well, goobered up one 87 airbox today (cowl hood project) - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
well, goobered up one 87 airbox today (cowl hood project)
Wednesday, December 19, 2012 8:15 PM
I proved to myself yet again, I am NOT cut out to be a shade tree mechanic. I can only stand back and gawk at guys who do engine swaps and diagnose issues in their sleep.

Today was the only day for no rain in the northeast. I had a complete intact '87 airbox purchased off Moon's v6 site. I figured in advance that the fit of the '86 MAF duct to the '87 box opening was an unknown. The openings on both are round and today I determined they are same exact diameter, and approx the same position from a R/L up/down standpoint. Both are flared out female/female, so I sawed off the flare/bevel (about a 1/2 inch taken off) off the '87 airbox to make it 'male'. It then fit with some effort. Good all around.

So then, I bolted in the '87 box as a test fit. This was a temporary trial run, as Josh's '87 hood won't be refinished until late winter, and so the '86 box was going to go back in. The only remaining unknow was how to get the IAT mounted on the side ('87 has no IAT on the box).

So, trying to get the '87 box off, the 'nut' weld at the bottom of the mounting pedastel failed, so the nut would spin round and round while trying to remove the bolt.. I could not get access to the nut. I tried drilling the hole in the battery tray bigger to get the bolt out (no good), jamming a screwdriver in to hold the nut , but i could not hold both the screwdriver and ratchet the bolt off. Could not get the old airbox off (and therfore, the could not install the battery). Faced with cold, wind, sunset, and an inoperable car, I finally ripped the pedastel apart by twisting it, exposing the nut and I got everything back to '86 stock condition. But I ruined the box.

So, Ron's '88/'89 box (in prep) may save the day, but the opening is oval. Unknowns aplenty. SIGH. Yes, so checking the 'headlights on' chime was, uh, not on the done list today! I'll resume the airbox battle another day!

(Quoting a past member)-"Never underestimate a First Gen"

Re: well, goobered up one 87 airbox today (cowl hood project)
Wednesday, December 19, 2012 8:34 PM
Post a pic of the damage. I may be able to help you salvage it.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 8:46 PM
Thanks Josh, but...it is toast. Not only is the pedastel twisted apart, the fragile plastic disc that mounts the box bottom to the pedastel top is all shattered.

Thursday, December 20, 2012 11:34 AM
Do you still have the box I saved for you? Technically you don't really have to have it mounted solid to the pedestal. Mine has been shattered for almost 10 years. It just rests on top of it.

Thursday, December 20, 2012 11:55 AM
Just an idea for you to ponder on your next adventure. I have found a dremal tool with a heavy duty cutoff wheel is invalueable working on old cars! Can't tell you all the places and things I've found myself using this on when all else fails. It is a fav for exhaust work and I've even resorted to cutting off a frozen wheel nut once (very carefully not to mess up the wheel). It's a wonderful investment.
Never get too down on yourself. We all have been there and done that. Heck even the pros goober it up from time to time (shhhh...don't tell anybody!!) Consider it just another lession along the way!! The main thing is to keep plugging along , all the mistakes along the way just makes the end result even sweeter when you get there :-)

Thursday, December 20, 2012 4:42 PM
Hey Josh,

Now I am double bummed, as you are right, esp for me since my '86 MAF duct is stiff rigid plastic and bolted in place elsewhere- once clamped to the bucket's side opening, the bucket would be pretty much set in place- I kept your old pedestel and it could have provided a good base, even if not directly attached to the bucket. The bucket is gone- today was trash day. grrrrr........

Hey Orlen-
Good advice on the dremel. and you know, I have a dremel...... trying to take your wise words to not get down on myself, but if I could rewind 24 hours...if these parts were not so rare I would not sweat it. Well, let's see how the '88/'89 box works once it arrives.

Oh, the Z24 has a 'bong bong bong' for the headlights on alarm. My '86 brochure notes it is included w/ the courtesy light group. Pretty nasty sounding, but i guess that is the idea!

Thursday, December 20, 2012 8:41 PM
Well mild update.Your box is painted and just have the 3 bolts left to lay a round or two more paint on those.I probably will send it out next wk all packed up and yeah the paint is def cured on the metal pieces.I will share pics of this say friday since it is in pieces on my trunk of the (sunny) which is car covered.I bet IF I had a original with your piece to mount I could fab it to work(not sleeping of course).I am very mechanical with car stuff and even lawn mowers(riding) and tons of other crap I fix.Today simple stuff actually mowed my dead and growing grass and beat the rain!Done for now

Thursday, December 20, 2012 9:10 PM
Hey John if the newer one doesn't work out try getting one from an F body with tune port injection. I think you can modify it to your needs also. It might be easier to come across.

Friday, December 21, 2012 12:40 PM
Hey Ron,

Thanks for the update- I am sure it will look awesome, as does all your work. The magic will be to get the duct to fit the box opening...time will tell. If it will help, i can get an exact measurement of the MAF duct- it's inner and out diameter, and send pics. It is a perfect circle. I;ll take and post pics t'morrow (Saturday).

Hi Josh- a 2.8 MFI F body- what years? Never owned an F body, and i wonder if the designs and fits for the boxes were as particular as J bodies?

Friday, December 21, 2012 7:05 PM
No its on the 5.0 and 5.7 cars and just like our cars the pre-88 models used a MAF sensor.

Saturday, December 22, 2012 7:19 PM
I find it amazing how much interchange there is with our first gens and 3rd gen f-bodies.

Saturday, December 22, 2012 7:51 PM
Paul, if you look at certain features on our cars its crazy how we have miniature copies of our f-body counter parts.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 8:24 PM
Ok 1st are pics of J.Macs new air box all painted and three pics.Next two pics show my modded 88 box that had a oval (egg style opening) which I used a heat gun and two oil filter wrenches with metal to heat and squeeze to a round opening.I had to cut four tension points top/bottom and side to side to allow the harder plastic to give and make it as close to his specs on measurements.It def is round and while not so pretty inside the opening the outside is good and with some persuasion his original tube going to his old and or current box should work.It took me a good hour and half to do this and easy it was not.The box itself is solid and paint went good on it last month.So I hope my less hacked up box works and literally will go in with zero problems and finess the tube on the box and it will look all good.I got more stressed out when my camera shots got weird and blury or pink and lighting in kitchen just erked me.Had to relocate to change and yeah adjusted camera several times (which was not the problem) but cam battery died and had to wait to charge briefly to get 1 last pic .Sure hope this works bc it was no easy task molding this hard as concrete plastic and molding it as round as I could versus the oval /egg shape it had!

Thursday, January 17, 2013 4:30 PM
And who said "You can't put a round tube into an oval hole."

Good job!
If the second gen guys can shoehorn a 3500 into a Cav, it is the least we can do!

Thursday, January 17, 2013 7:40 PM
Yes John , Ron did a "Mighty Fine" job there!! I Loved how he used one of our beloved "old fashioned" oil filter wrenches to even out the oval!! Like everything else those wrenches are fading away too. What on earth are the kids gonna do 20 years from now? All the good ole fixable cars and even a lot of the tools will not be around!
For now though we gotta try and get by with what is left. Great Job there with your masterpiece, Ron!! You've created another new trick!!

.................................................................................

Thursday, January 17, 2013 9:00 PM
Great job Ron! I hope it works out. If it fits correctly I might try that for mine since it has been damaged for years. I have one from an '89 that I found tonight.

Friday, January 18, 2013 7:40 PM
All in time we will know once I hear from john to get the part to him for a fit,adjustment.I suspect it will be close and he may have to take his tube and heat it some to expand or reduce for finish fit.This was not as easy as I thought it would be,but I am satisfied with it's overall finish.Thanks for the comments.It was finally a sunny day here since like last sunday and we got snow last night.Went outside in all the slush and snow still everywhere but,roads are clear.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search