet subject.Sunny has factory solid BLACK carpet .We can all overlook things from time to time myself included.

Friday, December 07, 2012 5:48 AM
Ron Love wrote:I kept my thoughts TO myself on the carpet subject.Sunny has factory solid BLACK carpet .We can all overlook things from time to time myself included.

. Mine's solid black too. It's kind of nice that it doesn't show much dirt but lord help ya if you drop something in the car at night

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search