1986 Cavalier RS Convt. - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1986 Cavalier RS Convt.
Wednesday, December 26, 2012 5:06 AM
Hello,
New to site and just introduction. I have a 1986 Cavalier RS Convt. Equipped with power locks, windows, trunk, seat, and digital dash. Powered by a 2.0L with a 5 spd. Always been low on power, but great on gas, was a daily driver for years and 260 000 Km on the clock. Once I know how to load pics can post some. It is not mint but for Easten Canada it is rare to be in one piece at all.

Thanks, Ken.

Re: 1986 Cavalier RS Convt.
Wednesday, December 26, 2012 5:32 AM
hi Ken i also have a 86 vert rs. mine has the 2.8 with an auto trans. i also have an 86 skyhawk coupe with the 2.0. i actually like the 2.0 better as it is more reliable, better on gas and easier to work on. wish i had a 5 speed though. welcome to the site. i joined about a year and ahalf ago. there are some very good people on here who can give you all kinds of help. the first generation forum really has some great guys and know pretty much everything about these cars. before i do anything to my car now i first check here for info or advice.once again welcome and we really all love to see pics
Wednesday, December 26, 2012 8:51 AM
Welcome!

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 11:37 AM
Welcome aboard!!

Glad you could pop in!! The 2.0 OHV is a good ole work horse. Just plain simple by todays standards. Won't beat the next guy to the corner convenience store, but who is in a hurry when ya got a 'vert - enjoy the sunshine!!

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 12:46 PM
Welcome!

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 1:13 PM
from another thread on how to post pics:

Re: WOWZA- SUPER MINT '87 Z 2 DR on Ebay now!!
Sunday, December 02, 2012 6:04 PM
Wayne Schiff

It's not the size of the pics, it's how you use them...

I found Google+ (it's like facebook, but more user friendly) to be the easiest way to post up pics. Once you create an account there, you can upload your pics.

Then, open a 2nd tab in your browser, or a 2nd window, whichever you like better and come here to post.

to post the pic here, go to your G+ account, bring up the picture, and if you're using a windows machine, press F6 to highlight the entire URL bar in G+, right click in that URL bar and choose copy. If you're using Mac, command L will highlight the URL

then come to here in your other tab or window to post, and in your post, type [ img ] paste your url here and type [ /img ]

now around the letters img and /img are brackets, they are above your return key, and DON'T USE THE SPACES THAT I USED. I did that so you could see what I typed. just type the bracket and img and the closing bracket without any spaces.

You can then preview your post to make sure the pic shows up, once in a while it doesn't work for me, but it almost always does. When it doesn't work for me, I have even had to reboot my computer before it would work--don't know why, but sometimes it just doesn't work for me.
Wednesday, December 26, 2012 4:44 PM
Hi Ken,
I have the same motor in one of my 84 Cav Verts with the 5 spd also. My wife got it back in 86 with 39,000 miles on it. It was a slow dog from day one, but is great on gas. In the summer of 2011 I swapped in a donor 84 2.0 motor with 53,000 miles on it and it was like a new car. It seems to have twice the power that it ever had. It will be great to see some pics.

John

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 10:44 PM
Cool another new first gen member.Welcome and any questions just ask.We all in some way can help if you need to know something.I have a 85 cav type 10.In my signature below.

Thursday, December 27, 2012 4:22 PM
John, very nice looking Blue 'vert. Ron, nice shape yellow coupe. The old RS is not near that type of condition. Is now retired from daily use, starting to restore it. My RS has the same wheels, blacked out, missing three center caps. These seem to be harder to keep on than the centers on my 2009 G5 wheels. Wondering if you know where I can find some center caps? Does any body remember how to set the base timing, ingnition timing, on the 2.0 Chev. Thanks for any help, Ken
Thursday, December 27, 2012 11:15 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-OEM-CENTER-CAP-Chevrolet-CAVALIER-1982-1989-/230893906038?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item35c2596876 These are the caps I bought from the same seller and he has more!!! I have two sets from him and great service and assume you need the chrome centers and these are NOS caps!!! I can help you with the timing just a touch (merlot glass or two to the wind) so let me try friday.I can tell you our 2.0 run 6* degrees btd(before top dead center) and stupid tired now.

Saturday, January 12, 2013 1:25 PM
Can't wait to see the pics. Welcome to the site. These 1st Gen guys are some of the nicest and helpful around.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search