BACK IN THE DAY! My 1st gen hatch pics from '87! - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
BACK IN THE DAY! My 1st gen hatch pics from '87!
Friday, December 07, 2012 2:22 PM
Finally got around to scanning my photos from 1987..I know I took more photos but it looks like I culled some to make room in my photo album..I have the negatives of Skyhawk hatches and an '83 Firenza, but do not have the will to take days lookng at negatives to find them, so these will have to do.

So, here is my '85 Sunbird S/E turbo hatch. First pic was Oct of '87, when it was on the used car lot at Bellavia Buick East Rutherford NJ, where I almost bought a new '87 Buick 2.0 turbo hatch, but settled on the used Sunbird instead.

Here are some shots from the late fall '87

Here is the summer of '88, after it's 1st thorough waxing and detailing under my care

I was taking shots of other J cars in the mid 80's. Truth be told, I liked Firenzas the most- I liked their front fascia and headlight treatment.

Here is a 1.8 Firenza SX hatch- you can just barely make out the 'overhead cam' badge in the front fender corner. Note the rare black paint superstock wheels- the top of the wheel option heap.

And here is a rather historic photo of perhaps one of the rareest of the 1st gens- a 1986 or 87 V6 Firena hatch w/ the V6 in full stealth mode- no GT trim of badging. The only external clues were the 14" (not 13") superstock wheels and the black open slots in the center of the of the header panel between the headlights. Done for extra cooling.

The salesman said to me 'yeah, there was a delay in these coming out- something about the paint peeling off the hood'. Dunno if he was just making a joke or BSing me for a sales pitch, but I believed him at the time. I test drove the car and loved it.
Even though I was always looking to spot J cars 'back in the day', this was the ONLY V6 strealth Firenza I ever saw. The few other V6 Firenza I saw had the GT package (lace 14" wheels, decals, FE3 badge on the rear, interior trim package) . This car too had the black paint and chrome trim superstock wheels.

(Quoting a past member)-"Never underestimate a First Gen"

Re: BACK IN THE DAY! My 1st gen hatch pics from '87!
Friday, December 07, 2012 5:14 PM
What a B L A S T from the past!!

Thank You John Mac for the treat - I really enjoyed it. Photos like yours are so rare to find here on the Internet ! It is one thing to see examples at a car show or for a brief ride outside of a garage, Yours are just as it was back in time.

I know the cliché' "The good ole days" is way overused - but to me the '80's were the last of them. Nowadays everything looks like everything else and so many brands have evaporated away in the great recession. Electronics and high tech are replacing do-it-yourself ....hell it is even challenging the corner auto repair shops now too. It never occurred to me I would see a day in my lifetime that 13' tires would virtually disappear when so many cars ran on them in the '70's & '80's. Hatchbacks were all the rage and fell from grace ...LoL ....just like disco music. Station Wagons were reincarnated into minivans and SUV's but the hatchbacks just faded away. The hatchback was a style all to it's own. I can't help but remember back in the day I took the hatch off a venerable Chevette when moving and carried the Washer...then the Dryer.....followed by whatever would else fit in the darn thing - necessity is the mother of invention!!

With all the crazyiness we find ourselves in these days it is so nice to visit a time and place when live was ....more carefree!!

Thanks again John Mac!!

Friday, December 07, 2012 5:58 PM
Nice pictures John. I wish I had taken pictures of my new and new to me cars on the lot back in the day. Good Job!

I would love to get my hands on that Fierenza V6 Hood

Makes me want to dig up some pictures of my new 87 Cav sedan (Good Car), new 90 Cav VL (Most reliable car I ever owned) and the worst J car I ever owned, a brand new 94 Sunbird.

94 Sunbird purchased in Dec of 93 and traded in Oct of 95 for a 96 Saturn.
The 2.0 mated with the 5 Spd manual was a DOG! But it did have a comfy Black interior. Plus I hated the auto locking doors and the paint was just falling off the car.

Friday, December 07, 2012 8:10 PM
Great info and rare to see some good photos of the 80s cars.Makes me wonder if back in 87 when I bought my truck new,why the cavalier was not on my radar.In short my best friend had a 86 mazda truck and loved it,rode with him alot.So being young and finally making a paycheck every month driving a school bus,well mazda was my favored choice.Makes sense but,once my sister got sunny in 1990 I did like the car but,oh my it was gm (junk) in my youthful head.Only to learn years later I would take ownership of the said car and just love the car alot more than I ever knew.It just grew on me and anyone talking crap about it,I would def step up to point out all the good stuff,and mileage it had with low issues.So in short my appreciation of gm has been over time and cussed them for some things but heck what car is perfect in every way with out some agravation working on some part of it(none).Good things we all learn.

Friday, December 07, 2012 10:35 PM
thanks for the comments guys- glad u enjoyed them!
LOL on the break back into your car via the sunroof thing. Loved hatches. My 1st car was a hatch ('75 Olds Omega)- I could stuff a whole semester of dorm room stuff into that sucker. And Ron....glad you turned away from the dark side (Mazda) !

I looked at the back of those Firenza photos- the 1.8 photo is date stamped June 1985, and the stealth V6 is date stamped Sept '85. .

Both Firenzas do not have the '86 blackout treatment for the grillwork on the bumper covers- that and high mounted 3rd brake light are virtually the only ways to distinguish an '85 from '86 Firenza.. This makes both of these '85s. Finally, as the V6 hit the J body in mid '85, this steath V6 Firenza must have been one of the very first of the very few

Saturday, December 08, 2012 4:11 AM
there are still some hatches out there guys. i spotted this one about 15 miles from me. unfortunetly the owner won't sell. i left my phone number just in case he changes his mind. you never know.

Saturday, December 08, 2012 9:00 AM
Are those 2nd gen wheels?

Saturday, December 08, 2012 10:31 AM
Now you guys are just toying with me.

Seriously though, love the pics John mac. Wish I had a few of those around of my old bird. I'm limited to a few photos where it makes an appearance in the far background.

Still love the front end on these with the 6 lights. I got pulled over by a cop once when I was driving with the lows on and the fogs. He told me it was illegal to drive with 4 lights on! Don't know if he thought they were the highs or what his issue was but obviously he was mistaken.
Saturday, December 08, 2012 10:37 AM

They look like 2nd gen to me.
Saturday, December 08, 2012 10:45 AM
I thought they might be 2nd gens. Anyone familiar with them to know if they go by some nick-name and what size they are?

LoL , I would probably be better asking that in the 2nd gen forum . Shame on me!!

Saturday, December 08, 2012 12:12 PM
Those are '88 Phase I 14x6 wheels.

http://www.originalwheels.com/chevrolet-wheels/cavalier1989rims.php

Saturday, December 08, 2012 2:03 PM
FANTASTIC!!!

I love the two-tone

Neat stuff on the Firenzas too...

Saturday, December 08, 2012 6:21 PM
Nice!!!!

http://www.autotalk.com/pictures/data/1536/medium/2005_Chevrolet_Cavalier_Xtreme_002_autotalk_com_.jpg
Sunday, December 09, 2012 10:30 AM
Great photos! I wish I had some old photos of mine.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 6:19 PM
I thought posting here would be a fitting remembrance to John Mac.

We will Miss you Buddy

John always has a quote in place of a Sig. Never knew just who he was quoting, maybe some on here knows. I decided to add that quote to my Sig in remember you by John - now there are 2 "past members" .

Thank You Ron for the update!

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 7:44 PM
No problem orlen I just knew with the amount of time gone by,I needed to reach out and touch base with him.I was kinda floored to here the news while late,I can understand the family has not really had time to adjust and finding the sites he went to and updating the situation.He def was a really geniune guy in his jbody love for his cars.Missed he will be from our group.

Thursday, March 28, 2013 10:00 PM
Love these old car photos....

I really need to dig up some old photos of my 87 Rs......

http://www.autotalk.com/pictures/data/1536/medium/2005_Chevrolet_Cavalier_Xtreme_002_autotalk_com_.jpg
Friday, March 29, 2013 7:52 PM
Lovely car.
Thursday, May 02, 2013 10:37 AM
WOW had you known today that the 87 skyhawk turbo would be RARE, you should have bought it, I know the 85 sunbird S/E is really rare
Wednesday, February 26, 2014 1:35 AM
Hey team,

Haven't been on here for some time, nice to see we're all still talking.

Regarding my 1987 Oldsmobile Firenza GT (FE3) ... she's been parked in the back yard under wrap for a little over two years, looks like she needs an emergency brake kit and a roof liner repair (the glue's letting go). Also noticing some memory steer and I'm told the release gear/bearing may be worn in the transmission resulting in a tricky shift (i know the ranges so no problem)... aside from that, I've got a fully functional turnkey 1987 Oldmobile Firenza GT (FE3) sitting in my backyard... what do I do with her, the wife wants the parking pad back, i'm thinking a small pop up trailer for the new kids (modest)... do I send it to the wrecker? The wife and I would like to fix it up but as time slips away I can't help but feel it'll never happen... it's been so long since I last saw another, and nobody even knows what the car is if you tell em... fun stuff.

I've attached some pictures, still have the rims, it's on blocks right now. If anyone has an interest in restoring rarer model cars from the 80's they should reach out to me. Who wants to see the car that got you through those college years go - ya know what I mean!

-Shane Weston
-Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Attachments
scan0005.jpg (358k)
IM000877.pdf (232k)
IM000848.pdf (389k)

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 9:16 PM
Never lose site of a project that can take time.My suggestion is move the car out of the way and put up on jack stands.I would suggest using small cut new plywood to place where the jack stands will sit so it will not sink.2nd buy a waterproof car cover off of ebay for say 50.00 or more depends on seller and shipping.This will keep the car away from ground moisture and keep the metal dry!As for bugs and rodents place LOTS of dryer sheets in the interior and under the hood this will rid them of taking a hold to move in.You do have to change out the dryer sheets once a month but any brand works as bugs,and rodents dislike the odor and much better than mothballs or chemicals.I understand the cost,time and lack of cars alike but sending it to a junkpile will only hurt it and parting it out is timely and very involved.The minor things it needs are budget small imo and not worth scrapping or parting out when in steps breathe some life back into it gradually.Your ride is rare period even here and make's it unique and more enticing to keep seriously.PEP confirmation talk is done.I do liketh the 1st gens a lot and do know these cars pretty good.Is this enough to reavaluate your possible change of thought.Btw the jack stands would need to set so the car is at least 1 foot off the ground.Good dry air to prevent moisture problems.R

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 10:20 PM
I have the space, but not the way to get it here....

But I'd go for it anyways....you'll regret it when it's gone.

I still kick myself for not getting it a space in my parents garage for a while....otherwise I might still have it today.

It's been a tough winter...perfect reason to work outside more!

http://www.autorentalandsales.com/images/2004Cavalier005.JPG
Thursday, February 27, 2014 8:19 AM
Thanks guys, the wife has a lot of fond memories as well, think we'll hold onto it. The parking pad is inside a fence, not visible, only gets sun on it about 50% of the day. The parking pad is solid concrete and it's on proper jack stands about a foot off the ground. Thanks for the pointers on the dryer sheets, i'll be sure to do that this spring. Right now it's under about 4ft of snow, has two covers over it... yeah i need to replace them, think this will be the year to ensure she's protected. It's great to speak with other people who know what a 1st Gen J-Body is... Winnipeg (Home) used some VERY harsh winter road chemicals until the late 90's so people in town really respect older vehicles...
Thursday, February 27, 2014 7:18 PM
Just wanted to post here a few photos of John Macs Z-24 Hatch. He still had this when he passed away - his passion for J-Bodies outlasted himself. No one knows what happened to his Z24 - but it serves as an inspiration to us all in those times when we all feel like giving up on our J-Bodies and moving on.
Sometimes an experience with a certain machine can be kinda like a marriage. It is a relationship wherein we enjoy the good times and suffer through the bad times but never give up.

That said - I raise my glass to you John!

Saturday, March 01, 2014 12:16 PM
Thanks for showing. so so RED! I wish I could Find one or two just like that. One stock. And one sleeper
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search