Air filter mounting - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Air filter mounting
Tuesday, December 25, 2012 9:07 AM
So my stock 86 cavalier cs, 2.0 tbi has seen better days lol. I'm having a hard time finding a particular part. Was wondering if anyone knows where to get the air filter mounting gasket (big round gasket with 2 long studs that run through the round air filter housing)

~~1986 Chevy Cavalier CS~~
~~2.0 TBI~~

Re: Air filter mounting
Tuesday, December 25, 2012 8:05 PM
You mean this part and I do have one.There is a member HERE who needed this as well,and has yet to reply back to me for shipping it,plus paying for it.I will give him say to the end of dec.IF he does not reply back I will gladly sell the part you see here which is the part I got for him for the same price I quoted him(24.00) plus fedex ground shipg cost.I do use paypal and prefer that but,if that is not feasable we can work out those details thru a PM here IF the current buyer does not contact me by the end of the month.I feel like giving him every opportunity to buy this,so being fair.I can get these with ease here in NC so no big deal.I am the parts guy to a degree here on the 1st board just scroll down to my thread pull a part so you can see the items I have found and sold to current members.

Tuesday, December 25, 2012 9:22 PM
That's it!!! I've been searching for about 3 months now without any luck. And I've got no problem waiting to purchase it. Cash is a little tight this month. Can you post a link to your thread please? The site is a little hard to search off my iPhone lol. There's a few other things I was looking for, mainly a speedometer (individual piece) the spring that turns dial back broke. ;(

~~2.0 TBI~~
Wednesday, December 26, 2012 10:50 PM
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=28&i=12204&t=12204 My parts thread only a few down the forum on this page.No problem on waiting I am betting the 1st buyer won't be back any time soon being it has been three wks.I anticipate you will be getting the part in the pic above which is already clean,boxed up and ready.So no rush,and what kind of dash do you have like the full speedo with fuel gauge,OR the round style dash with a small speedo,fuel and dummy lights in a circle in the middle.

Thursday, December 27, 2012 7:31 PM
I'll poSt a pic of my dash, its just the one with small speedo, gas gauge and dummy light for oil,temp, and voltage. trying to think of what else needs replacing. Been searching the junk yards around here in south jersey but there no hatch backs in any of them!!
I've really in need of windows sweeps (inside and out, both doors). Maybe a coolant reservoir(mines leaking from the bottem) And a front bumper ( when I got the car the pass anger side by the turn signal was smashed in)... ohhh and a spare plastic cluster cover, and the clear gauge lenses (mine cracked). Btw, the bumper is just a want, not a need lol. But everything you manage to round up I'll deffenitly buy, but gotta wait till I get my tax return.

~~2.0 TBI~~
Thursday, December 27, 2012 10:43 PM
Ok the cluster is not a problem I think to find here OR even ORLEN who might have a spare! Now for your antifreeze overflow tank I have several already.Some are older like 83,87 and some others.I am sure the coolant tank I should have in my stash and need to take pics before hand so you can match a EXACT fit.The 2.0 liter engine tanks are pretty cookie cutter where as the 2.8 and 3.1 were a touch diff DUE to the AC lines going around them.But being I have a 85 2.0 I can match my tank to the extras and take a pic and show you it from all sides so I can get you the right part.I need to shoot orlen a pm and let him chime in on this dash instrument cluster thing.He has a cav,and bird and has several pieces like your setup.I will touch base with asap and hope he chimes in here.

Friday, December 28, 2012 9:34 AM
I don't even need the entire cluster. Just the speedo. N I'm getting ready to head out and work under the hood now. Ill take a pic of my coolant tank. N snap a few interior/ex pics. Ohhhhhh one random thing. Know where to get the sunshade thing that clips into the trunk? I've got a system n I'm trying to make it a Lil hidden lol.

~~2.0 TBI~~
Saturday, January 12, 2013 10:42 PM
The air cleaner boot is yours! If the other party checks back I have another one for him in that event.I have a full speedo cluster for you as well.I will snap pics of it and share later probably tues or so.We can work out details on cost and shipg and so forth in pm once I get back on track of things.

Monday, January 14, 2013 11:16 AM
Awesome!!! Thank you so much, I will deff get it, just gotta wait until I get my taxes to pick it up, cash is super duper tight lol. N imma do a little bit more digging around the car to see what else it needs. But no rush. Thank you again a million times!

~~2.0 TBI~~
Monday, January 14, 2013 10:02 PM
No rush this will alloy me to get the air cleaner ring and instrument cluster ready to box up and just have set aside for when your ready.Done for now.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 7:56 PM
Here is the cluster and will sell you the whole piece BC I have no need for it and in the event yours pukes out or need parts you have a back up! I will cut you a deal on the cluster like 15.00 since you only wanted the speedo itself.Once your ready to settle up and OH get a pic of your coolant tank there are so many designs and want what ever I have that may fit around the AC lines to work.Get a pic share it and I will see if my few extras will work.That way when I pack the speedo cluster,tbi ring,and coolant bottle all in one box and we can do a total of all the parts plus shipg.

Saturday, January 26, 2013 9:00 PM
Ill try and snap a pic of the coolant bottle tomorow, the weather in jersey has been kinda bitter this past week. And I have no ac lines in the way, I removed it all a few years back, most of the hardware was rusted out anyway hahaha.
But on a positive note, my w2s came in the mail today so I can hopefully buy those part from your in the next few weeks.

~~2.0 TBI~~
Saturday, January 26, 2013 11:26 PM
Ok that sounds fine.The weather here friday was a mess.Most of it is gone,dry but cooler and cold as dirt at night.I am worn out after today so short it is.

Sunday, January 27, 2013 7:12 AM
That's a clean looking Instrument cluster. You can use Orlen's post on setting the odometer to the correct mileage.

Sunday, January 27, 2013 9:34 AM
I see a circle around the fuel gauge and the speedo needle is yellow with a tiny black line - I think those were on the 2 headlight early models. '82 -'83. Pull enough stuff you remember silly little things like that.

Be darned if I can remember what I did yesterday morning though.....

Sunday, January 27, 2013 12:41 PM
Sooo I've got an oddball question. You guys know the standard light bulbs that screw into the back of the instrument cluster (the ones that make it light up when ur headlights are on). Well I rember seeing but can't find it, someone had found LED replacements, and I was searching for them but can't find the post lol. Ill snap a pic of the stock bulb holders in a minute. Also the following is a pic of my coolant overflow bottle, like I said there's no ac lines in the way, just need something that will mount up right.

~~2.0 TBI~~
Sunday, January 27, 2013 12:50 PM
Couldn't find the edit button for my last post lol, here's a picture of the bulb assemblies for the back of the instrument cluster

~~2.0 TBI~~
Sunday, January 27, 2013 1:16 PM
Here is the Post as best I remember.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=28&i=13216&t=13216

Paul94Z28 started this, and probably can hop in here with some good information. I reread the post and didn't see where anyone discussed the small bulbs behind the IC. FYI these bulbs swap with the side marker bulbs. If you are suffering intermittent operation, I took my Dremel tool and used a polishing wheel on the copper runs right where the socket fits and polished them up, did the same for the little tabs on the sockets themselves. Took a very small flat blade and bent the tabs just a little on the sockets to make better contact. These little tricks worked Wonders!!

Sunday, January 27, 2013 10:22 PM
Yeah that instrument cluster came out of a 83! And 2nd the cluster was cleaned and lens was polished with meguiars plastic polish.Thanks for the pic and will see if it matches the several I have to send the closest fit comparison.Little tired not like sat nite,but a little adult koolaid in the mix I am smooth.Next wk I will snap a shot of what tank should work.Still have to work mon,tue so wed on pics.

Monday, January 28, 2013 10:06 PM
hi andrew this is tom if you cant find either the air filter mounting or the coolant bottle let me know ihave boxes of jstuff email me at trsjr61
@hotmail.com
Tuesday, January 29, 2013 9:10 PM
I have the parts he needs! The pics above show tbi mounting and I have several bottles in my stash and will send him one of the spares I have.Good to know there are several of us who hoard parts.If I had a building I would have several cars to boot but,the lottery needs to make that happen right.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 8:41 PM
Ok here is one coolant tank that is cleaned up and ready.I know these all have the same mounting points and being you deleted the AC it should fit and work fine.Take a good look and if spot ok for fit,and overall design I will set it aside to ship with the other items.This came out of a 2.0 eng car not sure on which year but,is diff than mine FOR sure,the tops are moulded a touch diff for the ac drier lines.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 10:07 PM
Ahhh the tank is perfect. Now I'm playing the waiting game, waiting for my taxes to be deposited lol.
But in my Spare time I did a little research on the led replacements for the IC and came across this site
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/instrument-cluster-gauge/filter/Cross_Reference_Number,B8.3D,21,4332:

They also have setups for break lights aswell as side markers/turn signals. I may be doing a complete LEDs swap out on my brown hatch. After I replace most of my suspension, get new tires, an alignment, as well as replace my timing chain tensioner( I've had a god awe full "tap" for a few months now and finally found the source)

~~2.0 TBI~~
Wednesday, January 30, 2013 10:15 PM
They've even got a handy replacement guide per vehicle

Here's mine
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led-vehicle-replacement-bulbs/vehicle/1986-chevrolet-cavalier--/11-334--/

Ohhh one more request, anybody have a under the hood lighting setup, mines has the mounting holes but came with NO hardware, n I can't even seen to find out how it would have been wired in, even if someone know where it was wired I'm at, I could make my own assembly.

~~2.0 TBI~~
Re:under hood light
Thursday, January 31, 2013 5:23 PM
hi andrew tom again ihave afew of those lights and i can find where my light wires in ps thats chrome hooded hood light let me know
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search