Headlight warning buzzer - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Headlight warning buzzer
Tuesday, December 18, 2012 12:33 PM
This may sound dumb, but do first gens have a headlight warning bell (or buzzer)?
The other day I almost killed the battery because I left my headlights on right before dusk.
My car buzzes if you leave the keys in it and walk away, but no so if you leave the headlights on.
This could cause problems down the road for me...

~ Mike ~

Re: Headlight warning buzzer
Tuesday, December 18, 2012 12:45 PM
My 84 Sunbird does not, my 94 Camaro does

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 1:16 PM
My original Hawk did not have it, but my current Hawk does have the buzzer. This leads me to believe it was part of an option package.

Of course, the buzzer is so old and tired, it sounds like the car is crying when it sounds, and it is a very light sound.
Tuesday, December 18, 2012 3:19 PM
Both of my 87 Z24s beep when you leave the lights on.
Tuesday, December 18, 2012 5:29 PM
This is odd...
My '86 Cavalier Wagon ( CS ) doesn't ( Or it isn't working)

My '84 Pontiac Coupe ( Base ) Does and is working. Buzzer is under dash somewhere near the lower steering column.

As soon as I get a chance to get in there and find it, I'll snap a photo and post.

You've got my curiosity up and running on this too, I have left my lights on, on my wagon at work before too and killed the battery! Makes for a really good "Gotcha!!" come time to go home.....and I was the last one to leave for the day as I close the plant up up.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 8:29 PM
My 85 has the buzzer but for key on,but on recall do not remember if leaving the lights on makes it buzz.I am almost certain it does not,when I do a light check minus the keys in the ignition.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 9:24 PM
I think the buzzer/chime was part of the courtesy lamp group- while my '85 Sunbird had the option, I cannot recall a buzzer or chime- too many years passed. I'll check the Z24 Wednesday- it does have the lamp group.

(Quoting a past member)-"Never underestimate a First Gen"
Wednesday, December 19, 2012 6:26 AM
I think you are on to something there John Mac. My J 2000 has the lights down under the dash lighting the floor.
The wagon didn't. However when I was deep under the wagon doing a rack replacement I discovered that GM has run the wiring for those lights, the sockets were down there, just tied up out of the way. I pulled them out , put bulbs in them and put the sockets in the underside panels - they work just fine!!
I'm wondering if the same holds true for the buzzer socket as well. When I get a chance to get under the Pontiac and find this little Goober I'll check and see if the socket is there in the wagon. Of course, the next question is if you can get the darn buzzer. J-Body parts are becoming a question to source these days!!
Guess that comes from all the great demand for all the 1st Gen owners out there .....LoL

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 1:22 PM
I don't remember if my original Hawk had the lights on the floor, but my current one does.

What it doesn't do is buzz for the interior light being left on. I would've KILLED for that in my original Hawk as I had a tilt wheel, and back then I would always tilt it up when I got out of the car (something I never needed to do, but did anyway back then), and when I tilted the wheel, I would often bump the dial to turn on the interior lights. I then wouldn't notice the light still on when I closed the door, and my battery would be dead the next day.
Wednesday, December 19, 2012 4:51 PM
My 87 has that buzzer. It works every now and then.

Thursday, December 20, 2012 5:01 PM
yep- got a headlights on chime in my '86 (w/ the lamp group). It goes BONG BONG BONG! Kinda harsh sounding actually.

Good find on your lights Orlen! I wonder if there are other 'Easter egg' options waiting to be discovered? It would be awesome if hatches were wired up for a remote hatch release- I had one in my '85 Sunbird and miss not having it. I'd have to root arounf the glove compartment for the wiring for the yellow button.

(Quoting a past member)-"Never underestimate a First Gen"

Thursday, December 20, 2012 6:14 PM
No buzzer on either one of my 84's, and they came with the aux lighting, but I think there are just worn out.

Friday, December 21, 2012 6:06 AM
I'm thinking about purchasing and installing one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUTOMATIC-ADJUSTABLE-ON-OFF-HEADLIGHT-KIT-SENSOR-SWITCH-ON-OFF-LIGHT-W-COMPUTER-/271113998118?hash=item3f1fa74f26&item=271113998118&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Ac cessories&vxp=mtr

Every car I own has automatic headlights, except for my Cavalier - I think this might be an alternative to carrying booster cables around in the Swaggin' !

~ Mike ~

Thursday, January 24, 2013 9:17 PM
My '84 Cavalier convertible has one, but it is not very loud at all. I have to really listen to hear it. Most of the time when I hear it ringing is just as I toggle my alarm and the lights come on just before I open the door and start her up...
Thursday, January 24, 2013 9:35 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Tracker-Sensing-Windshield-Wiper-Controls/dp/B006UHXMWU
I have that in all my cars. Before that I used night light. It just controlled headlights. My buzzer on my 2nd gen is tied to the dimmer from factory. The lower the dimmer the quieter. I am pretty sure all jbodys came with them you guys may just have bad dimmers.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Friday, January 25, 2013 1:09 PM
Rob--

so what happens when you go through a car wash?
Friday, January 25, 2013 1:59 PM
There is a toggle switch you can hide to turn disable it. Then the factory controls can be used if needed. Mine is in the bolt hole for the panel under the steering column. it's a little silver toggle switch.

Sunday, January 27, 2013 12:54 PM
My 86 hatchback didn't have a headlight buzzer, but it did have a buzzer for not having your seatbelt on aswell as having a door open, the buzzer was located on the firewall right by the fuse panel. Inn post a pic of the location

~~1986 Chevy Cavalier CS~~
~~2.0 TBI~~
Sunday, January 27, 2013 1:22 PM
Well if anyone needsany ccool gadgets. I installed everything from invisile door popper hichcan pop my trunnk by a spot on the spoiler and pop my doors. Auto lights, and wipers, one touch power windows, two way remote with window up,down and vent with the sunroof, hid headlights, foglights, and reverse lights, digi dash, swithc backbulbs and lot more things.

Sunday, January 27, 2013 5:46 PM
Sounds like some cool stuff. Did you buy kits for it or did you re-engineer the components from other cars?

Sunday, January 27, 2013 6:50 PM
I am thinking the convertibles did not get it as our interior lights were rewired to over the mirror and behind the door locations. I don't have anything close to where the original lights should be

Sunday, January 27, 2013 7:32 PM
84conv wrote:Sounds like some cool stuff. Did you buy kits for it or did you re-engineer the components from other cars?

Most of it is just kits. Besides the heated and power seat. I did use a rear view mirror from another car, 3rd gen sunroof and added power mirror internals to my 3nd gen mirror. Everything I did was very simple. Nothing should take more then a few hours.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search