Cimmaron Parts - Page 2 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Cimmaron Parts
Friday, December 14, 2012 12:04 AM
we need a power seat tracks and driver side wheel well chrome let me know trsjr61@hotmail.com thanks tom

Friday, December 14, 2012 3:46 PM
Thomas,
Where are you located?

Friday, January 18, 2013 4:35 PM
Hi Paul,

My name is Walter Lewis, and Thomas Stroup and I are very good friends. We both have 1st Generation Cavaliers, in fact I will try to figure out a way to post pictures of the two cars. If the parts Tom wrote about, the power seat tracks and the wheel well molding are still available, we want them!

I was out at Tom's last week, and he suffered a computer crash, so that's why I'm contacting you. I just joined this forum, and I hope we can contribute a lot as well as learn a lot. We've parted out quite a few Cavaliers and a couple of Sunbirds (Tom's got a gorgeous Russet colored Sunbird Convertible with 68,000 original miles on it, as well as his 85 Cavalier Convertible. I have an '84 Cavalier Convertible

We're located in South East Michigan, Tom's in Harrison Township, and I'm in Warren. If you'd like to email me, my email is Hornist9@gmail.com
Friday, January 18, 2013 7:44 PM
Welcome to j-body!!!!

Can't wait to pics of your car. As you can see I have two 84 Verts. One is very nice and the other is a work in progress.

The seat tracks were at a local Junk yard here near me. I got the plastics off them last fall for a member here. If the tracks are still in the car and no-one has grabbed them, I might be able to get them in the next few weeks. Let me know. BUT.... I replaced the drivers side power track in my brown vert with a Cimarron one and it just feels too high. The old one was flaky so I threw it out and now I am kicking my self as it just does not feel right when the top is up. I guess I will have to see when summer comes and I have it on the road. Also if you are replacing Cavalier seat rails with Cimarron rails the plastics are different. You can see the slight difference in color in the pic. I do have new brown carpet for it but am waiting until the car is painted to swap it in.

Friday, January 18, 2013 8:01 PM
IDK if it is helpful, but when I was putting power seats on my 2 J's I remember there being a plastic spacer in there. I think it was about 3/8 inch thick made of plastic. Looked like a big ole washer in there. You might be able to remove it and lower you a little bit more. Also I found you can recline the seat back a bit and ease the set a little closer, but that works best if you got the tilt column. Maybe that might help ya a little, I know it gotta be a PIA to be sitting up too high in a 'Vert with the top down!!

Friday, January 18, 2013 8:52 PM
I had put those spacers in and wow it was really high. Removed them and it still seems high to me, but maybe I'm just paranoid.

Saturday, January 19, 2013 11:49 AM
Walter-

I think I have run into both You and Thomas at some previous car cruises. You don't normally see two first gen js together so it tends to stick in ones mind . I think most recently at the Harper Cruise. I had my Bird parked in front of Advanced Training Techniques (old Woods Trophy) on the west side of Harper.

I switch between my Sunbird and 94 Z28 for cruises (and depending on who is together at the time).

The Cimmaron in the O/P is long gone. It was at Parts Galore on 8 Mile at Hoover. They turn their inventory about every 90 days so if you want it, you have to jump right away.

lmk if you guys are looking for any parts - I can keep my eyes open.

Saturday, January 19, 2013 5:55 PM
If anyone happens to get super lucky and runs into a set of these dark blue Cimmaron Leather ones, keep me in mind. Love these seats!! Firstly I'm mainly in need of the seat bottom, which once separated is actually quite light and easy to box up. So even if the color is wrong but the seat bottom cushion is in good shape I can use that. The foam insert has metal pieces that tend to distort and break in these for some reason. Also these leather ones with all those little grooves in them have a slightly different foam insert inside them than the standard seats. Another GM extra J-Part!!
One of my leather seats has a tear from those darn pieces of metal that came through. If I'm lucky enough to come across any others I'll be able to either use a piece off the extra seat to have the first one patched, or even replace it with another good one.
I thinks I'm the only J-Bodied Nut that runs around in a daily long top with power leather seats........but at least I'm a Happy Nut!!
Thanks Folks!!

Saturday, January 19, 2013 6:21 PM
Orlen there is a Cimarron at the local yard near me and I think the seats were in good shape. I'm hoping to get over there within the next few weeks weather permitting.

Saturday, January 19, 2013 6:45 PM
OK John! Thanks for keeping an eye out for me. :-)

Saturday, January 19, 2013 8:48 PM
Paul,

My seats are out of a 1990 Sunbird. Mine seats from my Cavalier were just worn out. I want to convert them to power due to my disability. I get quite uncomfortable when I drive any long distance. Last year's Woodward Dream Cruise about wore me out. I think I can change the angle of my seat with them. Tom's very good at jerry rigging parts. We've done quite a bit. We've parted out a couple of "Birds" as well as a couple of Cavaliers. We saw a Cimmaron at a used car lot in Mt. Clemens, the seats were shot, and when we inquired about it, the lot owner wanted $2500.00 for it and wouldn't come off of the price. Just too much, the most we paid for any of our parts car was $500.00 and that was the first one I bought.

I hope those tracks are there!

Orlen,

Nice seats! My seats in my Cavalier are white leather. Eventually, I'm going to have my interior, (minus the carpet, it's new) redone. What we want to do is to adapt the power seat tracks and controls to work on my existing seats.

Saturday, January 19, 2013 9:21 PM
Thanks Walter!

Just a heads up. I've read and heard that all the J-Body seats are interchangeable across all 3 gens. Mounting the hardware ought to be a snap - the main PIA will be the plastic bracket that holds the controls.
I gotta a few photos to help you on your way.

Here is the power setup and the plastic bracket I'm talking about.

Make sure you get this lil bugger, ya gonna need it.

These next 2 photos will so you where the bracket is mounted, I'm doubting the newer seats will have the same screw locations so this will be your headache.

Hope you show us some photos of your ride and also of the seats when you get them "Powered Up"!!
Also, if you are suffering for fatigue driving I'd suggest swapping in a tilt column if you don't have one. The combination of the tilt and the power seats and tilting seat back makes for a great seating position!! The early 2 bucket headlight models will easily swap with the later 4 bucket models.I currently have a tilt column out of an '83 Cavalier in my 84 J-2000 Sunbird, and the column in my '86 Cavalier wagon (Auto) came out of an 86 Caddy Cimarron 5 Speed. I get a little kick having to depress the little lever on the wagon to turn the Ignition to lock to remove the key required on the manual models...LoL Only things to be concerned with is the ignition switch down in the lower column. Standard columns will "push" their switch while tilt columns will "Pull" theirs. Just a lot of silly info I've gathered along my journey with the J's!! :-)
Good Luck & Have Fun!!

Saturday, January 19, 2013 10:02 PM
Wow Orlen!

Thanks for the pictures of the seats. I have a tilt column. I think one of the main problems about being uncomfortable is the fact that due to a surgery on my hip when I was 12 years old, my hip socket does NOT move at all. It was fused.

I am attempting to upload some pictures of my Cavalier. The trouble we're having is just finding the parts to be able to install them...We've looked at seat rails from GM 1970;s era Pontiac LeMans...nope, won't work...

The car right behind me in the picture belongs to fellow J-Body member Thomas Stroup. We're very good friends. This picture is from the "baby brother" of the famous Woodward Dream Cruise, The Eastpointe Gratiot Cruise in Eastpointe, Michigan. We were participating in their parade of cars during the cruise.
Saturday, January 19, 2013 10:03 PM
Do'ah, That was the wrong picture...Let me try another.
Saturday, January 19, 2013 10:13 PM

Sunday, January 20, 2013 6:45 AM
walter I have a drivers side power seat rack from 86 bird you are welcome to it . I am not sure if i have plastics or control switch any more replaced thee seats in my 84 bird in september and reused my plastics and switch so not sure if I saved those or not you can send me an email to k923@verizon.net if you want the power track.
Keith

[IMG]
Sunday, January 20, 2013 12:17 PM
Keith,

I sent you a private email vis a vis the seat tracks. Thanks very much. I look forward to hearing from you,

Walt
Monday, January 21, 2013 1:29 PM
Don't know if this helps you, but I seem to remember hearing F3 seats will fit with tracks right into a J, so any 82-91 Firebird/Camaro might give you what you're looking for; but good luck finding that in a junkyard before someone else gets to it.
Monday, January 21, 2013 1:47 PM
I just gotta slide in here and say that Red 'Vert makesme wanna say"

"!! BaseBall ,Hot Dawgs, Apple Pie & Chevrolet !!"

Yep Wayne, I gotta agree finding F3 seats are probably gonna be harder than even finding J seats!! Especially White ones!! A lot of the F3's I notice rolling these days have some very sorry seats in them already. I'm terribly lucky I've scored some very nice seats out of a Firenza and Cimarron. But I always keep my eyes open anyways.

Monday, January 21, 2013 3:50 PM
I can speak for interchangeability between the 3rd gen F-car and the First Gen J-car for the radios and door lock/handle hardware so far. Not sure about the seats...

Monday, January 21, 2013 6:37 PM
Found this on YouTube. Got a little bit of assembly line footage...First I've seen for a 1st Gen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbHsfdCoJLY

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 12:05 PM
I know for a fact that the power door switches for a Camaro will work on Cavaliers because I purchased a set from Classic Industries. Those new switches work perfectly.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search